Motoring Discussion > Minor Irritations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 123

Minor Irritations - Alastairw
I had cause to travel in a Peugeot 308 today (with the headmistress of my youngers sons school incidentally). It was actually quite a nice place to be - quiet, and the ride was very pleasant on Stockport's pockmarked tarmac - so what irritated me?

The driver seemed incapable of using the handbrake. At an uphill set of traffic lights, where there is always a long wait, she kept riding the clutch. I pity the next owner (she changes her car very 3 years or so) as the clutch will have a much shorter life than expected!

Separately, later in the day I got caught in a long queue. The Octy's clever autowipers only wiped as required, at a slow intermittent rate, but the driver of the Yaris in front still left the wipers running continuously - did he/she not know how to make them intermitent, or even off? Listening to wipers drag across an almost dry screen is one of my per hates.

I know neither of the above scenarios is the end of anyones world, but they irritate me - what habits irritate you?
 Minor Irritations - Clk Sec
I'm irritated by people who use their mobile 'phone while driving, tailgaters, and those who think they have to slam car doors to close them.
 Minor Irritations - Westpig
>> think they have to slam car doors to close them.
>>

You have to on my car.
>> think they have to slam car doors to close them.
>> You have to on my car.

My car doors close very easily. They don't need to be slammed.
 Minor Irritations - Ted
>> >> think they have to slam car doors to close them.
>> >>
>>
>> You have to on my car.

And mine !

Ted
>>
 Minor Irritations - Manatee
Holding on the clutch and letting the wipers scratch away at a dry windscreen are signs of a person who pays the minimum amount of attention to what they are doing and has no interest in cars, motoring or things mechanical. Come to think of it, they must be who auto wipers were designed for.

Other giveaways are unconscious tailgating, anything dangling from the interior mirror, and an absence of any timely signals.

I have trained myself to ignore it mostly, though the woman who tailgated me down the A413 from Buckingham today at 50-55mph had to be dealt with. I eventually made her overtake by slowing almost to a stop, whereupon she did the same to the lorry at the back of the procession ahead.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 19:25
Non indicating is high on my irritation list...but the highest is fog light misuse.

Parking on zig zags is right up there as is CLOG, then there's mimsing in general, when you could with awareness let other past, but choose not to...

...cyclists who think they own the road, not share it; horses side by side; parking near schools; people who accelerate out of side junctions that make you brake, then they dawdle...loud thumping music...anything that looks like a chav

....people that do u turns in main roads and hold everyone up

....maybe I should have just said, anyone that is selfish
>>people who accelerate out of side junctions that make you brake, then they dawdle

Yes. I should have put that on my list.
 Minor Irritations - Old Navy
Lack of traffic police to improve driving and road use standards by enforcing the law.
 Minor Irritations - FocalPoint
"Lack of traffic police to improve driving and road use standards by enforcing the law."

I think what ON meant to say was, "Hello, Westpig - nice to see you again."
Westpig is always welcome as far as I am concerned. I am amazed he is still around after some of the flak he has recieved.
 Minor Irritations - MD
ei
 Minor Irritations - Armel Coussine
>> Westpig is always welcome as far as I am concerned. I am amazed he is still around after some of the flak he has recieved.

Likewise. But I doubt if the flak here seems very terrible after what he has sometimes had to suffer from his clients (or colleagues come to that).

As for the minor irritations, several of mine have been mentioned already here. But there are many more, far too many to list. On the other hand some of those mentioned here don't bother me particularly. People can rabbit on their phones as much as they like as long as they drive all right, as I do on the rare occasions that I use the phone on the move. There's a difference between doing it whie cruising down a dual carriageway, or nose-to-tailing in crawling traffic, and trying to do it when weaving through rush hour traffic round Hyde Park Corner say.

I get especially irate with those who exaggerate when slowing for speed cameras and when observing the increasing number of absurdly low speed limits being plonked down quite unnecessarily in open roads outside what the French call 'agglomerations' (built-up areas).

I suppose in general terms what I really loathe is people clumsily and stupidly getting in the way under all circumstances. It's often just a matter of placing the vehicle correctly on the road when, for example, waiting to make a right turn. A hell of a lot can't hack it. Morons.
>> (or colleagues come to that).
>>
They're the worst...and long may it continue. The 'po faced brigade' tried their best to eradicate it of course and have us left as automatons, but thankfully the tide has turned. The nearer to retirement one gets, the more likely one speaks out and say what one thinks...well I do anyway.

I'm rather proud of the fact that i've had people run for the doors...yet...have never truly offended anyone...(hopefully).
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
...The nearer to retirement one gets, the more likely one speaks out and say what one thinks...well I do anyway...

Take it easy, the end is near, you don't want to be the last soldier on the battlefield to be shot.

Minor Irritations - MD
>> Lack of traffic police to improve driving and road use standards by enforcing the law.
>>
Enforcing the Law will improve standards will it?
 Minor Irritations - henry k
>>horses side by side;
Except our local horses from Imber Court Police stables.
I now know why they go two by two after a visit round their home.
 Minor Irritations - Bobbin Threadbare
Tailgaters - had one today. He bombed into Preston off the motorway and drove all the way into town about 6 inches off my back bumper.

You have to do 'the skunk' - spray your back window vigorously (this worked well on my old car as the jet nozzle was bent at a funny angle) and they back off surprisingly often.

Mobile users make me mad, especially a woman with children in the car.

Not using the handbrake when stopped; especially on hills. I always have visions of them slipping back into my car and doing some sort of crashing domino effect.

People who won't move over on the motorway. Not indicating.

I'll have to stop...I need about ten pages. I'm sure I'll learn to let this stuff wash over me as I get older and more equanimous.

Oh just one more: pink cars, cars with pink crap in them, fluffy seats, dangly things (thought they were illegal anyway), stickers of flowers, fairies, bunnies or sparkly bits on the car. You are NOT powered by 'fairy dust', it's petrol. They let the side down.
Last edited by: Bobbin Threadbare on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 20:02
 Minor Irritations - DP
>> You are NOT powered by 'fairy dust', it's petrol. They let the side
>> down.

I always thought it was referring to the power source of the driver's brain rather than that of the car. ;-)
Haha I expect you're spot on!
 Minor Irritations - Runfer D'Hills
People who eat in my car. Wait until you get home please.

People who having eaten in my car who leave the wrappers in the door pockets. Take them with you.

People who walk behind my car when it is reversing. What's complicated here? Wait a moment can't you?

People who change the settings on the air vents in my car. Live with it.

People who move the seats / backrests in my car. See above.

People who wipe mist off the glass in my car with their greasy hands. Wait for the AC please.

People who shut my car doors by putting their hand on the glass to push it. Can't you see the handle? It's a clue.

Apart from that nothing really...
>> People who wipe mist off the glass in my car with their greasy hands. Wait
>> for the AC please.

That one made me chuckle. Haven't had it happen for years now...because those that know me are not willing to receive the total abuse they'd get. That is a 100% 'no-no'.
Oh and people who say "shouldn't there be Us after the Qs in Qashqai?" Look I was given it right and she wanted one too OK?
 Minor Irritations - Dog
Quashquai ~ I like it (not!)
 Minor Irritations - Kevin
>Oh and people who say "shouldn't there be Us after the Qs in Qashqai?"

But, shouldn't there be?
:-)

Nomads apparently.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 21:24
>Nomads apparently.

I thought they were Toerags?
Qashqais are smaller than Toerags. Less successful nomads. Not as good at finding dates and so on.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qashqai
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 21:32
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qashqai

"The majority, however, have now become partially of wholly sedentary."

Ahh! Now I understand. ;-0
Last edited by: Kevin on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 23:14
"The Qashqai are made up of a number of tribes and sub-tribes..."

Just like the Jocks, really...
 Minor Irritations - Stuu
All other road users, just about covers it, although those muffins who have self-induced accidents causing hours of traffic chaos wanting putting in the stocks.

Dont know what that accident was on the A14 a few weeks back but I spent 2 hours trying to exit the Tesco car park. It is NOT a scenic place and frozen food doesnt like full sun, I was sat there so long I made my lunch in the queue.

Whoever the moron was who decided to compound the nonsense by driving their lorry under a clearly marked bridge, causing even more chaos needs castrating incase they procreate and leave us with multiple moronic children, although one suspects that horse may have sadly already bolted.
Not a bad idea Stu.

It could be developed to include tongue removal for those who cause an accident while using mobile phones, death by liquid deprivation for those who cause an accident while drunk, blinding for inappropriate use of foglights...

Oh yes, there's potential here...
 Minor Irritations - Stuu
The time spent in the queue would have passed so much faster had everyone been able to hurl rotten fruit at the twits who caused it all :-)

Apparently theres this human rights thing though, gets in the way of everything...!
Actually, anyone who blocks a motorway by stuffing their vehicle into the one in front because they were tailgating and couldn't stop should be finished off if still alive by stoning with the ballast from the central reservation thus ensuring they don't do it again and being a lesson to others...
 Minor Irritations - Stuu
C'mon, fess up, you write the Saudi traffic laws/sentancing guidelines dont you :-)
No of course not, but think about it, you wouldn't actually have to execute all that many people before the others got the message would you? Same with trucks doing that "elephant overtake" for 3 blinking miles. Bazookas on the bridges. Go under a bridge side by side at 56 mph and the one in lane two gets it. Simple really. Whole thing'd be sorted within a month...
 Minor Irritations - MD
>> The time spent in the queue would have passed so much faster had everyone been
>> able to hurl ROTTEN FRUITS at the twits who caused it all :-)
>>
Try the new Lidl in North Devon, full of it. No wonder they lost the war.
Westpig, do I get the impression you're a copper? If so, I salute you sir.
>> Westpig, do I get the impression you're a copper? If so, I salute you sir.
>>
Aye....but not for a great deal longer.
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
...If so, I salute you sir...

Sir?

He might only be a lowly PC.

>> ...If so, I salute you sir...
>>
>> Sir?
>>
>> He might only be a lowly PC.
>>
>>
>>

Attitude test failure, iffy?
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
...Attitude test failure, iffy?...

I'd calling him anything he liked and clean his shoes if I thought it would get me a result.

Minor Irritations - henry k
>> I'd calling him anything he liked and clean his shoes if I thought it would get me a result.
>>
Reminder - must try harder???
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8597922/PLEASE-PIC-Next-tycoon-in-drink-driving-case-tried-to-offer-police-his-Maserati.html
>> ...Attitude test failure, iffy?...
>>
>> I'd calling him anything he liked and clean his shoes if I thought it would
>> get me a result.
>>
>>
Me too, I think this guy overdid it a bit. :-)

tinyurl.com/5rmbjev

Beat me to it henry. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 11:39
 Minor Irritations - -
>> Attitude test failure, iffy?
>>

Yes, surprised at you Iffy, do you not address the fair ladies as ma'am either, they like it yer know.

Mind you why do officers call people Mate these days.

Turn that clock back about 60 years if poss.
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
To be serious, if Westpig knocked on my door in the course of his inquiries, I would call him 'officer', whatever his rank.

My 'sir' comment was, of course, lighthearted, and was also meant to strike a chord with Westpig.

In the police forces I've dealt with, PCs are called constables, sergeants are called sergeants, but it tends to be only inspectors and above who are called 'sir'.

Minor Irritations - -
>> To be serious, if Westpig knocked on my door in the course of his inquiries,
>> I would call him 'officer', whatever his rank.

I've always addressed them as officer too in my infrequent dealings.

Being polite to people has become a bit of a thing with me, the general ignorance found in many places i go reinforces my determination not to join them in grunts, mate,'ere, oy or aggressive speak or mute ill manners.

Reactionary old duffer in the making..:-)
>> To be serious, if Westpig knocked on my door in the course of his enquiries,
>>

I think that dealings with anyone reflect your attitude, I find that dealing with a problem in a courteous manner gets far better results than a noisy confrontation.

Except when someone wipes the inside of my windscreen with their greasy hand!!!!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 11:52
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
...I think that dealings with anyone reflect your attitude, I find that dealing with a problem in a courteous manner gets far better results than a noisy confrontation...

Every time.

I also like to give a title to someone I'm dealing with in connection with their profession.

I always address the postman as 'postman', and when I moved my car in a layby the other day to enable an artic to get properly parked, I called the driver, 'driver'.

It was about 4pm and thanks to some of the lorry drivers' posts on here, I knew he would probably be stopping for the night, and would want to get the wagon tucked in neatly.

I wouldn't have bothered moving had I thought he was just stopping for a mug of tea.

>> I wouldn't have bothered moving had I thought he was just stopping for a mug
>> of tea.
>>
>>
Good layby etiquette is to stop as far along it as possible to allow other vehicles to pull in behind you.
 Minor Irritations - -
>> Good layby etiquette

is all sorts of curious manoeuvres, light flashing etc these days, amusing goings on..:-)

Appreciate what Iffy did though, very few would have thought to.
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
...Appreciate what Iffy did though, very few would have thought to...

I was parked a few yards in front of a shut bait cabin, not far from the exit of the layby.

The wagon pulled in in front of me, and he could have left it, there was plenty of room to pass/exit the layby safely

But my moving made it easier for the driver to tuck the wagon in neatly.

It's one of those daft things, but as he pulled up, I knew he was thinking: "Pity that car is there."

>> Sir?
>>
>> He might only be a lowly PC.
>>
>>
>> Attitude test failure, iffy?

I know that I'm not alone in building up a mental picture of some of the other regular posters on this forum, but that, combined with my rather inaccurate crystal ball, tells me that WP is a sergeant.

Incidentally, I have to admit to thinking that the rank of chief constable was betwixt PC and Sergeant. But I was only a youngster at the time.

My very own father was one of Merseyside's boys in blue for a long time. I have a healthy respect for the police and I appreciate the work they do and how hard it can be. I can't say it was easy, growing up with a human lie detector though!!
>> I know that I'm not alone in building up a mental picture of some of
>> the other regular posters on this forum, but that, combined with my rather inaccurate crystal
>> ball, tells me that WP is a sergeant.

Two pips.

Sorry Iffy, it would have to be 'sir'. I find a deep bow preceding it works best...;-)

Minor Irritations - Iffy
...Two pips...

And I bet neither of them squeak.

Minor Irritations - Fullchat
>> People who wipe mist off the glass in my car with their greasy hands. Wait
>> for the AC please.

That one made me chuckle. Haven't had it happen for years now...because those that know me are not willing to receive the total abuse they'd get. That is a 100% 'no-no'.

Snap!
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 23:33
 Minor Irritations - Dave_
>> People who eat in my car... etc

I can tick all of those with my daughter in the car before I get to the end of my street! I always reverse onto the drive (I'm the only one in the street to do so) and I swear the local urchins make a beeline for my blind spot when they see me coming home.

Can't even give them a gentle warning nudge, own doorstep and all that...
 Minor Irritations - Herr Sandwichmann
People who park across two spaces.

People who don't indicate (not such a minor irritation at times!)
>>People who park across two spaces.

That doesn't bother me at all.

Unlike the ones who park 6" from your driver's door. They are either Gits or Incompetent. No other explanation fits.
 Minor Irritations - Herr Sandwichmann
>>That doesn't bother me at all.

but it bothers the bejaysus out of me when the carpark is full.

Related - people who slam their open doors against the bodywork of my car.

Another thing - people playing (insert expletive) music very loudly, particularly in traffic jams.
Cars that put one foglight on while turning.
>>people who slam their open doors against the bodywork of my car.

Ah...well what you need to do is park across two spaces!
They're incompetent gits Manatee. No question.
>> They're incompetent gits Manatee. No question.

Of course, how silly of me. Double jeopardy. If they don't get you one way...
'Baby On Board' stickers.
>> 'Baby On Board' stickers.
>>

The most pathetic one I have seen is "Grandparents of twins".
I did rather like one I saw a while back, "Psychopath on Board"

:-)
 Minor Irritations - Ted

I'm sure I once saw one 'Cage birds on board ' or some such nonsense.

A horsebox with 'Horses in transit ' when it's clearly not a Transit.....and the sign, being painted on, doesn't come off when it's running empty !

Two stroke bikes with noisy exhaust are irritating....one just went past the hovel !

Ted
 Minor Irritations - Skoda
The girl, who looked otherwise intelligent, who ran shouting on her friend from between parked cars, eyes fixed on her friend the whole time. Just as well it was the octy, the golf just plain wouldn't have stopped in that distance. Shed have survived anyway but don't much fancy a trophy dent.
 Minor Irritations - Dutchie
Driving today in a thunderstorm very dark drivers not putting headlights on.

Agree regarding indicaton or lack of it (can't be that difficult can it)?

Dangling things on the inside mirror (my wife keeps putting rubbish on them)
>> Driving today in a thunderstorm very dark drivers not putting headlights on.

I saw a three unlit cars in a downpour on the A14 today. The common factor? Illuminated instruments. I reckon some drivers assume their lights must be on because the dials in front of them are lit up.
Could be Dave problaby they do not realise they are in a car.Cloud seven.;)
 Minor Irritations - Londoner
I find this irritating - and it has happened to me twice this week.

The situation:
I'm trying to join the motorway from a slip road and lane one is nice and clear.
What happens:
At that moment, a car in lane two decides to move into lane one, and in such a cunning manner that I have to brake quite sharply and move in behind them. Why can't the wazzcks just stay in lane two and let me in?

The second time this happened this week, it was early in the morning and we were the only two cars to be seen!
More like major irritations:

People who drop litter.
Flytippers
Drivers on a main road who, without indicating, turn into the junction you are waiting patiently to get out of.
Lane hoggers.
Drivers/pedestrians who do not acknowledge a courtesy
Colleagues who cant find the fuel pump or vacuum cleaner.
Tradesmen who dont ring back turn up etc when you are offering work.
Tradesman with a 'shortcut that will do mentality'. WELL IT WONT!
Salespersons who insult you by going through the 'lets see if the succour will pay a stuoid price first' routine.
 Minor Irritations - Ted

Having a relatively sluggish vehicle I get miffed by the fast one that comes down the slip road behind you, speeds up and gets in lane one before you do, then starts to overtake you instead of getting into lane two.

Ted
Oh and Coppers who don't wear headgear anymore and bosses who seem to accept it.
 Minor Irritations - Ted

You'd have been on a disciplinary in my day FC...and tie. No beard or specs. Short hair,
polished shoes and black socks.

No T shirts, pullovers showing, etc. No shirt sleeve order in Summer. Some still wore button up collars on nights to avoid wearing a tie.......a la Dixon of DG !

Ted
And you march with your thumbs in line with the seam of your trousers. You had to have boots so shiny you could see your face in them.
 Minor Irritations - MD
>> Oh and Coppers who don't wear headgear anymore and bosses who seem to accept it.
>>
Or ties and call me Mate.
Or even Fella, Mate :-)
Another one: Drivers who are so slow on the uptake when you let them out of a tricky junction, that you end up virtually stopping before they will move. Go on,,, yes you... yes, go on then... JUST GO WILL YOU?!
 Minor Irritations - CGNorwich
Another one: Drivers who are so slow on the uptake when you let them out of a tricky junction, that you end up virtually stopping before they will move. Go on,,, yes you... yes, go on then... JUST GO WILL YOU?!

Actually I often find the reverse. The driver who thinks he's being helpful by slowing down to let someone out when it it would be quicker and easier to simply continue so that I can safely emerge into the gap behind him is a real pain. That they are annoyed that I use my judgement as to what is safe rather then theirs is their problem.
I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned door slammers. When it comes to minor motoring irritations, that's the category I hear of most often.
 Minor Irritations - Dog
>>I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned door slammers<<

My late m8 who lived up on the moor used to do that (AND SOME!) he'd never owned or driven a car and was a hefty geezer,

He used to slam the door of my Transporter so hard, that it's a wonder the door didn't fall orf.
 Minor Irritations - Duncan
>> >>>> He used to slam the door of my Transporter so hard, that it's a wonder
>> the door didn't fall orf.
>>

What did he reply when you said to him "There is no need to slam the door so hard"?
Sorry, old chap, I won't do that again...
 Minor Irritations - Dog
>>What did he reply when you said to him "There is no need to slam the door so hard"? <<

Well, if you knew the late Laurie Jarvis Stent Smith (Leather Craftsman) you'd know the answer to that question,

He was a genius (and a crank), people like that don't bother about the little things that irritate us mere mortals, so we let him SLAM the door, bring Gerry his old Collie into the front passenger seat footwell area (come rain or shine) and also end up with a car full or fag ash after staying with him for a week or more, no problem though,
it was Laurie you see.
 Minor Irritations - Duncan
>>>> also end up with a car full or fag ash after staying with him for
>> a week or more, no problem though,
>> it was Laurie you see.
>>

It wouldn't do for me. Regardless of who he was, or what he was called.

That is Duncan you see.
 Minor Irritations - four wheels good...
An addition to the misted window wiping people, those who do it with the back of their hand while wearing a diamond ring!!
Last edited by: four wheels good... on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 11:48
No offence Duncan, but I'd rather have Laurie in my car than you.

Of course he might not mind going in my car, and you might mind. However if you were to complain, my apology would be somewhat terse (although genuine).
 Minor Irritations - Dog
>>No offence Duncan, but I'd rather have Laurie in my car than you<<

Hehe! ... Did you ever get to meet Graham Ovenden, Sire? he was another great character on The Moor ~

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Ovenden
>> Another one: Drivers who are so slow on the uptake when you let them out
>> of a tricky junction, that you end up virtually stopping before they will move. Go
>> on,,, yes you... yes, go on then... JUST GO WILL YOU?!
>>

The people who ignore the right of way rules and cause confusion. Its not courtesy and it is often dangerous.
 Minor Irritations - Biggles
Dutchie, is it just very dark drivers whó annoy you?
 Minor Irritations - Alanovich
>> 'Baby On Board' stickers.
>>

I saw "Mum to be on Board" the other day.

No-one. Gives. A. Fig.
 Minor Irritations - captain chaos
Junction blockers. The traffic isn't going anywhere, but I think I'll gain 15 feet so nobody can turn into or out of the side road. Brain dead.
>> No-one. Gives. A. Fig.

The police might, Alanovic, if they waste precious time searching for a baby in the event of an accident.
Indeed, Clk. and I hope that people have been taken to task for wasting valuable emergency services time when not in posession of a baby.

I appreciate that the initial point of a "Baby on Board" sticker was to notify emergency services of the presence of a mite which they may otherwise miss in an accident damaged car, but they have now gone far, far beyond this noble remit. A remit, which I might, add has become utterly obviate as the presence of a massive car seat is usually a good indicator of a travelling bairn, and also by dint of the fact that no one ever seems to remove the signs when the babe is NOT in the car.

That they have spawned vile, self regarding nonsense such as "Princess on Board", Mummy's Little Soldier on Board" and "Cheeky Monkey on Board", is an additional (minor) irritant.

Many of us procreate. I inadvertantly advertise the fact that I have done so by being in the company of my children in public. That gets the message across. I see no need to announcing to the wide world that the fruit of my loins is riding in the back set of my car.

John H - if you're still around - this is not rage. ;-)
 Minor Irritations - Cliff Pope
I'm trying to give up minor irritations after watching that clip of the armless mechanic using tools with his toes.
 Minor Irritations - Ateca chris
The one's who does a U turn where there is a sign saying no U turn on a main road.

Also a supermarket carpark which is one way and they leave a space near the end and cant be botherd to drive the correct way out.Then gives a dirty look when you turn in from the right direction because your in there way.
Last edited by: shadyarea on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 19:25
"I'm trying to give up minor irritations after watching that clip of the armless mechanic using tools with his toes."

Good point.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 22:56
 Minor Irritations - Mike Hannon
I am now officially a grumpy old man and 99.9 per cent of the actions of the rest of the human race get up my nose. But the worst ever was years ago when I followed a car with a back window sticker saying 'I'm using unleaded petrol for YOUR sake'. I am normally Oscar Mild but I wanted to punch him.
 Minor Irritations - apm
Agree with most of the above.

Would like to add: people without kids who park in the parent and child spaces.

It's not the proximity to the store that is important to me (in fact I'd be happy if they were further away) but the extra space. I'd happily park far away if I could have more space but sometimes there isn't. And parent spaces make it much easier to open the door fully to be able to get junior out of his seat! I don't want to open the door into the next car, and they don't want that either!

Hrumph.

Alex.
 Minor Irritations - WillDeBeest
Yes, Alex. Trouble is that the kind of person who does that is not worth your or my while to argue with.

I remember very nicely asking a couple in their sixties if they'd mind parking somewhere else for precisely those reasons (I had my P&C space but then they arrived and took the last one - it was a Saturday morning and I knew other parents would be needing the space.) Their reasons for doing exactly as they pleased included having shopped their for 27 years (I don't think the place had been standing that long), that he really ought to be allowed to use the disabled bays, and (probably) that he'd fought in two world wars.

In fact, of course, they just wanted to park as close as possible to the doors and he wasn't very good at parking - the Metro was nose-in, diagonally across the space. I gave up, apologized for mistaking them for intelligent people and went about my shopping.

Of course, the real answer to this is not to go to the supermarket at all. I haven't pushed a trolley for a 'weekly shop' since 2006.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 15:09
Not me Biggles I'm colour blind;)
I'm not disabled, nor would I bother to use a m&c slot if accompanied by a nipper, so I simply don't notice people using these slots when they aren't entitled to do so.

Were I to see someone doing so, I still wouldn't notice or to be quite honest give a tuppenny damn. I don't see it as my role to correct other people for sloppy or slovenly or selfish behaviour. That way lies being a PITA to the point of insanity. Let those who are inconvenienced give these toerags an earful. It will sound more sincere coming from them, although of course it will usually be wasted breath.

There should be a rear window sticker that says 'pompous waddling mimsing PITA driving'. Indeed if every new car came with one it would be accurate in three quarters of cases.
 Minor Irritations - movilogo
Not sure why so much hatred against Baby on Board sign!

It is just there to encourage safe driving as per Wikipedia -
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_on_Board
Even when we were at the buggy and nappy stage of child rearing we never used the "parent and child" spaces. Not sure why. Never occured to us I suppose. Wouldn't use them now either but would also find it really hard to care who does or doesn't use them. Some people seem to think being a parent is some kind of status enhancer. It's not. It's just normal life. I encourage them to accept that.

I'd defend a disabled person's right to a handy space though but as for an otherwise fit young adult with kids? Do me a favour !
 Minor Irritations - Chas
>Some people seem to think being a parent is some kind of status enhancer. It's not. >It's just normal life.

It isn't normal life, you were lucky. There are loads of people (1 in 5 couples) that struggle to start a family and would consider it a privilege.
>> hatred against Baby on Board sign!

>> It is just there to encourage safe driving

'Hatred' is putting it a bit strongly movilogo. I think 'lip-curling scorn' is nearer the mark. If seeing one of these signs causes anyone to modify their driving, they are too dangerous to be allowed on the road anyway.

Fortunately however most dangerous drivers won't take a blind bit of notice of one of these silly signs, and this is an area where I am in close agreement with the reckless incompetent twerps.

LJK Setright disliked these signs too. He said they falsely implied that infant life was somehow more sacrosanct than other human life.
 Minor Irritations - WillDeBeest
Most of us - me included, much of the time - do as you do, AC, probably because appealing to people's better nature has a low success rate. Given that our pavements are carpeted with litter, and negotiating them, with or without a child, means dodging between cyclists and halves of parked cars, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Well-directed complaining and campaigning can work, though. These days, even in the grotty bit of west London I work in, dog fouling is very much the exception. Society's attitude swung against it and owners started scooping.
How about a sign you can display when you park in a Disabled or P & C bay which states:

"Parked here because I'm sick of my car being damaged by careless, inconsiderate morons." :-)
 Minor Irritations - -
>> "Parked here because I'm sick of my car being damaged by careless, inconsiderate morons." :-)
>>

Good idea, except the twerp who manages to find you when yours is the only car in the most remote part of the car park will, like a magnet, seek you out.

>> Good idea, except the twerp who manages to find you when yours is the only
>> car in the most remote part of the car park will, like a magnet, seek
>> you out.
>>
>>
I can think of a few other things to call them, like incompetent ................. (I dont want to break the swear filter).
Humph you took the words out of my mouth regarding spaces for parents.

Never looked for them myself when the children where small.

Disabled yes,my wife is and its a struggle sometimes for her.Fit parents like you said come on.
 Minor Irritations - Zero
I ignore P+C spaces. If they are empty I will use them.

Never had them when We were with child, didnt need them either, they have no legal basis.
Agreed Zero.
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
...they have no legal basis...

Nor, of course, do the disabled spaces in supermarket car parks.

Minor Irritations - Zero
But they do on the road. And that gives them a cloak of ( I know they are not ) legality in supermarkets.
Legality has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of courtesy. The shop owners are asking you to consider their other clients' convenience by asking the able bodied/non child encumbered clients to park a little further away from the door and give priority to less mobile customers. Like giving up your seat on a tube or bus.
 Minor Irritations - Iffy
...Legality has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of courtesy...

Agreed.

It's a request from the landowner, so strictly speaking ignoring that request is a trespass.

Trespass is a civil wrong, and the landowner's only recourse is to sue for damages.

It would be difficult to quantify damages in this instance, although the supermarket might claim the inconsiderate parker's actions deprived them of the income from the potential customer who was denied access to the space.

Minor Irritations - Zero
Child encumbered clients will just have to learn to manage parking elswhere. If they cant cope they shouldn't breed.
 Minor Irritations - -
I have no problems with proper spaces for the lesser able bodied wherever they may be, too much abuse of the blue badge system though.

People with children cause lots of damage to other parked cars, it doesn't help that the shape of the rear doors often means a sharp corner hits our unfortunate jalopies when the children from hell throw the back doors open.

I'd like car parks to be segregated competely, with children and modern parent free zone where i park.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 12:49
How much abuse is there really with the Blue Badge system.?

Anybody who does shame on you,what comes round goes round.
Latest Forum Posts