Motoring Discussion > ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 22

ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - RattleandSmoke
My local ASDA has now gone down to 128.7p, my local Esso is 134.p. My Esso has a small Tesco, lately all the supermarkets in my local town have been loosing my business to ASDA because it has a very cheap petrol station.

So do ASDA make the fuel so cheap on purpose in the hope people will also use the supermarket?

Done 180 miles with the ASDA fuel so far and I can't tell anything difference at all over the Shell stuff.

ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - Dave_
>> So do ASDA make the fuel so cheap on purpose in the hope people will also use the supermarket?

Yes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - DP
Many ASDA stations, including the one I use occasionally when visiting my parents just outside Oxford, are unmanned / pay at pump only. This must reduce overheads quite considerably, as well as allow them to open 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year without any additional staffing costs.

A quick check on petrolprices.com shows both ASDA stations within 20 miles of me, at 128.7 (diesel 132.7) so this must be a national thing. Unfortunately, the nearest is nearly 10 miles away, and a total swine to get to. Unless I can be bothered to drive 20 mins up the road, it's 133.9 and 136.9 for petrol and diesel respectively, in line with the local (apparent) cartel's plot.
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - nyx2k
my asda is 25 miles away so ill stick to paying 143 per lite locally
Mine is about 2.5 miles away, so 5 miles round trip. However my local petrol station is about 300 yards away.

If I need stuff from the supermarket though and need fuel then I will go to ASDA.

ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - Old Navy
When local running we average half a tank a week. I fill up each Thursday while Mrs ON does the weekly food shop in Tesco or ASDA (both nearby). I know all the carrying extra weight stuff, but we are never critical for fuel.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 30 Jun 11 at 21:20
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - mikeyb
Sainsburys are doing spend £60 in store and get 10p a litre off. My local is only 133.9 for diesel anyway so 10p off makes filling up slightly more bearable
Although you probably spend a lot more in Sainsbury's :). I only use supermarkets for the offers, anything else I get from discount shops or my local butchers etc. Far cheaper that way.
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - mikeyb
Time is money! I dont have the luxury of shopping around - want to do it all in one place, and sainsburys is competitive compared to most other mainstream supermarkets
You're lucky, but the way things are going I think many of us will have to shop around more. I find for example the same brand of cheese can be a third cheaper in my local freezer shop, than in my local Morrison's. Luckily I a lot of great shops on my door step. Where I live is famous in Manchester for its choice of food shops, although a lot cater for the high end of the market, enough cater for poor punks like me.

Also the more I spend time in different local shops, people bump into me and ask me to look at their computer, as seeing me reminded them it needs fixing.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 30 Jun 11 at 21:56
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - Ted

I'm being forced to attend Ratto's Asda in the morning. Sadly, both cars are full of juice !

By the way Rats, my new car has the dreaded BJ registration like a local Panda I see around !

Ted
I bet your last letters don't spell sex though!

I don't find that ASDA too bad, if you're in and out quickly, I point blank refuse take my grandma though. She was in there two hours last time!
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - Dave_
>> I don't find that ASDA too bad

Nothing wrong with stores like that.

www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/top-rated (some asterisked swearing in descriptions)
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/6edgl4n

tinyurl.com/5wkryqz

ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - jc2
Use an Asda card-the fuel is even cheaper.
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - L'escargot
>> My local ASDA has now gone down to 128.7p, my local Esso is 134.p.

Don't exaggerate. That's 5.3 pence per litre, or 5 pence rounded to the nearest 1 penny, not 6 pence per litre.
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - Boxsterboy
There is also the school of thought that supermarket fuel is inferior to branded fuel. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but you do hear stories of some cars that are run exclusively on supermarket fuel suffering.
I meant 134.9p. Interestingly today ASDA as now gone up to 129.7p and Tesco down to 133.9p.
If I went a total of 20 miles per month out of my way to buy petrol I'd have to get it at 4.6 pence per litre cheaper just to break even on petrol costs. And that's not taking into account the additional costs of the other factors involved in the additional mileage I'd have to do to find cheaper petrol. And it's also not taking into account the fact that the cheaper petrol could be of lower quality.

I'll stick to my current policy of buying petrol on my regular routes.
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - Mike Hannon
>>There is also the school of thought that supermarket fuel is inferior to branded fuel. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but you do hear stories of some cars that are run exclusively on supermarket fuel suffering. <<

It's difficult to know, isn't it? I've heard all the debate. When in the UK I always used Esso or Shell and the only time our Legend coupe ever missed a beat was when I was in a hurry one day and filled it at Asda. Topped it up ASAP with Esso and it was fine again.
Over here I use supermarket petrol as a matter of course (particularly since the monolithic Total started wiping out Elf stations) and have never had any problems.
I think what I will do is buy Shell every third visit or so to minimise the risk. I think the only issue with supermarket fuel is it isn't as good as cleaning as the more expensive stuff. So if you do a few thousand miles on ASDA fuel the injectors might start clogging up.

Done 400 miles now using ASDA fuel and no issues so far though.
 ASDA petrol - why is 6p cheaper? - DP
My parents have been running their cars (one petrol, one diesel) pretty much exclusively on ASDA fuel for the past six years without a single hiccup. One of them (the diesel) has done over 100,000 miles on it, with no ill effects.

I've heard that additive packages in"branded" fuels may be superior, but the idea that supermarket fuel will actually damage your engine as a result of its specification is ludicrous. It meets the required (stringent) standard for road fuels, as set out by BSI. It won't kill your engine.

Of course the argument around whether branded fuels are better will run and run. Personally, I've never managed to get a consistent improvement or deterioration in economy or performance when switching brands. I cannot categorically state that brand X will affect my tank range by X miles. Driving style and traffic condition variables make a much bigger difference.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 6 Jul 11 at 21:32
For what it's worth, this is what What Car? magazine say about petrol quality. tinyurl.com/69256ky
Latest Forum Posts