Motoring Discussion > Succession planning Buying / Selling
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 9

Succession planning - WillDeBeest
Idle speculation, really, on my part, because the reality of static income and increasing prices of essentials means that the vehicles we have will have to stay with us for the foreseeable future. But just suppose things were to take a turn for the better, how might I go about moving things on?

Here, as the consultants might put it, is our As-is:

• 2002 Volvo S60 D5 Once my company car and our main family transport, since relegated to being my drive-to-work and drive-to-cricket car. Comfortable seats, superb audio and peerless ergonomics came into their own when I had a 170-mile round trip to work and it was running up half of its 120,000 mile tally on the M40; it still has all those, of course, but these days my commute is 26 miles each way of 40mph A-road and congested M4 and the D5 shove in the back is seldom required. It swallowed a four-digit sum last year for a new DMF but has otherwise required only two minor interventions from the AA; on the other hand it can't last for ever and I would like replace it before my confidence dips.

• 2008 Toyota Verso 2.2D This was our answer to the problem of carrying our two boosted U10s and still having the option of fitting in an occasional extra adult or child. Space-wise it's been brilliant, and despite early injector problems, smoothly fixed under warranty, it has the expected Toyota solidity; but as a car it's been a disappointment. Ergonomics by Binatone, a jiggly ride and a strangely fatigue-inducing springy feel to the steering make it a bit of a chore on a long run. But oddly, Mrs B would rather drive it than the Volvo.

So what's the To-be? My Volvo experience has been so positive that now we're close to leaving boosters behind a V70 would carry us and everything we ever wanted to take with us. But that would leave us with two family buses and me driving to work in something that is bigger than strictly necessary.

So my other thought is to swap the Volvo for something smaller, but still big enough for four on occasion and assured enough to cruise the motorway, even if only at 50mph. The Verso can go on as family bus for a couple more years, then give way to a V70, whereupon the smaller car can become Mrs B's runabout.

Smaller options, just to start the discussion: Golf, Focus, C30, Prius. Go on, spend my money - even though I haven't even got it yet.
 Succession planning - Lygonos
Hyundai i10 Blue (zero road tax, "whopping" 1.0 litre engine) - under 7 grand on DTD.

or more 'realistically' an i30 1.4 Classic for £8625.

Absolute white goods vehicles though.

Or if you have a little more to burn the bottom spec MX5 is under 14 grand and is probably the best driver's car for the dosh.
Hmm, sometimes you don't know how well you've asked a question until someone offers an answer. }:---)
Thanks for trying anyway, Lygonos, so forgive me if I clarify my question by using your answers to show what I want to achieve.

MX5? Is there a Grand MX5 with a back seat that will accommodate two six-foot teenagers (as both will be by the time we've finished with this car), and a boot that will take a metre-long cricket bag? In any case, congestion round here means 'driver's car' qualities are largely irrelevant: you go at the speed of the vehicle in front. But driving environment matters a lot, so...

...As for white goods, it's the white-goods nature of the Verso that makes it so unappealing. The Volvo shortens long solo journeys by looking after the driver through thoughtful design and high-quality execution. While I'm sure Hyundais have improved since the truly horrid Accent I had as a discourtesy car some years ago, I still can't see myself getting into one at the end of a long day knowing that I'll at least have a smooth and comfortable drive home.
 Succession planning - NortonES2
If your traffic means sitting in the car for dreary spells, then good seats and surroundings help! How about a V50 assuming the seats are Volvo in spirit, not Ford of the over-weening penny pinchers?
 Succession planning - DP
If you like the S60, and you're talking about moving it on simply through age / confidence, why not replace it with a newer, lower mileage model? They are silly value at a couple of years old, and you'd benefit from the newer, gruntier D5 engine, to boot.

I would happily have another S60. Without a doubt the most comfortable, and best screwed together car I have ever driven.
 Succession planning - Lygonos
My post was largely tongue-in-cheek, but if you plan getting rid of both cars to have a single vehicle then how about an S80 - driving dynamics aren't high on your agenda but you'll get one of these for less than a new S60, and the ergonomics are good.

If you plan on having 2 vehicles - why have 2 family-sized lumps when 1 family-bus and 1 occasional/commuter vehicle may well be cheaper to run?

Running costs of the S80 1.6D start-stop are presumably quite low for such a car (119g/km CO2) and I've never read a review that suggested the engine wasn't up to making decent progress. If you want an automatic it'll need to be a bigger engine though.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 11:57
 Succession planning - ....
>> If you like the S60, and you're talking about moving it on simply through age
>> / confidence, why not replace it with a newer, lower mileage model? They are silly
>> value at a couple of years old, and you'd benefit from the newer, gruntier D5
>> engine, to boot.
>>
I don't know of anyone who is complementary about the EuIV engine, especially the fuel economy over the EuIII.
The newer cars also have some elements of Ford in them which were not there in WDB's example.
I have the facelift car, it's the silly little things like the washer jet system with Ford parts which fail, these add up to niggle. If you have got past the injector issue of the original car, I reckon they will outlive the later cars.
The original S60 and XC90 were the last of the Volvocars.

As for replacement. Something I've been thinking about for some time now...and I'm still driving the S60.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 12:25
>> but these days my commute is 26 miles each way of 40mph
>> A-road and congested M4 and the D5 shove in the back is seldom required.
>>

As you only do 26 miles each way the petrol bill shouldn't hurt too much :-)

www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/volvo/v70/2.5-r-5-dr/2005-(05)/ref/arndy-1467/

Just a shame it's the 2.5 and not the stronger 2.3
Nice, but not for me. It'll have to be the new, S80-based V70, which is much more spacious in the back - the S60's biggest weakness for us, and why I've discounted the idea of a newer one. And it's black - although I like the rich brown leather inside. If it was in that lovely pale metallic blue-green they did, I might just be persuaded.

No-one's risen to the bait on the Prius. It's a decent size for a motorway commute, won't often be called upon to go fast enough for its economy to suffer, and isn't big enough for Mrs B to find unwieldy in town, as she does the S60. And I confess I find it technically interesting. But would I swap my cosseting Volvo for another Toyota when we've been underwhelmed by the first one?
That Flash Green is quite eye catching.
www.volvoestates.co.uk/stock17.htm

I've been round the loop a few times. Prius, Smart Car and a new bike as I only have 10 miles each way, even thought about a 500 convertible but that was a step too far.

Smart Car and a bike is what I settled on then my job role changed. I need to wear a suit every day. My suits would look like they'd been through a mangle in a rucksack on a sportsbike.
Latest Forum Posts