Motoring Discussion > I really hate Jaguars now. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 26

I really hate Jaguars now. - R.P.
Having settled for a 4x4 SUV/Crossover thingy - they bring this beauty out....I love it and I want one.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?o=0&id=447616
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 16:42
 I really hate Jaguars now. - Old Navy
Posing gay hairdressers motor. :-)
 I really hate Jaguars now. - Runfer D'Hills
Nah , Ted's got two of them...

:-)))
 I really hate Jaguars now. - Armel Coussine
>> Posing gay hairdressers motor. :-)

Yes, the Matelot's got it right, very like a BMW Z-mobile, and with that high rump a bit like a Merc convertible (most of those being hairdressery at heart).

Haven't liked any of the recent 2-seater Jaguars to look at. I don't like that front end much, continued with this new thing. Of the current range the XF is the best looking to me. Although drivers speak highly of the XJ there's something naff about the proportions, something to do with the rear quarters I think. The design looks heavy.

Of course these aesthetic opinions are very variable and personal. I wouldn't want to be discoursing learnedly on the Golden Mean etc. However I can't help feeling that I know a good-looking jalopy when I see one. There aren't all that many after all, and there never were.

Fact is, ugly ducklings can be just as lovable, more even.
 I really hate Jaguars now. - -
That does look the business, proper engine too.

Not the easiest to shoe horn yerself in but that's not what traditional sporting cars are about is it.
I'd have one.
 I really hate Jaguars now. - Iffy
Here's a pic of a white one with the top down:

www.motorauthority.com/image/100300740_jaguar-xe-roadster-rendering

Looks slightly better finished, so might be nearer to a production version.

I really hate Jaguars now. - Runfer D'Hills
It is possible to get hold of XK convertibles ( relatively ) cheaply these days. I could be tempted by one. As a toy. It's another bad idea I know but strangely one I suspect would be much easier to have ratified...
...It is possible to get hold of XK convertibles ( relatively ) cheaply these days...

Nice way to get about, although a bit juicy.

Could be why they don't fetch huge money.

>> Nice way to get about, although a bit juicy.
>>
>> Could be why they don't fetch huge money.

El Pee Gee..:-)
...El Pee Gee..:-)...

Might be good enough for a Stuttgart taxi, but not for a proper gentleman's sports tourer.

I really hate Jaguars now. - legacylad
nicest looking car I saw all weekend was an XKR.
And almost next to it was an elderly Volvo 123 GT.
both very nice in their own way.
 I really hate Jaguars now. - PhilW
Jag seem to be hitting the nail on the head these days - XF is fantastic - one of my favourites, XK beautiful and a real goer (especially the supercharged one) even if it doesn't make a noise like a DB9/Maserati etc - more of a refined roar, and the XJ that I drove a few weeks ago struck me as a beautiful, luxurious car to drive. Yes, back end is a bit "lumpy", but loads of room, (a few sets of golf clubs and suitcases would go in the boot) loads of power, superbly comfortable, loads of room and surprisingly economical. Admittedly, it was 200 miles on largely motorways, and I drove it relatively gently with only the occasional "burst" to overtake (oh, OK then, to see how it accellerated) but it did 45mpg - not sure what engine it had, but a fairly big diesel I presume). The XF and XJ feel as if they would handle like GTs if pushed as well - (I've never really pushed them because they are other people's or dealer's cars, not mine)
Question is, why couldn't we do that with Jags - how come it has to be owned by an Indian company before they produce cars like this? (No slight intended to Indians - more of a slight on UK I think).
That XE looks like another winner: better looking than the equivalent MB, Lexus or BM at first sight - would like to see it in the flesh though.
>> Might be good enough for a Stuttgart taxi, but not for a proper gentleman's sports
>> tourer.

The former being in daily use, loved, cherished and being driven regularly as it's so economical, the latter apparently for sale at giveaway prices..:-)
 I really hate Jaguars now. - Dave_
Ahhh that's what it was. I saw a white XE, hardtop, on the motorway about three weeks ago. Numberplate started VX11 (all JLR test hacks seem to have a VX reg), plus it had trade plates in the windows. I thought it was a current model XK from the LED rear lights, although it was subtly different somehow... This one had a fixed, raised rear spoiler like a 90s Touring Car, and some carbon fibre(?) bits. And quad exhausts, mmmm.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 23:38
 I really hate Jaguars now. - four wheels good...
Has someone been to Halfords and bought some cheap plastic wheel arches for the black one?
 I really hate Jaguars now. - Mike Hannon
The white one looks nice, much nicer than the peculiarly retro/modern XK in my opinion. Much more resolved at the front.
Then again, I think the BMW Z3 is a pretty little thing...
 I really hate Jaguars now. - Alanovich
>> Then again, I think the BMW Z3 is a pretty little thing...
>>

It puts me in mind of the ridiculously long-bonneted cars in which the wolf character in Tex Avery cartoons would arrive at night clubs. See also: BMW Z4. Groo.
 I really hate Jaguars now. - WillDeBeest
I like the XK - I used to walk past a pale blue one with the boys on the way to school and it was the first Jaguar in decades whose styling alone made me want one.

Humph's comment made me wonder briefly whether an XK coupé - pale leather, dark dash, metal inlays - would do as a solo commuting car for me, but at close to £25,000 for an 07 car, plus an arm and a leg for insurance, the other leg for petrol and the bit in between for tyres, somehow I don't think so.
}:===(
>>It puts me in mind of the ridiculously long-bonneted cars in which the wolf character in Tex Avery cartoons would arrive at night clubs.<<

I've just been out and measured the bonnets of my cars.
Prelude 126cm
XJS 150cm
I guess it must be a fetish of mine...

Tex Avery is still big in comic books over here.
Here's a favourite cartoon

www.flickr.com/photos/64660965@N03/5887473226/in/photostream
Bonnets have become shorter over the years, presumably due to the widespread adoption of the transverse engine/front wheel drive layout.

I really hate Jaguars now. - R.P.
The X1 has a reassuringly big one (!) I'll measure it shortly....
 I really hate Jaguars now. - WillDeBeest
Perhaps 'cab-forward' design is a factor here too. I first heard that mentioned in 1993 when the first Mondeo appeared, although US makers were talking in similar terms at the time. It's also supposed to be a feature of my S60, although the 'cab' seems a lot further back than in some other cars I've driven. I can at least see some bonnet in front of me, which isn't always the case.
...Has someone been to Halfords and bought some cheap plastic wheel arches for the black one?...

The front grille looks bodged as well.

It must be a pre-production model.

I really hate Jaguars now. - Zero
>> ...Has someone been to Halfords and bought some cheap plastic wheel arches for the black
>> one?...
>>
>> The front grille looks bodged as well.
>>
>> It must be a pre-production model.

Its a mule. It has bits tacked on to disguise it.
 I really hate Jaguars now. - DP
The XK is one of those cars that I reckon looks a lot better in the metal than in pictures.

I let a tidy metallic grey 2004 XKR out of a junction the other day, and as I sat behind it for the next few minutes, it occurred to me what a pretty thing it is. Lovely V8 rumble as he pulled away too.

I have experienced the supercharged V8 in an XJR. It is a tremendous engine. Full bore acceleration gives you that lovely, wobbly feeling in the pit of your stomach, and the ease with which it attains, and passes, the ton is just ridiculous. V8 burble and supercharger whine should be standard on all cars. :-)

Then back to the real world of £1.35 a litre and CO2 based VED...... :-(
 I really hate Jaguars now. - legacylad
ah, the real world DP.
Ultimately pushing up daises...
Latest Forum Posts