Motoring Discussion > Parking Tribunal Annual Report Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 1

Parking Tribunal Annual Report - Bromptonaut
The Traffic Penalty Tribunal has recently issued a combined Annual Report covering 2008 to 2010. As well as the usual statistics on enforcement and appeals there’s some interesting narrative on usage of parking cameras and on the difficulties of enforcing dropped kerb/double parking infringements.

The report is available at tinyurl.com/64fclaq (pdf 2mb)

The Chief Adjudicator's foreword also flags an issue of much wider concern. We all know that at present, in private car parks, there is no right to enforce against the registered keeper. The site owner needs to identify the driver in order to progress any claim. The government’s so called Protection of Freedoms Bill will, if enacted as drawn, remove that ‘loophole’. Sections 54 – 56 of the draft bill and specifically Sch 4 para 4 provide a right to enforce against the registered keeper. so watch out Iffy!!!

The current vesion of the bill is on the parliament website tinyurl.com/68mjrok (pdf 730kb)
 Parking Tribunal Annual Report - Iffy
...remove that ‘loophole’. Sections 54 – 56 of the draft bill and specifically Sch 4 para 4 provide a right to enforce against the registered keeper. so watch out Iffy!!!...

Thank Bromp.

As I understand it, the bill also makes clamping formally illegal - it is already in Scotland.

There is some lobbying against legalised enforcement of any kind from people who are more militant on this issue than I am.

Were I trying to enforce scam tickets on private land, I would use clamps if my tickets were being routinely ignored.

Much harder to ignore or get around a clamp.

The problem with clamping is it cuts down on the profit margin, unless you can extort £250 to £300, instead of around £90 to £150 as at present.

It's impossible to get exact figures for the number of scam tickets paid, but about a third to a half seems the best guess.

The profit margin is still pretty good, especially at motorway service stations where the process is automated.

ANPR cameras snap you, the company has a computerised link to the DVLA to get your address, a scam invoice is automatically sent, and the money comes rolling in.

Except in my case, when it doesn't.

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 14 Jun 11 at 13:22
Latest Forum Posts