Motoring Discussion > Dog ramp Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 17

Dog ramp - Zero
First a little background. Fifi. 12 years old. About 10 years ago before she joined our family, she was run over and was nearly put down. Badly injured right leg and foot. De-gloved from foot to elbow, wrist and toe joints broken and smashed. Much skeletal surgery and skin grafts later (£5k in 2001 prices) she was able to walk albeit with a fused wrist, a very hairy front leg (hair from her back!) and a strange gait. Despite this she has been very very active for years, kept very light (under 20kilos) but arthritis was a dead cert in her later years.

Over the weekend she injured the foot, no idea how, but probably badly stubbed, twisted or snagged a toe joint that had fused with arthritis that has suddenly ballooned and inflamed. Waiting to see how much the anesthesia, xrays and drugs will cost no change from 150 quid no doubt.

And now to the point of the tale. The Lancer was chosen for its low boot floor for this very reason, and its done its job for a while, but landing onto hard concrete is out. I am gonna have to fix up a dog ramp. A quick google reveals this to be the fleece the customer centre of the universe, not only here but in the states. Starting at 70 quid!

So its off with pencil, paper, tape measure, some timber and use the power tool time.
 Dog ramp - Fenlander
Of course you could make any custom thing from timber but what about starting with a section of plastic child's slide sawn off an old one in the local tip. Not much trouble to put a timber rail at the top to hook onto boot floor... some non'slip adhesive pads for grip etc etc.
 Dog ramp - Zero
Now there is a man of great vision! excelent idea.
 Dog ramp - Skoda
If you carry a toolbox about in the boot, notches cut out the runners / rails under the ramp (if your design needs them) mean the ramp can sit on top of the toolbox and it supports any load instead of putting it all on the bumper and stops the bottoms of the ramp slipping on wet slippy surfaces.

Runners the same width as the toolbox and you've a handy storage place for the toolbox on top of the ramp when folded away in the boot.

Dog ramp - Alanovich
I think I'd just lift the dog in and out.
 Dog ramp - Dog
Thre's one here coming up in 5 days AND it's in Surrey ~

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Ramp-/320722816341?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item4aac91cd55
 Dog ramp - Fenlander
Ohh... just looked at ebay. I thought they were going to be £100+ after your comment Zero. Looking at completed listings and they quite often go for £10-£20 (folding type)... not really worth making one to save that.
 Dog ramp - Zero
You know, I never considered ebay. Nice work chaps.
 Dog ramp - VxFan
>> Thre's one here coming up in 5 days AND it's in Surrey ~

"Excellent condition, never been used, only once tried at home and therfore has a few dog scratch marks on the ramp."

never been used
only once tried at home
has a few dog scratch marks on the ramp

So it has been used then. False advertising I'd say.
 Dog ramp - Zero
>> I think I'd just lift the dog in and out.

After its just come out of the local mill pond? A wet dog carries about 100 litres of water in its fur, all of which goes over you.
 Dog ramp - Alanovich
Ah. Mine doesn't do water.
 Dog ramp - Old Navy
>> After its just come out of the local mill pond? A wet dog carries about
>> 100 litres of water in its fur, all of which goes over you.
>>

And you let it in your car? Get a pick up truck and a cage.
 Dog ramp - Zero
>Waiting to see how much the anesthesia, xrays and drugs will cost no change from 150 quid no doubt.

Hmm no change from 398 quid!
 Dog ramp - Dog
>> no change from 398 quid!<<

Jesus wept!
 Dog ramp - CGNorwich
Speaking to my butcher this morning. Just got his labrador dog back from the vet after an operation on its leg - £1,700.

Hope that makes the £398 seem cheap Zero
 Dog ramp - Zero

>> Hope that makes the £398 seem cheap Zero

Strangely, No.
 Dog ramp - Dutchie
I know nothing about dog ramps but nice to read a story about people who care about their pets.

Hope the dog is in reasonable health soon Zero.
 Dog ramp - Londoner
Look at it this way - I paid more than that to have my old car serviced.
That was only a car.

You on the other hand, are spending the money on a member of the family.
Very Well done!

From Zero to Hero.
Latest Forum Posts