Motoring Discussion > Hooked and reeled in ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 8

Hooked and reeled in ! - Ted

Mentioned in Hump's thread ' Bad idea ' that I had seen summat I fancied.

I was going to wait but it ticked all the boxes and I thought I might have to wait for something similar to come up.

So, clutching credit card, SWM and I drove the 9 miles to North Manchester and had a good look and feel at the object of my desires
The idea was to replace my towcar soon. The Vitara 2litre, 5 door, TD Auto is 15 yrs old and the rust is ' happening ' on the rear arches. With a few dings and scratches, it's looking somewhat tatty now.

So, what have I chosen to replace the faithful old warrior ?

Er, it's a Vitara, 2 litre, 5 door, TD Auto !....Nothing if not adventuous , me !
This one's red over silver, FSH, MOT to Nov. It's 7 years younger though.
79K, well shod, PSA engine....everything works. No evidence of a belt change, should be done around 60K, so I'll get that done and transfer the Cherished ( not by me ) plate off the old one. Needs a towbar, but a call to A1 towing in Rotherham will see one wing it's way to me by Royal Mail !

Looking forward to it, I'm going to have it delivered by my old firm so I don't have to mess with paperwork ATM. The old one's got £50 of DERV in it......I'll use that up a bit before I swap.

Ted
 Hooked and reeled in ! - Runfer D'Hills
Way hey !!

Q - what do you call a man with two 4x4s ?

:-)

Anything you want, he can't hear you !

Oh no, sorry....that's a deaf gorilla with an axe.....I think.

Ted
 Hooked and reeled in ! - -
Ooh Ted is that the GV, which in autoDiesel form is a cracking motor, good for you i've always fancied one of those meself.

You're not really telling me your going to ponce about using the fuel up in the old one...they're a doddle to syphon, you'll have that out in ten minutes.

Ows about a pic or three guv?
 Hooked and reeled in ! - Iffy
Well done Ted, them's good cars them Vitaras, so it should serve you well.

Hooked and reeled in ! - Armel Coussine
>> them's good cars them Vitaras, so it should serve you well.

You'd want the Vauxhall BTCC lump and ancillaries, with uprated underpinnings to suit though, wouldn't you?

You wouldn't want people to think you were mimsing with your caravan now would you Ted? And just think how you would enjoy taking the Sheikh for a terrifying spin round the stews of Longsight, repeatedly and contemptuously outrunning carloads of Manchester's (modern-style, not as fine as they used to be obviously) finest!

:o}

I know what you mean Armel......maybe in a different life. The dealers had a nice looking Frontera Diesel Auto on the pitch but it was a 3 door and a bit older...nice nick, though.

Specially for GB.....

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/Vitara/?action=view¤t=bj52.jpg

I rather like the 5 spoke alloys on the old car...I'll see which have the better tyres...I might swap.
Ordered a towbar...£122. Delivery following day although I've put them off 'til Thursday.
This model has a useful shallow bin under the boot carpet. Somewhere for bits and pieces, at last.

Ted
 Hooked and reeled in ! - -
Nice motor Ted, simple and tough as old John White's commando boots.

Alloys eh, there's posh for you.

I did syphon the old one when I did a mis-fill. Very small hole to get a pipe in. Ended up wriggling some 6 mm fuel pipe through but it didn't leave enough sticking out to aim into the can. I shoved a length of 10mm copper up it and that did the job ok...although slowly.

Sorting out the picture, I noticed a small round white thing on the back wing. It had a black cross in it.
I knew the filler was on t'other side. Took some time to figure what it was.

It's gone now....since I moved me mouse !....Dohhhhh!

Ted
Latest Forum Posts