Motoring Discussion > Bad idea right? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 45

Bad idea right? - Runfer D'Hills
If, for example, you had hastily sold a car you rather liked. Hypothetically of course. If, however, you didn't actually need it because it was surplus to household requirements you'd not really bother to notice one very similar for sale locally would you?

You would in fact totally ignore the thing. You wouldn't stop for a chat with the vendor thereof and establish that it was a one owner, well maintained, low mileage, highly specified and indeed younger example of the model you had so recently parted with and which was being offered at a very fair price would you.?

You certainly wouldn't do any of this without consulting any other domestically interested parties would you?

That would be quite a bad idea wouldn't it?...
 Bad idea right? - Old Navy
You are doomed.
 Bad idea right? - Bigtee
So you bought it?
 Bad idea right? - swiss tony
That would be similar to having a motorcycle that is well known for its handling, poise, and reliability, then going out and buying a small, old bike, just because you had one as a kid, and reminisce about it often....

.... whilst having the small bikes big brother (that you as a kid used to replace the smaller one) that has been a basket case in your garage for the last 10 years..........

Whilst thinking of getting rid of the current on the road machine....

Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 20:04
Yes I see. Thought so.
 Bad idea right? - Zero
Its like having a wonderful lover, with a sweet nature, reliable, and always ready for it.

You dump her.

You miss her

So you pick up one that looks just like her. Except she turns into a money grabbing beech, and never comes up with the goods.

As the hairy old matelot says, you are in the sheet old son, right up to your neck.
 Bad idea right? - Iffy
...you are in the sheet old son, right up to your neck...

He will be if anyone understands what he's on about.

No problem, all entirely theoretical at this stage.
 Bad idea right? - Dog
You only get one life (less for an x smoker) so do it - for auld lang syne.
I don't smoke Dog. Filthy habit don't y'know?
 Bad idea right? - Dog
>>I don't smoke Dog<<

Well, you deserve a lickle prezzy then, something with a pressed steel body and a wheel on each corner.
 Bad idea right? - Robin O'Reliant
>> I don't smoke Dog. Filthy habit don't y'know?
>>
There you go Humph, perfect excuse,

"Darling, you know my car stinks of tobacco? It was driving me crazy with a craving for a cigarette so I just had to get rid of it before I cracked and went back on them. So I bought this one instead, owned by a non-smoker. It's going to save me a fortune in the long run as I won't be tempted to start smoking again".
Has some merit but mine's a company car and of course I never, ahem, smoked in that...much, very often anyway...

:-)
 Bad idea right? - Dog
>>I never, ahem, smoked in that...much, very often anyway...<<

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar.
You're gonna go far, fly high,
You're never gonna die,
You're gonna make it if you try;
They're gonna love you.

I've always had a deep respect - and I mean that most sincerely.
 Bad idea right? - rtj70
No of course you never have smoked in it - it's a place of work and it would be illegal ;-)
 Bad idea right? - MD
We all do, well nearly all of us.
 Bad idea right? - Manatee
I'd go for it. But I'd know it was a bad idea.
I increasingly suspect some thus far unidentified genetic link with you Manatee. It's getting to be a bit of a worry.

Bad idea right? - -
Terrible idea, tell us more about the spec, colour etc.

Bad idea right? - Westpig
What are you planning on telling the Ubergruppenfuhrer?...and are you partial to hospital food?...or sleeping in the garage?
 Bad idea right? - rtj70
He could always sleep in the Mondeo Estate.

I thought he now at two Qashqai's so why the need for another car?
 Bad idea right? - -
>> I thought he now at two Qashqai's
>>

All fur coat and no knickers mmm, i've been telling him for years that proper estates are the way to go, he never listens.
 Bad idea right? - Kevin
>I thought he now at two Qashqai's

Shouldn't there be Us after the Qs?
 Bad idea right? - rtj70
>> >I thought he now at two Qashqai's
>> Shouldn't there be Us after the Qs?

Should there? Have you asked Nissan?

www.nissan.co.uk/#vehicles/crossovers/qashqai
 Bad idea right? - Avant
No - Qashqai is a type of Iranian nomad, obviously non-U.
Boom Boom !!
 Bad idea right? - Avant
Humph - how long is it to wait till your company Cashcow comes up for renewal and you replace it with a Mondeo (or S-Max)?

If it's too long, you could try the 'I can't lift the mountain bikes on to the Cashcow...you try it' tack with SWMBO.
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 22:35
No, it's fine. A bit like seeing a face in a crowd...

Practicality has kicked back in.

Now a Westfield on the other hand...I could use that to teach H Jnr about engines couldn't I ?

Hmmm

Bad idea right? - Dog
>>Now a Westfield on the other hand...I could use that to teach H Jnr about engines couldn't I ?<<

Sounds to me like you need a fag, friend!
Need? No. Want? A bit, sure, but not enough to actually do it. I expect that will be the case for quite a while. Never mind eh?
 Bad idea right? - Dog
Evil stuff that Nick O'Tene, worse than the brown powder, some say ... don't have that first fag Humph,
you'll only regret it later.
 Bad idea right? - swiss tony
>> Now a Westfield on the other hand...I could use that to teach H Jnr about
>> engines couldn't I ?
>>
Somehow I can see you in a Westfield - dunno why, its not like you ever had one is it?.....
 Bad idea right? - Armel Coussine
I'm ashamed to say (because I take an interest in your doings Humph ever since you were hanging around outside my granddaughter's primary school) that I am at a loss to identify this theoretical vehicle.

If it's a Westfield, just buy it. They are sort of Meccano anyway so if the spaceframe isn't bent or rusty the rest is just tinkering, no? Don't pay more than it's worth obviously granny, and you have to make a hole at both ends to suck eggs...
 Bad idea right? - Zero
>> I'm ashamed to say (because I take an interest in your doings Humph ever since
>> you were hanging around outside my granddaughter's primary school) that I am at a loss
>> to identify this theoretical vehicle.

Now there is the rub AC, clearly the cravings are doing their worse, because the cause of all this motoring angst is:

a FORD Mondeo estate.
It's OK chaps. The craving has passed. I'm back in Cheshire Twonk SUV mode. Might even get a tattoo. Who knows. Deffo on the bikes today though. Going to be hot mind.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 26 Jun 11 at 09:57
 Bad idea right? - Dutchie
Get a tattoo Humph. Peace.:)
 Bad idea right? - Armel Coussine
I don't think tattoos are painful enough for someone finding it frightfully easy not to think about tobacco. Something more along the lines of braided barbed wire from eyebrow to upper lip might be all right though. A sort of non-thinking aid, like Mexican spurs with a spavined old nag, knowImean?

Thanks for the suggestion AC. One does though have to be very careful to ensure these things are on the Cheshire likely lad approved list mind. Apparently the acid test is if David Beckham has had it done. I'm not sure.

On the subject of bad ideas. This one is solveable as there is time. Tomorrow I'm off on a business trip in the morning to Scotland (as if that were relevant but someone might have needed a bit more detail.) Back Tuesday night. Minor issue of having remembered about ten minutes ago that tomorrow is our wedding anniversary. Card shortage and present deficit but forewarned is forearmed..

Cunning plan required. Time of essence.

Suggestions gratefully considered.
 Bad idea right? - Zero
Phone up your local florist, explain predicament. they might have some flowers at the door by lunchtime.

Bad idea right? - Phil I
Excellent advice from Zed. add an e-anniversary card - problem solved. I assume Ubergruppenfuhrer has own email address.

Happy Motoring Phil I

Bad idea right? - Ted

The flowers might just come in the form of a wreath.

Just looking at something tempting myself.......it's ok with the home office though !
Might wait 'til me cataract gets ripped out on July 27th, though.

Ted
 Bad idea right? - Dutchie
That sounds painfull Ted.

Always works flowers better late than never.
 Bad idea right? - Bobbin Threadbare

>> Ubergruppenfuhrer
>>

Sorry guys but if this title describes a woman it has to be 'die Ubergruppenfuhrerin'. Or possibly 'die Obergruppenführerin'. We appreciate correct evil monikers, ta. ;-P
 Bad idea right? - DP
>> Minor issue
>> of having remembered about ten minutes ago that tomorrow is our wedding anniversary. Card shortage
>> and present deficit but forewarned is forearmed..

>> Suggestions gratefully considered.

Buy the Mondeo before the divorce proceedings / hospital stay. ;-)
Last edited by: DP on Sun 26 Jun 11 at 23:33
 Bad idea right? - Old Navy
Buy the Mondeo after the divorce, (you won't loose it), or on discharge from hospital, (you will need the comfort). :-)
All sorted. Business trip hastily re-arranged. Dawn raid on Sainsburys has cured card / flower problem. Sun shining out of fundament resultant...

Never a problem.

Latest Forum Posts