Motoring Discussion > Insurance renewal time again Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Insurance renewal time again - BobbyG
Well its that time again, car insurance renewal.

Have completed the first "recce" of quotes but seeing huge differences in levels of cover and add-ons. Even things like protected no-claims, there is now a huge variance in what this may give you from company to company.

In one hand I just want to go with the cheapest quote but when you look at that there are some items you think that you could really do with.

Interestingly my existing insurer, Privilege, when I do an online quote as a new customer, , it is coming out dearer than my renewal.

Have the added complication that my car is insured with my wife as the policyholder, and her car is insured with me as the policyholder.

When we were first married, car was in her name and insurance. Then when family came along and car loan taken out, it was in my name but using her no claims. Then when second car came along it was in her name but with a new insurance policy started in my name!

Just spent an hour on the phone to Aviva trying to work out a way that I could switch the insurance to them so that both policies were with them and then do a change of car procedure so that we each owned and had insurance in our own names. But after an hour I gave up!
 Insurance renewal time again - Bigtee
Putting are gurt on the policy saved me £140.00 and they have never seen her drive.!!

Putting my mum on would have saved £90.00

But just me it's over £500.00, So lying is the best way forward are gurt is on and she won't be driving it trust me.
 Insurance renewal time again - Dave_
In my personal experience, they cost far more in other areas than they save on your insurance premiums.
Anyone any experience of Admiral Multi Car policy?
Quotes are looking very keen?
 Insurance renewal time again - Bromptonaut
Bobby,

Just moving our second car on to Admiral multi car. Previously I was with Elephant and Mrs B with Highway via Swinton. Done what they say on the tin in terms of policy paperwork and like heffalump there's no charge for foreign use. No need so far for the acid test of a claim though.

The decider for us was that they'd cover my 18yo daughter to drive either car (Xantia or Berlingo) at quotes close to what we'd paid previously for insured and spouse. Around £400 for each car.

Insurance renewal time again - Stuartli
Best way is to enter details on GoCompare, moneysupermarket.com and Confused.com.

If your current insurance company comes up the cheapest (yes, it happens regularly) cancel the current policy and take up the new offer when due.

Also see:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance
Bromptonaut, trawling through the Admiral policy wording now:

3 What is not covered
We will not pay:
where your car is taken or driven without your consent by a family member,
spouse or partner

So I am covered if Joe Bloggs steals it but not if a disgruntled family member takes it?

That seems strange to me - must check mu current policy wording!
 Insurance renewal time again - Meldrew
Mrs M was paying £400 to insure a bog-standard 207 and got a renewal for £500 with no changes to circumstances. Price comparison sites offered several @ £420 upwards. Rang the company and discussed it with them, and got £100 off the renewal, she is now paying just £3 more than last year. I have heard that workers in these call-centres have to sell so many policies per shift and to achieve this they have some flexibility on premiums as they get near the end of their 8 hours. Any truth in that I wonder?
 Insurance renewal time again - Londoner
>> I have heard that workers in these
>> call-centres have to sell so many policies per shift and to achieve this they have
>> some flexibility on premiums as they get near the end of their 8 hours. Any
>> truth in that I wonder?
>>
This could cut both ways. If the person that you are ringing has already met their "selling quota", then they don't have to be flexible at all.
 Insurance renewal time again - bhoywonder
Renewal time for me as well. Can get both cars insured with Admiral multicar for the less than what Bell have quoted me for my car alone. So it looks like I will be moving. As Bobby has said anybody know why there prices are keen. Is it a case of cheap first year then as normal prices will go zooming up next year.
Last edited by: bhoywonder on Tue 14 Jun 11 at 08:57
Bhoy, looking at Admiral's quotes they give the price for the renewal car just now and the price to add the next car at its renewal - but that is for less than a year to take it up to the renewal date for the first car so that both have the same renewal date. I didn't realise that at the time.

So in my case, the Beetle renewal is due in July but the Altea not till October.

Its all ifs buts and maybes but although the price for car 1 seems good, the annual equivalent price for car 2 is dearer than I am currently paying. I am currently paying £242 for my Altea but the full year Admiral renewal is nearer the £280 mark.Of course, when it comes to renewal (for me in October), then you would expect that price to rise but the two cars combined costs may actually be dearer than 2 individual policies.

I will continue to hunt around, still got a couple of weeks to go.
 Insurance renewal time again - bhoywonder
My quotes from Admiral for the Passat £284 Annual (Bell £492) and SWMBO Micra £176 Annual (Tesco £260). Granted I have not contacted Bell to haggle the price yet. I am away to read the same print about there policys.
 Insurance renewal time again - Falkirk Bairn
IIRC Admiral and Bell are sister companies
 Insurance renewal time again - Meldrew
Yes but if they jack up the price it will be more than I want to pay and I won't buy the policy! It is a win/win situation for me
Latest Forum Posts