Motoring Discussion > Cooking beef in a Mondeo Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 27

Cooking beef in a Mondeo - SteelSpark
It's been hot in the London for the past couple of days, and today I wondered just how hot in would get in my Mondeo (parked in direct sunlight at 1pm), so I put my meat thermometer on the dashboard (bit too much time on my hands today).

It reached a peak temperature of 75C, which I don't have to tell you is pretty hot. By comparison the hottest outside temperature ever recorded is 57.8C in Libya.

It is also, according to the thermometer, enough to get your joint of beef to medium (needs 77 for well done) - albeit it would be an extremely slow cook.

I see that, sadly, a couple of police dogs recently died, locked in a police van.

All too easy to see how it could happen so quickly in this weather.

Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Armel Coussine
>> I see that, sadly, a couple of police dogs recently died, locked in a police van.

Probably a regular event in Korea.

'No, not bleu, Mr Cho... just un peu saignant, OK? Another hour judging by their size, then... Mmmmmm!'

(No apologies to dog lovers. If they feel like that they can come round and get their pooches to bite me in the leg. If they can of course. Dogs like me).
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 18:07
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Fursty Ferret
I have actually fried an egg on a pavement in Arizona, so can well believe that it's possible to get that hot in a car. Had no A/C in the car either for a while...
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Zero

>> I see that, sadly, a couple of police dogs recently died, locked in a police
>> van.
>>
>> All too easy to see how it could happen so quickly in this weather.

No its not, its inexcusable. Millions of pet dog owners manage not to cook their dogs in cars let alone professional dog handlers who should know better.

I hope they get prosecuted.
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Bromptonaut
Press report on Met police dog deaths

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13932187
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Hard Cheese

>>
>> No its not, its inexcusable.>>

Agreed.

Cooking beef in a Mondeo - MD
Nothing but Scum Zeddo. They deserve the same treatment.
A twist to the plot.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13939439

Cooking beef in a Mondeo - R.P.
Attempted suicide according to the Mail.
I am kind of personally upset about this, I have helped train and become attached to some Malinois that have gone on to careers in the Police.

It seems at least that the handler has realised the depth of his stupidity. I am obsessed about not leaving dogs in hot cars.
It gets worse.

It is the second time he has been responsible for the death of a dog left in a vehicle.

Cooking beef in a Mondeo - DP
Parked the Golf in the sun on Sunday afternoon for a couple of hours, and in a public car park so everything had to be closed up. When I returned to it, it was so hot inside that it actually took my breath when I got behind the wheel (which I then proceeded to burn my hand on).
A dog wouldn't stand a chance, and frankly I can't imagine anyone being so stupid as to leave any living creature in a car in conditions like that. I didn't measure it of course, but I wouldn't have been at all surprised if it was 60-65 degrees inside that car. Would have been hard to tolerate with all the windows closed and no blower/air-con even for a minute.
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Iffy
Returning to a hot car has shown me another benefit of having a convertible.

You can literally feel the hot air lift out of the car as the roof goes back.

Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Boxsterboy
My S-Max was showing 53 degress C after a day in the London sun yesterday. Not sure how accurate it is though, I thought the sensors were in the shade externally (in the door mirror housing?)
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - R.P.
As Zero says I'm obsessed with leaving my dog in a car - he insists on being left in there occasionally, back doors are left open for him then, otherwise he has to be lifted out. But I would never leave him in any sort of warm weather for long at all.
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Iffy
Being stupid has never been a bar to entering the police.

I've dealt with hundreds of coppers over the years, some are among the sharpest people you will find, others among the thickest.

It's the same in most walks of life.

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 12:03
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Dutchie
So the dog handlers are the thickest,same thing happened about a year ago.This was on the hottest day of the year.
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Londoner
1st bloke "I hear that you've got a new car"
2nd bloke "Yes - a Mondeo"
1st bloke "What model?"
2nd bloke "Just the cooking version!"
>> So the dog handlers are the thickest,

I have met and worked with a few. Like all wlaks of life there is good and bad.

Essex are worse, poor dogs, terrible handlers. Northants are best, best dogs and best handlers. It all depends on the person in charge of the dog unit. Take GMP. Was run by a complete megalomaniac, who wouldnt know a good dog if it bit him. Unlikely tho as he insisted on breeding the wimpiest dogs on earth. Some of them cant even jump farm gates!
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Bromptonaut
Interesting comment re my home force Z - though I rarely see local plod with dogs.

The ones I do like are the Spaniels BTP have at Euston. Presumably drug or bomb sniffers - they don't look fierce enough to deter!!
Spaniels nice caracter dogs hell of a good nose, thats why they are chosen for drug sniffing.
>> Spaniels nice caracter dogs hell of a good nose, thats why they are chosen for
>> drug sniffing.
>>

Plus they are keen, really keen. Very hard workers, never get bored when working.
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - VxFan
>> Parked the Golf in the sun on Sunday afternoon for a couple of hours, and in a public car park so everything had to be closed up. When I returned to it, it was so hot inside that it actually took my breath when I got behind the wheel

I can open (and close) all 4 windows on my Vectra with the remote blipper. Handy on a hot day to open all the windows a few seconds before reaching the car to let some of the residual heat out. Mind you, the solar glass cuts down on the amount of heat inside in the first place. The leather seats are still hot to the posterior though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 13:00
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Cliff Pope
I read an article by someone who regularly bakes food by wrapping it in foil and wedging on the exhaust manifold. He knew the drive times for a whole range of meats and pasties.
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Alanovich
He'd have to adjust cooking times for diesel powered engines as they warm up more slowly.
Amazing what one can learn on this forum.;)
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Old Navy
In Australia many people put a fitted carpet on the dashboard to stop it cracking with the heat. These are sold for most car models.

www.haigh.com.au/www_dashmats_com_au/
 Cooking beef in a Mondeo - Cliff Pope
And of course as in the home, electricity is so slow.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 15:21
Latest Forum Posts