Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 12   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 101

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 12 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 13 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: Webmaster on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 11:39

Canada - Stuu
Rain in Canada. Cant wait!

Canada - R.P.
Sorry got distracted by my tea before I moved Stuart's post in here !

Canada - Stuu
Red flag. Could be good for Koby as he will get a free tyre change and remain in 2nd so fingers crossed he will get a shot at the podium on the restart

Championship is over pretty much though. Hamilton is done now.

Canada - Zero
Hamilton seems to have lost his marbles.
 Canada - Stuu
I dont think insanity is his problem.

His problem is frustration which he needs to manage better. Theres no championship to fight for anymore this year so best he spends the rest of the season managing his temper.
He did alot better when he didnt talk to the press and his dad was managing him.

Canada - Stuu
Brundle seems to be suggesting Jenson knew he was there having seen the footage, but i cant believe Jenson would take that risk. He certainly did look.

Canada - Zero
He was driving into a narrowing gap, he had time to back out of there.

Canada - Skoda
Poor Lewis. Can't help but sympathise, he was wrong, but still. I'd rather see him get a better car than change his style.

What's the deal with Brundle and Coulthard, they're as bad as each other with the thinly veiled bickering.

Canada - Zero
Bit of a washout this.

Canada - rtj70
Hamilton got his rain... also now moved to BBC2. A washout it is.

Canada - helicopter
So what happened then......
I saw Lewis get into Jensen but had to go out...

Was it abandoned?

Canada - Zero
Restarted, on BBC2 now, an hour to go.

Canada - helicopter
Cannot get BBC2 in Crete......

Wondered why there was no result ...

I will check on Greek telly and see if its still on..

Canada - rtj70
Button wins! After Vettel made a mistake on the last lap. :-)

Canada - corax
Wow! What a race! I was hoping Button would pressure Vettel into making a mistake, and there it was. Good man!

Canada - Zero
Wooooooooo

Last corner shocker!

Canada - helicopter
Brilliant result for Jensen....

Canada - Zero
Silly boy hamilton would have mullered this race.....

Had he still been in it.

Don't forget Jenson has to face the stewards over the clash with Alonso.,

Canada - rtj70
>> Don't forget Jenson has to face the stewards over the clash with Alonso.,

Hopefully a racing incident. He even had a drive through penalty and won. Because again he got on the right tyre early. Although he got it wrong earlier in the race.

Canada - Dave_
>> He even had a drive through penalty and won

And made six pitstops!

They can't be that concerned about the stewards, they've just awarded the trophies and champagne.

Canada - Stuartli
Well worth waiting for in the end..:-)

The marshal leaning on a brush in between playing King Canute kept me amused - bet he was a local council worker...

Canada - Dave_
So Vettel cracked a mile from the end of the race, overcooked it slightly and allowed Button through to take the victory.

The best final 60 seconds of an F1 race since Brazil 2008.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 22:10

Canada - corax
I'm just glad to see someone else win for a change and break the tedium. An awesome end to an incident packed race.

Some great flashes of the old Shumey as well. If he had a faster car....
Last edited by: corax on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 22:17

Canada - zookeeper
well worth the wait

Canada - lancara
brittv.co.uk/

Canada - Skoda
That was outstanding at the end. Didn't feel sorry for Schuie or Vettel, Jenson deserved that.

Canada - Londoner
A very pleasing pair of results for me today - Button winning the F1 race in Canada, and Audi winning at Le Mans (again), despite skulduggery from Peugeot.

Canada - Westpig
Definitely Button driver of the day.....what a cracking end to a race.

Drive through penalty, extra pit stops needed...comes up behind Webber and Schumacher having a splendid ding dong...despatches those two....then ends up winning as Vettel has a wobble on the last lap?

I can't believe Button's pace, although he's always been good in the wet.

Canada - henry k
>> Definitely Button driver of the day.....what a cracking end to a race.
>>
> I can't believe Button's pace, although he's always been good in the wet.
>>
IIRC did not Martin Whitmarsh say at practice that they had set the car up for a wet race ?
If so a great call especially with Button really in the groove.

Canada - Dave_
The safety car came out five times in total. Still beaten by Le Mans though, where during one prolonged safety car period they had to return to the pits to refuel :)

Canada - VxFan
As Seb would say:-

"That's what I'm talking about"

One heck of a race (eventually)

Canada - Armel Coussine
Button was quite lucky to escape unscathed from punting his teammate into the wall and Alonso onto a high kerb. At the end there he had some amazing pace. He occupied every position on the grid in the course of the race, including last, and had five pit stops and a drivethrough. Extraordinary.

I had hopes at one point of a Kobayashi podium, but he couldn't hang on up at the front there. Only made three stops though I think.

We had to go to London today and I thought I was going to miss the race. But I went to the pub about 6 and it was showing on both screens. You couldn't hear the commentary but it wasn't strictly necessary. When rain stopped the race it was time for me to go. I picked up herself and we came back here 50 miles plus in rain, not as heavy as in Montreal though. When we got here to my amazement the race had just restarted so I saw the rest of it. Very convenient somehow.

Canada - smokie
"What's the deal with Brundle and Coulthard"

Brundle used to be Coulthard's manager. I'm enjoying Coulthard, he manages to slap down that twit Eddie Jordan at least once an episode.

I missed the second half of the race, was travelling and iPlayer only had it to the end of the BBC1 coverage. Good result though, nice to see someone else on the top step but I'm not anti Vettel.

Le Mans was a stonker too - two out of three Audis in spectacular crashes and the third one won. I'm finding I enjoy the racing more at Le Mans from my armchair, but there is nothing like actually being there. I guess that's true of all these types of events.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 17 Jun 11 at 01:02

Canada - Roger.
Ah - Eddie Jordan - a rat peering out of a bear's fundament!

Canada - Westpig
The BBC really need to sort their act out re the coverage though. Why not just show the damned thing on BBC2 to start with, then when (rather than if) there has to be extended coverage we don't have all the shenanigans with the wrong channel having being taped when they switch it to BBC2 (same with the HD channels).

I normally tape it and watch it on a delay...yesterday, luckily, I was watching it live...otherwise I would have missed the best bit...by far.

...and a small screen in your office watching it on i player because you've missed it on the t.v.......is no substitute to widescreen HD either

Canada - rtj70
I usually watch it on a delay so boring bits can be speeded forward. I soon realised I was going to have missed the restart... except I didn't because the delay was so long I watched it live. But then couldn't fast forward the boring bits ;-)

Canada - Zero
>> The BBC really need to sort their act out re the coverage though. Why not
>> just show the damned thing on BBC2 to start with, then when (rather than if)
>> there has to be extended coverage we don't have all the shenanigans with the wrong
>> channel having being taped when they switch it to BBC2 (same with the HD channels).

Oh come on, they pushed the scheduled end time way past normal bedtime, right up to to the point they could drop scheduling no more (due to a two parter) and then dumped BBC2 schedules to fit it in on the channel swap. What more could they have possibly done.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 12:24
 Canada - rtj70
Has an F1 race ever been delayed so much after a red flag? Coverage started at 5pm and ended around 10pm. What would ITV have done in that situation I wonder? I think the BBC did well. What it tells us though is if you suspect it might rain on a GP day and want to record it, then best have backup plans.

Canada - BiggerBadderDave
"Why not just show the damned thing on BBC2"

I watch it on BBC news SKY 503. Press the red button and go to page 3001 and select the F1. Never gets interrupted or switched around and they play the whole Forum stuff afterwards for another couple of hours which I enjoy.

EDIT - then they repeat it and loop it, so if you do miss it you can catch it at any time. On a proper telly in widescreen.

EDIT EDIT - And there are other motorsports on there too.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 12:38

Canada - BiggerBadderDave
Missed the third edit.

EDIT EDIT EDIT - And on race day they play a classic F1 race for you in the hours leading up, so yesterday I watch Giles Villeneuve racing in Canada in the 70s with Murray Walker commentating. Fabulous.

Canada - Hard Cheese

The BBC coverage is great though it was a shame that the pulled it off Freeview HD when it went to BBC2.

Otherwise re the race, it should not have started under the safety car and also the SC was out tooooooooo long after the stoppage.

Canada - Stuartli
>>The BBC coverage is great though it was a shame that the pulled it off Freeview HD when it went to BBC2.>>

It didn't. It was on Channel 54, but a few minutes after the switchover to BBC2. I would suspect it was the same with Freesat, but I didn't check as Brundle stated during the commentary that the move to include HD coverage had just gone ahead.

Canada - Zero
>> >>The BBC coverage is great though it was a shame that the pulled it off
>> Freeview HD when it went to BBC2.>>
>>
>> It didn't. It was on Channel 54, but a few minutes after the switchover to
>> BBC2.

It was on BBC1HD then moved to BBC non HD.

Canada - Stuartli
>>It was on BBC1HD then moved to BBC non HD. >>

I watched it in HD when the race was actually run - it was transmitted on what is now normally termed the BBC HD Preview Channel...:-) Some BBC2 programmes are shown in HD on this channel.

PS

Good example was this afternoon's Andy Murray tennis final match.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 15:58

Canada - Zero
So it moved from BBC1 HD to BBC HD & BBC2?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 16:24

Canada - Stuartli
>>So it moved from BBC1 HD to BBC HD & BBC2?>>

Yes, around 9pm. The HD coverage (on Freeview) was Channel 54 (BBC1 HD is 50) and commenced a few minutes after the switch to BBC2.

On Freesat BBC1 HD is, as you will be aware, on 108 and the HD Preview channel on 109.

I would presume that either the HD Preview channel was showing a programme that was just about to finish or arrangements had to be taken to take the F1 coverage.

Canada - Hard Cheese

>> So it moved from BBC1 HD to BBC HD & BBC2?
>>

Not in our area, it was on BBC1 and BBC1 HD then it moved to BBC2 at 9:00 at which time both BBC1HD and BBCHD were taken up with other things.

Canada - Westpig
>> I watch it on BBC news SKY 503.

Can you get that HD?

Canada - Stuartli
>>>The BBC really need to sort their act out re the coverage though. Why not just show the damned thing on BBC2 to start with, then when (rather than if) there has to be extended coverage we don't have all the shenanigans with the wrong channel having being taped when they switch it to BBC2 (same with the HD channels).>>

How was the BBC supposed to know at the beginning of the F1 season that the Canadian race would be so dramatically delayed when it was shown? I thought the way it improvised so that none of the event was missed was noteworthy.
 Canada - Dutchie
Good race Button was flying and deserved to win.

Vettel nice lad is human made a mistake,looking forward to the next race quite a few talented drivers out there.

Canada - BobbyG
Couldn't help but think that Coulthard and Brundle would have wished they were on ITV yesterday and would have been able to keep taking advertisement breaks.

There are only so many times you can mention that its raining, the race is red flagged and we hope to get going soon!!

Inferior equipment - Mike Hannon
I haven't watched Formula 1 much this season, I usually tape the race and fast forward through all the dull bits so it takes about ten minutes to watch.
I did however watch the last race (before Montreal) and bored SWMBO with a long tirade about what a farce the whole thing had become, with four tyre stops in a race of less than two hours, obviously a desperate attempt to keep re-shuffling the pack in races made stultifyingly boring by the lack of racing overtaking.
Today I caught up with Motor Sport as far as the May 2011 edition and read Nigel Roebuck saying Pirelli have been actually instructed to come up with tyres that go off quickly and produce more pit-stops.
I'm not sure whether I think it's pathetic or disgraceful. Or both.
I gather efforts are being made to attract a new generation of F1 fans. All I can say is the sort of watchers that this type of strategy attracts will probably get bored after a race or two, or a season or two and go back to their computer games. Lifetime enthusiasts will soon not exist.
Rant over.

Oh, and then I read that LH says he is driving the way he thinks necessary to attract young fans and that he is emulating his hero, Ayrton Senna. He should remember that Senna is dead and, luckily, some of his tactics died with him.

What I forgot to say was, how does the notion of developing tyres that wear out quickly square with the theory that F1 advances technology for road cars?
I have Pirelli P6000s on the Beast because they are specified for XJSs with optional 'sports' suspension. They seem to be lasting very well...

Inferior equipment - Zero

>> I gather efforts are being made to attract a new generation of F1 fans. All
>> I can say is the sort of watchers that this type of strategy attracts will
>> probably get bored after a race or two, or a season or two and go
>> back to their computer games. Lifetime enthusiasts will soon not exist.
>> Rant over.

Not sure what planet you get your F1 broadcasts from? Almost without exception this has been a pretty dramatic season to date, and even with Vettel so far in front to be a distant spec, myself as a 40 year F1 veteran watcher, think its been tremendous,

Inferior equipment - Old Navy
>> Not sure what planet you get your F1 broadcasts from? Almost without exception this has
>> been a pretty dramatic season to date, and even with Vettel so far in front
>> to be a distant spec, myself as a 40 year F1 veteran watcher, think its
>> been tremendous,
>>

You are not the computer game generation, and you have a 40 year habit.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 18:21

Inferior equipment - Armel Coussine
>> this has been a pretty dramatic season to date,

Quite Zeddo. But I agree with MH that it's a step too far asking a firm to deliberately manufacture very crap (although not cheap I am sure) tyres.

In fact I don't like any of the tight rules that tend to make all the cars very similar and stifle the differences in design and sporting philosophy between the teams. Nor do I like reforms of the rules to curb power and speed on safety grounds. Having lived with such over regulation for years though I am afraid we're stuck with it.
 Inferior equipment - John H
>> Oh, and then I read that LH says he is driving the way he thinks
>> necessary to attract young fans and that he is emulating his hero, Ayrton Senna. He
>> should remember that Senna is dead and, luckily, some of his tactics died with him.
>>

The race stewards had no issue with Hamilton's driving yesterday.

They did investigate Button. He managed to shunt off two of his near rivals Hamilton and Alonso. Lucky he wasn't:
- Schumi (as in "Schumacher pushed his former team-mate within centimetres of a concrete wall as the pair were travelling at 180mph, late in the Hungarian Grand Prix")
- or Hamilton (as in pushing Massa off at the chicane in Monaco)
as otherwise Jenson might have had to tell a joke to the BBC "Is it coz I is white"?.

www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/13/button-escapes-penalties-hamilton-alonso-crashes/
"Jenson Button will keep his win in the Canadian Grand Prix after the stewards declined to punish him for collisions with Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso."

Last edited by: John H on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 18:18

Inferior equipment - Stuartli
My view is that the consistently high level of true racing is found in the British Touring Car Championships and also in some of the other motor sport races shown during the day's coverage on ITV4.
>> My view is that the consistently high level of true racing is found in the
>> British Touring Car Championships

Which is more heavily regulated than F1. Even to the extent of handicapping cars.

Inferior equipment - Westpig
Some of you are missing the point when I moaned about the BBC coverage.

F1 races can and will be unpredictable, we all know that in advance. When I tape it I tape the programme afterwards just in case.

My point is...the BBC know this....sometimes there are accidents, sometimes it's the weather....so put it one one channel and LEAVE IT THERE.

If it's BBC2 (or the HD equivalent), right from the start, so what? But to change the channel half way through something sods it up for those of us that tape it.

I more than take the point that the BBC (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't have forecast a 2 hour red flag for poor weather...but this isn't the first time there's been a delay and the BBC have switched channels.

I presume they do it for viewing figures i.e. they don't want it on BBC2 when BBC1 can grab more viewing figures...then when it sods up their schedules too much, they switch channels.

Do I have to tape BBC1 and BBC2, plus extra time, just in case they might switch a channel?

You'r being completely unfair, and not a little blinkered.

You cannot plan for an overrun as large at the one this weekend. Frankly you were lucky to get full live coverage on any channel. There are other viewers who want to see things.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 18:49
 Inferior equipment - Stuu
Cant see why the BBC should pander to those who cant find BBC2, its not hidden anywhere, I managed to find it using one button. I should really apply to the social to see if that entitles me to some assistance ( maybe a butler to do it for me? ).

If one cannot operate a TV its also on BBC website aswell.

IF you really wanna watch it, you can, if you dont but you like a good moan and have nothing else better to do, you moan about a channel change in extreme circumstances - for heavens sake they buried Antiques Roadshow so we could hear Marty and Davy natter on about nothing for two hours, Aspel is writing to his MP as we speak!

There is of course another option being discussed elsewhere involving pharmaceutical assistance, which may fill in the gaps in ones life.

:-)

Inferior equipment - Dutchie
I have a gut feeling that Hamilton will move on.He had a friendly meeting with Red Bull.

Maybe Chinese Rumours.

Or he is firing a shot across the bow in the Whitmarsh direction. They have failed 3 years in a row to supply a car thats on the money, something in the design department needs to change I suspect.
Look at whats going on at Ferrari, so id expect something big for next season because his contract is up in 2012. Wouldnt blame him at all if he left after that, although where he went I dont know, cant see it being RBR with Vettel there.

>> Look at whats going on at Ferrari,

Yeah, going backwards,

There are two places to be, and he is one of them.

I was referring to their restructure, not their technical progress.

It covered both.

Inferior equipment - Slidingpillar
Might be less Red Bull dominance after hot blown diffusers are almost banned. They are supposed to be the team that makes the most from this technology.

see en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/51400.html

>> You'r being completely unfair, and not a little blinkered.
>>
>> You cannot plan for an overrun as large at the one this weekend. Frankly you
>> were lucky to get full live coverage on any channel. There are other viewers who
>> want to see things.

If they were willing/able to show the second part on BBC2...why not show the whole lot on BBC2?.....That's my point, it's a sport that can quite easily overrun...and this is the second time they've changed channel half way through.

>> If they were willing/able to show the second part on BBC2...why not show the whole
>> lot on BBC2?.....That's my point, it's a sport that can quite easily overrun...and this is
>> the second time they've changed channel half way through.
>
Because we wanted to see it in HD, there is no BBC2 HD

Because other people want to see other things.

Because you cant tie up any one channel with 5 hours - yes the program ran for 5 hours, of one minority sport.

It can over run, but tell me, when was the last time the actual race overran by 2 Hours?

>>>> >
>> Because we wanted to see it in HD, there is no BBC2 HD
>>
There is another HD channel....BBC changed the F1 coverage from 'BBC One HD' to 'BBC HD'.

You are deliberately missing the point Zero. I have no problem with the concept of a minority sport taking second best to viewing figures, albeit would still be disappointed...or Sunday peak time viewing being important to those people not interested in F1...but consider that if BBC2 WAS worthy of showing the second half, as was BBC HD, then why not START it on those channels, when this is now the second time this has happened and the sport can often overrun with shunts etc.

I agree that a two hour interlude would never be forecast by TV planners and would never expect anyone to try.

>> You are deliberately missing the point Zero.

Sorry but I think you are.

>> I agree that a two hour interlude would never be forecast by TV planners and
>> would never expect anyone to try.

Exactly so it makes no difference if it starts on BBC1 or BBC2

Given that 19 of the planned 20 races will end on time, there is no reason not to schedule it on your prime best definition channel, is there.

In my book they did a good job. On ITV it would have got the chop.

Edit, and clearly they had an hour slack built in on the primary channel, could you reasonably expect to plan more than that?

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 14 Jun 11 at 20:06

Inferior equipment - rtj70
>> in my book they did a good job. On ITV it would have got the chop.
Not sure what ITV would do but have vague memories of them perhaps doing that!

Inferior equipment - Hard Cheese

>> in my book they did a good job.
>>

Agreed, cant realy complain that it was not on HD after 9:00pm, after all I would have complained if a drama or whatever I were following was kicked off HD because something horsey over ran.

>> Exactly so it makes no difference if it starts on BBC1 or BBC2
>>
Of course it makes a difference. BBC1 is their Premium channel, they have other things on that a majority might want to watch. BBC2 isn't, so it gets the secondary stuff.

Whenever the GP is due to be on, we always tape the programme afterwards, in case there are delays, so we don't get caught out and miss the action. I cannot see the programme if they swap channels half way through, because obviously I won't have taped that channel. So do I now have to tape both BBC1 and BBC2 and the space afterwards, in case of a delay...and not knowing which channel they'll put it on?

If I know in advance that there can easily be delays in that sport (hence why I habitually tape the following channel)..then so should the BBC.

If they stuck it on BBC2 for its' entirety, they wouldn't need to have to swap channels, bearing in mind this is the second time it has happened.

There are many people like me who through busy lives or shift work or going away for the weekend or coming back from holiday, etc, cannot always be at home to watch it live...so look forward to it via a recording.

If this was a one off, i'd agree my stance might well be a tad pedantic...it isn't, it's happened before...and will no doubt happen again, particularly from an accident perspective...look how long it took to repair the barriers at Le Mans after McNish's little episode.

Think of it another way. You're taping an English rugby match, you can't watch it live through work/social reasons, so you're looking forward to a tinny and watching it when you get home. Half way through the match there's a floodlight failure which takes ages to fix, and the match resumes well late...by which time, BBC changes the coverage to another channel you haven't taped....miffed?......Same thing i'm saying. Only the floodlight failure, to some extent, is expected on the odd occasion.

If a programme I had to record at 9pm on the BBC was cancelled/moved I'd be unhappy. As it happens that didn't happen.

The rugby example is no different. They can only do their best.

I did notice on Freeview (I also recorded it on the iMac) that the schedule was being updated and so until the switch to BBC2 it automatically extended the recording. At least we all have iPlayer to fall back on these days. And it was rerun around 1am, not that long after it really finished.

I must say the BBC did well to cover this. What would ITV have done? Or Sky?

Inferior equipment - Robin O'Reliant
>> I must say the BBC did well to cover this. What would ITV have done?
>> Or Sky?
>>
ITV would have gone to an ad break at the start of the last lap.

>> If I know in advance that there can easily be delays in that sport (hence
>> why I habitually tape the following channel)..then so should the BBC.

So even your ultimate planning would have been caught short because it over ran your following program as well. So had we put you in charge of BBC you would have screwed up as well given the unique circumstances. Yes they were unique.

Look at the end of the day, the rest of us managed to watch it to the end, no problem. Sorry you missed it, but that's life. The BBC did the right thing by the rest of us, and if that's upset you then < Shrug >

>> Look at the end of the day, the rest of us managed to watch it
>> to the end, no problem. Sorry you missed it, but that's life. The BBC did
>> the right thing by the rest of us, and if that's upset you then <
>> Shrug >
>>

I would say that the BBC did not have to move the GP to another channel, what would have been wrong in announcing during the GP broadcast that anyone awaiting programme X at 9:00pm should turnover to BBC2.

Inferior equipment - VxFan
>> I would say that the BBC did not have to move the GP to another channel, what would have been wrong in announcing during the GP broadcast that anyone awaiting programme X at 9:00pm should turnover to BBC2.

Yes, I agree. But since when did the BBC do anything logical?

I suspect it's got a lot to do with the HD broadcast thingy. Obviously everything else HD wise takes priority over F1.

Inferior equipment - BiggerBadderDave
"what would have been wrong in announcing during the GP broadcast that anyone awaiting programme X at 9:00pm should turnover to BBC2"

Because all the Antiques Road Show forums would be full of posters complaining that they recorded the ARS and ended up with an hour of footage from a rainy race track in Canada.

>> There is another HD channel....BBC changed the F1 coverage from 'BBC One HD' to 'BBC HD'.>>

Not in our area they didnt, after 9:00pm it was on BBC2 only.

>>Not in our area they didnt, after 9:00pm it was on BBC2 only.>>

The BBC cannot regionalise its HD transmissions at present, unlike ITV, but as I've already pointed out I watched the BBC2 HD F1 coverage on Channel 54 on Freeview - no doubt it was also on Channel 109 on Freesat...:-)

It was Martin Brundle, I think, who stated a little while after 9pm that the HD transmission had started - I was already tuned into it by then.

Inferior equipment - VxFan
>> Because you cant tie up any one channel with 5 hours

The London Marathon does. Thankfully they didn't stay with it to wait for Eddie Kidd to finish (congrats go out to him, btw)

I'm sure if the GP was scheduled for 5 hours they'd cover it. But you can't schedule 5 hours just in case. I still think the BBC did a good job of making sure it was shown. If you were watching it then you'd have known you had to turn over.

But who'd be watching any sporting programme for all 5 hours?

>>Do I have to tape BBC1 and BBC2, plus extra time, just in case they might switch a channel?>>

Are you able to provide the last time such a scenario arose...?

Have to wonder why someone in this day and age needs to 'tape' anything, unless they are over 90 and are sticking to the tech still around when they retired!

I think it was a figure of speech Stu. He meant recording.... probably a Sky or Freeview type PVR.

I know, but its picky picky week isnt it? :-)

>> I know, but its picky picky week isnt it? :-)
>>
Not from me it isn't. I like to tape (for that read 'record') it ..... on the HD channel...because I work shifts occasionally and am not at home to see it and/or don't always want to watch/have time for some of the blather, so can fast forward through that bit.

I see no reason why they cannot show it continuously on one channel. If BBC1 (or the equivalent HD channel) is too precious to overrun, then show it on the secondary channel to start with, so it can be an uninterrupted transmission.

I cannot see why that is an unreasonable viewpoint.
Last edited by: Westpig on Tue 14 Jun 11 at 19:35

Most of here think its an unreasonable standpoint, given the particular circumstances of this race.
 Inferior equipment - bathtub tom
OI!

I bought one of the last CRT 4:3 tele's while I still could. I'd still be using my old VCR if my area hadn't gone over, wholly to digital. With an analogue signal and a digi-box I had far more flexibility than I've got now with a PVR.

I've nearly another thirty years to go to meet your 'over 90' criteria. ;>)

>>I've nearly another thirty years to go to meet your 'over 90' criteria. ;>)<<

By then you wont be able to load it up with coal each morning ;-)

Inferior equipment - Dave_
I bought my first Freeview PVR on ebay last week, in advance of our switchover in September. It's a clever piece of kit, isn't it? I've had to unplug the video to make way for it...

It changes channel every time I alter the TV volume though, but hey, I only paid 11 quid for the thing.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 14 Jun 11 at 00:31

Inferior equipment - BiggerBadderDave
"It changes channel every time I alter the TV volume though, but hey, I only paid 11 quid for the thing."

In our bedroom, the sky remote switches the surround sound on and off when I press the top arrow. Occasionally it switches the HD/DVD on and off or just brings the info up on the screen. One of the light switches switches the surround sound on when it's pressed. In combinations, it drives me absolutely crazy.

>>
>> In our bedroom, >>

Oh honey keep pressing that remote it drives me absolutely crazy.

;-)

Inferior equipment - Dave_
A quick search for remote control conflicts brings up a lot of similar experiences but, sadly, no solutions apart from taping a small, angled cardboard "tunnel" around the offending device's IR receiver. Hardly elegant.

Inferior equipment - Runfer D'Hills
We've lost the remote for our telly in the kitchen and now have to use the manual buttons actually on the TV. Saves a fortune in gym memberships.

Inferior equipment - WillDeBeest
BBD, you might like to try changing your light bulbs. I've read on the ever-reliable Internet that certain compact fluorescent types emit in the same IR band as some remote controls (Virgin Media boxes seem particularly susceptible), which can cause the kind of erratic behaviour you describe.

That was my first ever post in an F1 thread. Not even sure why I came in here.
}:---)

Inferior equipment - bathtub tom
>>By then you wont be able to load it up with coal each morning ;-)

I'm still recording audio cassettes to listen to in the old KIA. ;>)

No I wasn't using a generic term. I meant what I said - 'tape'.
I hardly watch any television, just the French local news and teletext, Hill Street Blues (which I tape) because a friend gave me a satellite dish back along, thinking I was deprived and I accidentally tuned it to Astra 28 instead of 19.2, together with a bit of F1 to please my friend who, unsurprisingly, keeps taking money off me in bets.
As my life is not structured around watching TV (is that an out of date expression as well?) I don't feel the need to invest beyond the combined VCR/DVD player I bought for 99 euros a few years ago. This machine also enables me to play the odd disc my friends pass on or I pick up in charity shops in the UK - where apparently they give them out free with newspapers.

>>We've lost the remote for our telly in the kitchen and now have to use the manual buttons actually on the TV. Saves a fortune in gym memberships. <<

Back in the 1970s, when I did watch more television, I pre-dated wireless remote control by keeping a kidney bean stick behind the sofa and prodding the big square buttons on our state of the art Philips G8 colour set with it.

As I have mentioned on here before, I still play records (including 78s) on equipment which I regard as of the highest quality although it's old and still, occasionally, record cassettes. If I had the room and inclination I'd still be using 15in per second open reel which I believe is, even now, the best quality of all because there are so few technical compromises.

Anyway, I don't want to create thread drift...
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 14 Jun 11 at 12:25

Latest Forum Posts