Motoring Discussion > Does a car's name put you off? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 121

Does a car's name put you off? - Iffy
What's in a name?

A Kia Venga passed me on the A19 today.

I don't doubt it's a good car - most Kias are - but I wouldn't buy one.

I'm a Tottenham fan and the manager of Ars*nal is called Wenger.

The idea of my car as a constant reminder of that lot does not appeal.

If the Venga was the last car in the showroom, I'd have it, much better than walking.

But while there's a choice, I will not consider a Venga.

Are there any car names which put you off?

And why?

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 18:11
 Does a car's name put you off? - Bobbin Threadbare
Most cars have stupid names!

The Peugeot Bipper - what the hell is a bipper?

The Ssangyong Rexton - I'm afraid I always laugh whenever I see one.

Anything with a name like a cat; the Clio!
 Does a car's name put you off? - Harleyman

>> The Peugeot Bipper - what the hell is a bipper?
>>
>> The Ssangyong Rexton - I'm afraid I always laugh whenever I see one.
>>
Those two get me as well. The Bipper makes me think of something small and annoying, and the other one sounds like a cheap hotel in a remote Asian town.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Armel Coussine
I was following a Bipper yesterday, first time I ever heard of one.

I thought the name was charming, pronounced the English way. But it's a French name and would be pronounced something more like 'Beepeur', suggesting computer beeps or horn beeps in traffic.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Ted

My pal in Cumbria is getting a Bipper...it's being made at the moment.
In Rumania...I think he said.
Some freinds in France have a Jumpy...can't remember if it's Peug or Citroen.
Looked to me like a Partner with windows and seats

Ted
 Does a car's name put you off? - Bromptonaut
>> Some freinds in France have a Jumpy...can't remember if it's Peug or Citroen.
>> Looked to me like a Partner with windows and seats

Jumpy is/was a Citroen. Cannot remember the model name over here but it was one of those PSA/Fiat badge engineered range - the FIAT equivalent was called the Scudo.

EDIT - Citroen Dispatch in UK market. The bigger Jumper sold here as the Relay.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 11:26
 Does a car's name put you off? - Westpig
>> Anything with a name like a cat;

Would you sniff at driving a Jaguar?....;-)
I would if I had to pay for the fuel ;-)
 Does a car's name put you off? - L'escargot
>> The Peugeot Bipper - what the hell is a bipper?

For what it's worth ............. tinyurl.com/2bw64t
 Does a car's name put you off? - DP
The Skoda Superb. Just a ridiculously cheesy name. To me it has connotations of those "Special" and "Super" stickers that people adorned their poverty spec rustbuckets with at one time.
I like Skodas, and I don't doubt the Superb actually is a superb car, but the name is awful. What's next, the Skoda Fabulous, the Skoda Great, or the Skoda Excellent?
 Does a car's name put you off? - rtj70
I was put off the Superb because of it's name... and looks. And higher emissions than some alternatives.

Likewise the Yeti is a stupid name too. A good car too.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Manatee
Superb, Yeti, Roomster...bit of a pattern there, no accident I suspect. Part of appealing to people who see themselves as not following the herd perhaps?
 Does a car's name put you off? - corax
Toyota Auris. Too close to orifice for my liking. I know you're supposed to pronounce it `Owris' but that's ridiculous. I'd still have one if it was good model, but it has nothing outstanding about it - at least the Corolla had enviable reliability and acceptable looks.
I nearly bought a Superb. Never even stopped to think about the name. Dad had about three Datsun Sunnys. I might have drawn the line at a Cherry.

Iffys reasoning is slightly different. On that basis I'd have to object to a Vauxhall Tesco, or a Ford Murdoch.

I suppose numbers are a better bet from a manufacturer point of view if you don't want to risk offending anybody.

When's the BMW 666 coming out?
 Does a car's name put you off? - MD
All one ever needed was a 3.0 Capri Ghia Auto.....circa 1971/2/3/4
>> All one ever needed was a 3.0 Capri Ghia Auto.....circa 1971/2/3/4
>>

No, no, no Martin. It would have to be the RS 3.1 of similar vintage.
>> >> All one ever needed was a 3.0 Capri Ghia Auto.....circa 1971/2/3/4
>> >>
>>
>> No, no, no Martin. It would have to be the RS 3.1 of similar vintage.
>>

Pah pah and thrice pah............No Auto.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Skoda
>> What's next, the Skoda

... Joyster (Skoda version of the Scirocco)

Their naming is terrible!
 Does a car's name put you off? - RattleandSmoke
The Panda name put me off a bit, because I knew it would get joked at. But in a way that is the appeal of the Panda, it is very much an inverted snobs car.
>>an inverted snobs car.

Thank you Rattle. That's what I was getting at with the Skoda names I think. They aren't targeted at people who want to show off wealth or status, though they might want to appear rational - a buyer of a "thinking person's" car.

I'd say that's a characteristic of the SKoda owners I know - sporty versions aside, they're much more likely to tell you how big the boot is than how well it handles (about which incidentally much cobblers is spoken).
 Does a car's name put you off? - Clk Sec
Cube. Although I'm not sure what puts me off most - the name or the car.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Robin O'Reliant
The Nissan Note is a daft name, as is the Kia Pride.
Toyota Previa sounds too close to a complication pregnancy, and its grey import relative the Estima Emina is even worse. And in France there are various forms of Citroen branded Evasion.
 Does a car's name put you off? - madf
Of course a car name matters. I'd never drive a Doris or a Quaskkkkkquai or any Rover nor any car with a woman's name - offends my sensibilities..Nor a Sssssansong nor a SAAB ...
Would a Datsun Cherry suit?
Ahh the Nissan Cashcow. Horrid. Parents had a Cherry when I was a little'un. Also a horrible car.
Last edited by: Bobbin Threadbare on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 19:54
 Does a car's name put you off? - Runfer D'Hills
OK, line in sand drawn...
 Does a car's name put you off? - FocalPoint
"...in France there are various forms of Citroen branded Evasion."

Which is fine over there, because "évasion" means "escape". On second thoughts, maybe "Citroen Escape" sounds naff.
 Does a car's name put you off? - CGNorwich
How does the Octavia fit in then? Rather an elegant name.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Old Navy
What a pathetic bunch of wimps you lot are, next you will be saying you would not drive a car with a particular badge.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Harleyman
>> How does the Octavia fit in then? Rather an elegant name.
>>

Not a new one either. Skoda marketed an Octavia back in the 1960's; I remember coming across one in a Newark scrapyard about 1975, odd gearchange gate which was back to front (first where third should be etc) but quite a neat-looking little car for the period. Right hand drive too, probably very rare in the UK.

tinyurl.com/6jd9osu
 Does a car's name put you off? - RattleandSmoke
Lay off the Austin Doris, it was a very good car don't you know. Complete with a built in hair dryer so the woman can dry her hair as she is driving. Also comes with a max speed limit of 30mph in case the woman crashes.

I can just imagine it for real.

As for worse names, the Pride takes the business, although I know one person is rather proud to drive a pride, I think that is because he only paid £50 for it.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Dog
I agree with most of what's gorn before, I wouldn't want a SsangYong for free,
even it it came with a complimentary JUKE!
 Does a car's name put you off? - Stuu
Not so much in this country, but some of those jap imports have some very weird names - Im sure I saw something called a Friend aswell as other similarly odd choices.
Like the Mazda Bongo?
Aye. Japs sure do have a sense of humour.
 Does a car's name put you off? - TeeCee
>> Aye. Japs sure do have a sense of humour.
>>

Goes back to the earliest days too. The first car built in Japan was an Austin 7 assembled under license from imported components called the DAT.
Its locally designed successor was the "son of DAT", or Dat-sun.......

All time favourite was an imported small Nissan van. Retro styled with a rounded nose, frogeye headlamps and a flat tailgate arrangement, looking for all the world like a modern version of a Citroen 2CV van. The 2CV is, of course, colloquially known as the "Tin Snail".

That thing was called an "S-Cargo". When I "got" that one, I wasn't sure whether to laugh out loud or just stand in awe of the sheer cleverness of the bilingual[1] pun on offer to automotive afficionados.

[1] The fact that neither of the languages involved are that of its home market just adds to the magic here.
Or the Daihatsu Naked.
Daf Daffodil anyone :(

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAF_Daffodil
 Does a car's name put you off? - WillDeBeest
I know we've done this one recently but...Chevrolet. What were they thinking? Daewoo merely said that you'd given up; Chevrolet suggests that even a fake Rolex was too stylish for you and so you bought a fake Lorus instead. It's polishing the turd with soiled Andrex.

On the other hand, in off-putting terms, the badge only finishes what the car itself starts. They could badge it as a Lamborghini and it still wouldn't impress anyone.
}:---( ~~~
I think the only make I wouldnt buy on account of name is Ssangyong, mainly because people will think Im swearing at them when I tell them what I drive...

I always thought the Skoda Superb was a little pretentious, the Skoda Average would have been more accurate, it is never smart to place a value judgement on something by naming it where your aspirations lie - the reality may not be so fantastic but its too late.

Theres something, Chevvy I think called an Epica, which sounds too much like Epic, which the car isnt. By a long way. Doh.
That Epica sounds like a Pokemon.

I'd also like to know what a Passat is....it sounds like 'passé' but they're quite nice.

Who said they didn't like ladies' names for cars? What about the Alfa Giulietta?
>> I'd also like to know what a Passat is>>

A trade wind.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 21:14
Ahh, auf Deutsch. Sort of fits with the Scirocco then.
Targetted at windy old traders presumably.
>>Daewoo merely said that you'd given up; Chevrolet suggests that even a fake Rolex was too stylish for you and so you bought a fake Lorus instead

You're sounding dangerously image-conscious WdB, though I doubt you are, really. Almost makes me want a "Chevrolet".

Is it really any different to selling Fords as Jaguars or Volvos?

The really interesting thing about image is that it's usually different in the eyes of the chooser and the viewer.

Nothing inherently wrong with Bentleys, BMWs or Bugattis or whatever, but do people who buy them mindful of the statement they make ever stop to wonder if people really look at them as they go by thinking "Gosh, what a cool guy - wish I was like him!". Moral - buy one if you want one - but don't be deluded that the image impresses anybody but yourself.

I don't have a problem with Rolexes myself, but there are those who think the one thing worse for your image than a fake Rolex is a real one.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Londoner
>> Nothing inherently wrong with Bentleys, BMWs or Bugattis or whatever, but do people who buy
>> them mindful of the statement they make ever stop to wonder if people really look
>> at them as they go by thinking "Gosh, what a cool guy - wish I
>> was like him!". Moral - buy one if you want one - but don't be
>> deluded that the image impresses anybody but yourself.

Very true! It always amuses me to read owners car reviews where they claim that their car is forever getting "admiring glances".
What they are really saying is "I HOPE that my car is getting admiring glances".
 Does a car's name put you off? - Dave_
>> Skoda marketed an Octavia back in the 1960's

The name Skoda Superb dates back to 1934!

OK....here's the winner.

The Mohs Ostentatienne Opera Sedan

Only one made, fortunately !

Ted
 Does a car's name put you off? - Dutchie
Daf Daffo dill.Our neighbour had one when I was a lad.Variomatic I let you know Dog.:)

Dilly Doll would have been better.

Does a car's name put you off? - VxFan
Toyota Deliboy anyone?

Or would you like a Suzuki Cappucino while you think about it?
Where's Pugugly when you need him? The other week he came up with Lancia Sensuale Superingiunzione, or something like it.

Special jalopy for Italian presidents and the like.

Actually if you think about any name at all for long enough, even your own, it starts to sound ridiculous.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 01:12
>> Where's Pugugly when you need him?

Rhodes?
 Does a car's name put you off? - Cliff Pope
There's a curious resurgence of old thread topics this week.
We had car names once, and I remember contributing Warrior, Yaris sounding like a garden weed, and Nissan like an old wartime shed.

We also did antifreeze and other fluid colours, when I reminisced about Girling Crimson.

What's happened - has someone brought out a book called "Old motoring thread topics for all occasions" ?
There was always mileage in a Ford Corsair!!
 Does a car's name put you off? - Meldrew
So long as the car suits your needs why should its name matter? It is a lump of metal and plastic that you drive around in. One of the better experiences of my life was with a lady called Dympnah. She was fun and her name was irrelevant!
Well the Maserati Quattroporte is actually somewhat silly if you know a bit of Italian...
>> Maserati Quattroporte is actually somewhat silly if you know a bit of Italian...

Why? Four-door Maseratis didn't exist until it came along.
Because the car is beautiful, and yet they could only come up with 'Four door', which is head-slappingly obvious.
 Does a car's name put you off? - swiss tony
>> There was always mileage in a Ford Corsair!!
>>
I have heard, that after the success of retro styled car's like the MINI, Beetle, 500 etc, that Ford are bringing out a new retro car.

Its to be called the Pubic - based on the Corsair.....
>> There's a curious resurgence of old thread topics this week.
>> We had car names once, and I remember contributing Warrior, Yaris sounding like a garden
>> weed, and Nissan like an old wartime shed.
>> We also did antifreeze and other fluid colours, when I reminisced about Girling Crimson.
>> What's happened - has someone brought out a book called "Old motoring thread topics for
>> all occasions" ?

We've not had that old favourite, main dealer vs indy, for a week of two, but I think Dog was trying to lead us there a couple of days ago.

My main dealer is excellent, by the way.
I can sense an imminent handbrake ratchet on the Minor irritations thread.

Anyway, 'Quattroporte' is no worse than, say, 'Rover 3500', 'Fiat Coupé' or, arguably, 'Lancia HPE', in that it is merely one attribute of the car. Perhaps Reliant would have sold more of the Kitten if it had called it the Four Wheels.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 09:50
 Does a car's name put you off? - VxFan
>>> What's happened - has someone brought out a book called "Old motoring thread topics for all occasions" ?

I don't think the car mats one will be beaten.
>>I don't think the car mats one will be beaten.

Was it carpet vs rubber?
 Does a car's name put you off? - neiltoo
They couldn't sell the MR2 in France....
Say it in French....
 Does a car's name put you off? - 832ark
Honda That's
Nissan Cedric
Apostrophes take us back to Kia. Ce'ed? Cee'd? Sod it, I'll have a Focus, please.

I do, however, have the equally bizarrely-named *ist-DL2, which is a Pentax camera. Didn't put me off, but the I don't have to explain on the phone what it is when I'm making an appointment.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 10:46
...What's happened - has someone brought out a book called "Old motoring thread topics for all occasions" ?...

There's an old saying in newsrooms: "There are no new stories, only names, dates, ages, people and places change."

>> The Mohs Ostentatienne Opera Sedan
>>
>> Only one made

A hard act to follow!
Is that a pun on the Mohs scale of hardness, or am I thinking too deeply here?
Could be good source of names - Chrysler Corundum perhaps. Not sure about a Fiat Talc though

You're thinking way too deep Mr Dugong....Designer's name was Bruce Mohs, owner of the Mohs seaplane company.

Also built the Mohs Safarikar.

Ted
>> Is that a pun on the Mohs scale of hardness, or am I thinking too
>> deeply here?

Aye. Don't worry, my coat's already on... :-)
 Does a car's name put you off? - franfran
I'm not sure that I agree with the comments about Skodas. Superb is probably not a great name, but it isn't a really bad one either. It does sound a bit like the names the Japanese were using in the early 1960s though. And it probably sounded better in 1934 than it does now....

As for the Roomster, it's a rather quirky looking thing that wouldn't appeal to everyone. I think that the sort of people who would buy it would like the name and the people who didn't like the name wouldn't want to buy one or maybe even drive something that looked like that.

(no, in case you're wondering, I don't drive a Skoda)
Pretentiousness is the biggest problem (for me) with names. Submodel designations can be worst in this respect: we have Elegance (Skoda), Titanium (Ford), Dynamic (Fiat, I think), T-Spirit (Toyota), and Mitsubishi's sub-brand for the head-shaving classes, Warrior. And then we get into pure inanity like 'Equippe' (Mitsubishi again) and the daftest of the lot, a special prize for whoever at Seat gave us 'Stylance'.

All of these present an embarrassment factor to a thinking customer that 'V70 SE' neatly avoids. A couple of them are on my Possibles list, but at least I'd only have to say the awful word to the salesman - and thankfully these days, most of them don't appear as a badge on the car itself.
 Does a car's name put you off? - oilburner

>> All of these present an embarrassment factor to a thinking customer that 'V70 SE' neatly
>> avoids.

So you've forgotten about the V70 Ocean Race special editions then? ;)
I had, but I used to covet one purely for the shade of blue it came in.
 Does a car's name put you off? - TeeCee
Too right. To those casting aspersions at "Superb" I think you'll find that one's straight out of the company's history too. ISTR that there's a pre-war Skoda Superb.
 Does a car's name put you off? - R.P.
The Skoda Superb

Has a long and decent history - it was their range topper in the late 30s - I like it when car makers have a sense of history.
 Does a car's name put you off? - R.P.
BMW have it - Numbers - Bodstyle and engine (and more recently drivetrain) - simple. Mind you can't beat the language of Rossini and Verdi when it comes to naming cars - mundane, mediocre words translated into the sexiest language on the planet...
While ago but the Hyundai Pony

Nobody in their UK PR familiar with either London vernacular or rhyming slang???
...Nobody in their UK PR familiar with either London vernacular or rhyming slang???...

Yes, so it's a pile of poo, but only costs twenty-five quid.

Does a car's name put you off? - -
>> Nobody in their UK PR familiar with either London vernacular or rhyming slang???
>>

Love it, great way of being non PC without upsetting too many.
 Does a car's name put you off? - Boggy
Well, Ford made an Escort Si, but didn't bring out a Ka Si........

Rolls-Royce were considering a Silver Mist until someone told them it wouldn't sell in Germany.

Silver Botty-burp.......I understand !

Ted
 Does a car's name put you off? - franfran
The version I heard of that had the name translating as (to put it politely) Silver Manure in one of the local German dialects, rather than proper German. If that's correct, it would give the name a good sense of alliteration.
According to the translation site Babylon, mist translates as "dung, fertilizer, muck, compost, animal excrement; crap, shucks, worthless item (Slang); nonsense; mess.
 Does a car's name put you off? - henry k
Even Wikipedia has the Silver Mist story.

Another big company that had a near miss many years ago was QANTAS.
They were about to name their new bigger 747 SUD - Stretched Upper Deck.
Eventually they wre informed that SUD in medical circles = Sudden unexplained death.
"Opel Nova" in Spanish "Opel Doesn't Work"

A policewoman at college with me was called Elva.....'she goes ' !

I rather think she did too !

Ted
 Does a car's name put you off? - idle_chatterer
Mazda Bongo Friendee (also a Ford Freda), I mean - what on Earth were they thinking of ?

Mind you, it has a certain amusement value.....

Does a car's name put you off? - Citroënian
Really pleased we've got this far and no-one has mentioned the range topping VW people carrier, the Sharon Carrot. I mean Sharan Carat.

(Yes, I'm back, been a long time, good to see so many old names still about. Now, where's DW?!
I'm put off by any model name which is a word that isn't an English word and which I don't know how to pronounce.
>> I'm put off by any model name which is a word that isn't an English
>> word and which I don't know how to pronounce.
>>

Rather odd to choose a French name then Monsieur L'escargot.
>> Rather odd to choose a French name then Monsieur L'escargot.
>>

Zut alors et sacré bleu. I didn't choose it. It was what I was christened.
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 5 Mar 12 at 14:17
Here's a list of car names I came across via Google. www.malaysiaminilover.com/list-of-car-names
 Does a car's name put you off? - Oldgit
Who, would you have thought would buy Golf Rabbits, wherever they are sold - in the US?
There used to be a quite high-quality logo, metal and enamel I think, of, er, two rabbits at it like rabbits, for proud US Rabbit owners to stick on the rumps of their Rabbits. And plenty did, or so I like to think.
I didn't know you lot were so far up yourselves about car names.

Definite case of if you see me in a X..................X you will know I am dead.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 5 Mar 12 at 14:29
>> Definite case of if you see me in a X..................X you will know I am
>> dead.
>>

Google for Xerox drivers and you'll get lots of hits.
;-)
Daihatsu Naked? tinyurl.com/6uk5nwe
 Does a car's name put you off? - nice but dim
I hate anything with the name "MINI"
>> I hate anything with the name "MINI"
>>

skirts are excellent
 Does a car's name put you off? - nice but dim
Like wise the "MINI" means they are a bit difficult to get into unless you are 18 years old!
Last edited by: nice but dim on Mon 5 Mar 12 at 14:44
Careful GB, you'll get Westpig all fired up again. He's been taking an unusual amount of interest in matters of women's apparel since he retired.

:-))
Nothing wrong with that Hump, its those blokes who don't look or bother about nicely dressed girlies that worry me..;)
>> Nothing wrong with that Hump, its those blokes who don't look or bother about nicely
>> dressed girlies that worry me..;)
>>
Indeed. It'll be a sad day when I do stop looking...or noticing.

I do now though realise i'm of that age where few of them notice me any more and those that do...
 Does a car's name put you off? - Pat
Can I just give all you red blooded males a tip?

Please, please don't call us girlies, it makes us cringe and makes you all look very silly!

Pat
 Does a car's name put you off? - Mike Hannon
I've always thought 'Accord' is a nice friendly name and I've never had a problem with 'Prelude' although I guess both might sound a bit odd outside the Honda fraternity. As might the Jazz.
Personally, never fancied handing over money to be seen with an 'Escort'.
It's all these rapiers, avengers, scimitars and so on that I feel may be sending the wrong signals to impressionable owners.

'Escorts' may be a complete swizz. They are only classy hookers if you are in luck.
 Does a car's name put you off? - mikeyb
I've always been put off of the Civic name.

Used to live near a "Civic Amenity Site" or Tip as the are more commonly known
 Does a car's name put you off? - zuave
Wouldn't have a Pajero, especially in any Spanish speaking country, but I would have a Shogun.

Would have an L200 Diamond, even perhaps Warrior, could go as far as Animal at a push but, come on Mitsubishi...Raging Bull ?!
Can the salesman keep a straight face?

"Yes sir, well, we have a special offer on at the moment and I can do you a great deal on a Raging Bull".

Rgds
Z

>> Please, please don't call us girlies, .........

I wouldn't dream of doing it.

:)

Pat
 Does a car's name put you off? - BiggerBadderDave
"Please, please don't call us girlies, it makes us cringe and makes you all look very silly!"

The collective noun for girlies is "fanny" as in "Is there any good fanny in the pub" etc. etc.

And of course I'm referring to the American pet-name fanny, from buttocks, not the vulgar English slang that I never utter. Honest.

Anyway Pat. It's International Women's Day, so Happy Women's Day Pat! And a virtual rose for you too. x
Thank you Dave....but you know I don't approve of this gender thing;)

Pat
I'm subconciously put off cars whose names appear to have a letter left off the end, such as the Škoda Favorit.
The name Note puts me orf, in fact I only realised this week when the new British (English) built Nissan model was being discussed on the wireless that it was pronounced Note and not Notey :)
Volkswagen up!. At least they could have started the name with an upper case U.
 Does a car's name put you off? - TheManWithNoName
The Chinese must take the crown for the stoopidest names with cars such as the Geely Beauty Leopard, Dong Feng EQ7240BP, Geely PU Rural Nanny, Geely King Kong, Tang Hau Book of Songs or the Tang Hau Detroit Fish.
Crap names, crap cars.
And I thought Ssangyong Musso was bad enough!
>> Volkswagen up!. At least they could have started the name with an upper case U.

Based on VW concept car naming conventions, the up! was likely to be the Lupo but they didn't go down that route. Remember the Scirocco was the IROC as a concept. They often use a few letters from the car's intended name.

www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_1825.shtml
Latest Forum Posts