Motoring Discussion > The Eurotunnel and your wheels. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 15

The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Bigtee
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91861

Anyone comment on this happening? maybe the op had such a low car with low profile wheels.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Dave_
Absolute pish. You see plenty of rubber bumper scrapes on the walls in multi-storey carparks but no-one puts in a claim against the council because the corners are too right-angled.

That's the first time I've looked at the HJ site in over a year. Very slow loading the page, I assume because of the animated adverts.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Runfer D'Hills
Used the tunnel many times upstairs and down. Never had a problem. Well I say that. I went through once and the train behind mine went on fire but it didn't affect my alloys. I did have to get the ferry home though.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - PhilW
Use the tunnel for about 5 return trips a year and because my wife doesn't like the upper deck (it sways more she says!) we usually end up on it!
I must be very unobservant because I've never even noticed these high kerbs or had a problem with them - nor have I seen anyone else have a problem. Don't think ramp is that steep either
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - DP
Never had a problem either. About half a dozen trips for me in various cars, upper and lower decks.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Victorbox
>> Absolute pish. You see plenty of rubber bumper scrapes on the walls in multi-storey carparks
>> but no-one puts in a claim against the council because the corners are too right-angled.
>>
>> That's the first time I've looked at the HJ site in over a year. Very
>> slow loading the page, I assume because of the animated adverts.

My thoughts exactly on both points you make including the annoying pop-unders they use when the pop-up is blocked! Also it seems as soon as you start to type a response the page focus shifts to the adverts and you have to start again.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - ....
I use the service quite frequently, there are hardly any kerbs left the RR Sports have flatened them.

The state of the trains now a few claims for wheels and tyres would probably bankrupt them and shut the service down.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 2 Jul 11 at 19:09
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Skip
"The state of the trains now a few claims for wheels and tyres would probably bankrupt them and shut the service down. "

I noticed how run down & shabby it looked the last time i used it.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Dave
I can see how it can quite easily happen. You can't see much as you go up the ramp, and the kerbs are really there to almost guide you down the wagon. Plus they do narrow quite a bit where the carraiges join. Although I would think that if you take it easy, and have tyres that are wider than the rims, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I know i got sent up there once in the Landcruiser, and suddenly wondering if I'd measured the height correctly before I made the booking (it measured 184cms high). And with a long bonnet, you couldn't see the top of the ramp until you were already there. With the wide stance you kind of bounced from kerb to kerb when proceeding down the carraige.

As for trying to sue them for hitting a kerb, it's really down to driver error as far as I can see.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Skoda
I can empathise with the OP - noone likes a kerbed alloy.

You have to be responsible for your own actions though. If it were me, i'd have been asking for assistance if i thought i needed it. The OP refers to marker posts he knew should be fitted, but he didn't ask for them to be fitted when he saw they were missing?

As for the bashed rails mentioned, that doesn't really mean anything in a publicly accessible area - go to any multi storey car park and there's bashed kerbs and a rainbow of colours on the walls at turns. A lot of people just can't drive well.

The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Old Navy
Are the drivers who damage their wheels the same ones who leave paint on multi story car park pillars and ramp sides?
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - R.P.
Two non-average cars got on before me and my bike in 08, a Bugatti Veyron and a giant new (factory owned) Phantom.....neither driver seemed to have problems.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - mikeyb
Been on it a few times in the Sharan and dont recall size being an issue, although think we have only made the top deck once
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - R.P.
Whilst we're on the subject ! Boarding or de-training on a motorcycle is a nightmare, especially a larger one (as in wide) - you have to ride in the wheel "lanes" a car would take - so you either ride to the offside or nearside of the carriage - ride down the middle (along the covered well) at your peril.....should have been properly thought out for bikes.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 3 Jul 11 at 11:35
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - Westpig
>>.....should have been properly thought out for bikes.
>>

...and...they don't strap them down. I stood there holding mine as it was swaying so badly and they'd told me to put it on the side stand. I thought it was going to tip over.
 The Eurotunnel and your wheels. - ....
Centre-stand is the way to go if you've got one otherwise no pee break. Disappear for one and you'll come back to an expensive heap of plastic and strap on luggage.
Latest Forum Posts