Motoring Discussion > Which satnav for a beginner? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 33

Which satnav for a beginner? - Mike Hannon
I never thought I would find myself posing this question, but there you go...
We did a longish trip with friends last week and for the first time ever I found myself sharing a car with a satnav. OK, it was a years-old Tomtom that my friend won in a raffle but I couldn't help but be impressed with it so I thought, 'maybe the time has come'.
So today I looked at Amazon (UK) and what I thought would be simple has quickly become the usual nightmare - why are there so many different ones?
I thought I would just stick to Tomtom in a desperate bid to narrow the field a little.
I want one that does the basic things for the UK, ROI and Europe and it would be nice to have speed camera alerts (soon to become illegal in France though, I understand), maybe also the bit that tells you where to go if you need a garage or restaurant or whatever.
Every time I tried to look at a particular one there was a reminder that there's now a newer model and I couldn't tell the difference. The user reviews were the usual 'brilliant/carp' selection, hence useless.
So, does anyone have any ideas? I did do a forum search and I don't want to start a 1000-entry thread but a bit of direction would be very welcome.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - ....
Buy the one which covers the area you are likely to drive in. That gets the obvious out of the way.

The greatest use I have for my satnav is the traffic information. I pretty much know the route I will take for most journeys, the traffic info. is the important bit for me and if I can re-route around a jam I'm happy.
Check this on the model you choose as some countries charge extra for this service.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Zero
Sticking to TomTom is a good idea, its the best interface for newbies, (Nicole quickly acclimatised to hers).

You know what maps you want, so that's made it easier still. POI is the bit that indicates restaurants and speed camera capability.

Assume you don't want bluetooth or other fancy goodies. so that leaves your choices down to traffic capability or not.

Its all down to price.

www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/xl-iq-routes-2-europe/index.jsp

is my recommendation.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - CGNorwich
I would go for this model. Does all you want it to without breaking the bank. Driving certainly becomes less stressful when you have a decent Satnav. Just ask my wife!

www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-20-Europe-Satellite-Navigation/dp/B004W1GQ92/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309255909&sr=8-2
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Bobbin Threadbare
Have you got a smartphone? I just use google maps on my mobile and I have a USB-to-cig lighter converter to keep it charged while I'm driving.
>> Have you got a smartphone? I just use google maps on my mobile and I
>> have a USB-to-cig lighter converter to keep it charged while I'm driving.

A very poor solution in most respects. I would prefer that wife with a map, and that is not a good solution believe me.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 12:26
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Old Navy
>> >> Have you got a smartphone? I just use google maps on my mobile and
>> I
>> >> have a USB-to-cig lighter converter to keep it charged while I'm driving.
>>
>> A very poor solution in most respects. I would prefer that wife with a map,
>> and that is not a good solution believe me.
>>

These jack of all trades devices are rarely as good as a dedicated one.

I prefer a good phone, a good camera, and a good satnav.
I'm not sure I understand why it's a poor solution. It has traffic 'layers' to show you where is busy. I look up where I'm going before I set off, and put the radio on to traffic setting. I had TomTom on my last phone though which was alright.
>> I'm not sure I understand why it's a poor solution.

Where to start.

If using google maps, you need a data connection all the time, the screen is too small, it does not zoom at junctions, does not give complete audible driving directions, the user interface is lousy for use on the move, All in all compared to a car sat nav its a complete disaster.

you need a data connection all the time - hence the smartphone with a 4.5 in screen!

I don't have a problem with it; it's just a guide. I very rarely get lost.
>> I don't have a problem with it; it's just a guide. I very rarely get
>> lost.
>>

That must be why you don't need a decent satnav. Wait until you get out more. :-)
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Crankcase
We've done this one before (more than once) but I'm with Bobbin - I've used lots and lots of proper satnavs and they're all fine, but now I use the iPhone and I'm more than happy with it for my purposes.

I have to agree with Bobbin though, as she knows all about Stalin now and might get ideas.

>> I have to agree with Bobbin though, as she knows all about Stalin now and
>> might get ideas.
>>

Yeah! You just wait till the People's Republic of Merseyside takes off...! :-P
>> Yeah! You just wait till the People's Republic of Merseyside takes off...! :-P
>>

If you have another Derek Hatton around, good luck!

>> Yeah! You just wait till the People's Republic of Merseyside takes off...! :-P

Jesus, A parliament full of gobby scousers.

>>
>> Jesus, A parliament full of gobby scousers.
>>

What's wrong with that eh?

No Hattons allowed.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - -
I prefer TomTom to use, but we both have Garmin's...not quite as user friendly but compared to a Toyota OE nightmare a doddle.

What swayed us is the traffic receiver, if you get one with a small 't' in the model number it will have free traffic for life, whereas TT will charge you annually for the service.

Incidentally the first one i bought from Pixmania had to go back, it had come direct from France and was only able to receive French traffic...the receiver is in the power lead on them.

They do have the useful facility of being able to search traffic all round in an ever increasing radius once a signal has been received, very useful that as a major incident could have repercussions for miles around but wouldn't necessarily show up on your chosen route at the time.

I was reluctant convert, spawn of the devil imo, and still prefer to find my own open road routes, but brilliant in strange towns to get your bearings....even of you don't use them as they are intended, i don't and have it on silent permanently, but they are about the most compact easy use full country street map imagineable.

Personally i prefer a bigger screen and have the Garmin 1490t, smaller screen means i wear me nose out sliding reading glasses on and off.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 11:40
I would reccomend the Tomtom start 20, (it also comes in a bigger screen version, the 25). It is a new model and although a basic one will do all you want. This website may be useful.

www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 12:21
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Dutchie
I have a basic Tom Tom.Four years old now works fine here and abroad.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Meldrew
My TT 720 Go is about 4 years old (same as Zero's?) and is fine. UK and Western Europe maps, Bluetooth for my mobile and traffic thru the RDS module. I can add that, from recent experience, the Customer support is excellent. They are on an 0845 number but a search on the invaluable saynoto0870 site comes up with London number that switches thru to the call centre in Holland.

Additionally, if you want speed camera info it is £20 a year for 20+ countries; Garmin want £20 PER country so factor that in if the cameras interest you.
I have the camara also for europe.Handy also in France for static camaras not illegal in France I believe for the forseable future.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Meldrew
Display of camera location on the device is illegal in Germany SFAIK and I haven't yet found a way of getting an audio warning for something that isn't on the screen.

My drifted post was actually only meant to be a recommendation to OP of a make of satnav and not a specific model BTW!
>> My TT 720 Go is about 4 years old (same as Zero's?) and is fine.

Yeah, its been a Gem. Best Electronic device I have ever purchased.

>> Additionally, if you want speed camera info it is £20 a year for 20+ countries;
>> Garmin want £20 PER country so factor that in if the cameras interest you.

I use the pocket GPSWORLD database on mine.

Well I did till someone pointed out the PGPSW app for Iphone. I use that now, its brilliant best camera device since the now defunct Origin BluEye. I have it set to only alert if above the speed limit.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Crankcase
>>I have it set to only alert if above the speed limit.

How do you know it's working then?
My TT 720 does all I require, in fact more as the Ceed has bluetooth and ipod / USB inputs built in.
Just checking on a German website fot sat nav with camara location in Germany.

There have been no cases that the German police will confiscate the sat nav.

There was a case in Switzerland and the judge threw it out.

Its Radar detectors they don't like.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Mike Hannon
Thanks for all the advice - the fog is clearing, I think.
French govt has announced plans for large on-the-spot fines for people using devices to pinpoint fixed speed cameras from September but the law itself hasn't gone through yet, AFAIK. It also includes removal of advance warning signs for fixed cameras. I think if it does go through, in spite of opposition from Sarko's own side, there will be even more headlight flashing and a steep increase in spray paint sales.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - rtj70
I would rate a tomtom ahead of Google Navigation on an android phone.

But Google Navigation does not need constant data access because it caches the maps. If you plan the route when on wifi it uses little data. Unless you use with satellite view. Talking of zooming at junctions it can switch to street view and show you the actual junction which is a little cool.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Oldgit
>> I would rate a tomtom ahead of Google Navigation on an android phone.
>>
>> But Google Navigation does not need constant data access because it caches the maps. If
>> you plan the route when on wifi it uses little data. Unless you use with
>> satellite view. Talking of zooming at junctions it can switch to street view and show
>> you the actual junction which is a little cool.
>>

I have just bought another toy i.e. an HTC Desire S android phone. You note that I said 'toy' as would only consider something whose battery only support about 24 hours of use if you use its functions, no more than a toy.
I switch mine off most the time to conserve battery power and I bought a Mugen 1800 mAhr battery to improve matters. They're not very smart really just fun to use, providing you are near a source of power. When I on rare holidays I will take my candy bar Nokia phone with me as well as that will go ages before a 13 amp socket is necessary!
Buy a proper Sat nav for driving
 Which satnav for a beginner? - WillDeBeest
That makes my laptop a toy as well. And most of the torches I've ever owned. And indeed, all our cars, which won't run usefully for 24 hours without an energy top up.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - Oldgit
>> That makes my laptop a toy as well. And most of the torches I've ever
>> owned. And indeed, all our cars, which won't run usefully for 24 hours without an
>> energy top up.
>>

Now those are very poor analogies.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - WillDeBeest
They're not analogies at all - they're examples of things I find useful that would be classified as 'toys' under the 24-hour definition.
They can all be toys, it depends on the use you put them to. I can fill my car much faster than I can fill my phone, satnav, camera, laptop, etc. Good job the electrical kit does not cost as much as the car to refill.
 Which satnav for a beginner? - swiss tony
>> They can all be toys, it depends on the use you put them to. I
>> can fill my car much faster than I can fill my phone, satnav, camera, laptop,
>> etc. Good job the electrical kit does not cost as much as the car to
>> refill.
>>
You can fill your car quickly now.
Not so quickly if it was an electric one.....
Latest Forum Posts