Motoring Discussion > Insurance SORN. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 6

Insurance SORN. - Ted

I know we had a discussion about this a few months ago but something has cropped up which I'm a little concerned about.

I'm putting my new car on the road on Friday, and to this end, I've transferred the insurance from the old one as from noon on the day.
So, I need to declare SORN and send the tax disc back with the declaration.....fair enough, that's what I intended to do, taking the old car off the road at the same time.

But, I have applied for a retention of the old car's number, to be put on the new one later.

Reading through the instructions given with form V317, I noticed this ' Do not apply for a refund of the vehicle tax either before or while we are considering your application '

That means I can't declare SORN and as the old car will still be taxed but not insured, then I will be breaking the law and subject to a postal fine....even though the car will be well off the road. It seems to me that some aspects of this new regulation have not been properly considered...like taking the car off the road but wanting to keep any remaininmg tax to make it easier to sell, a formerly lawful and sensible action now criminalised.

I'm going to call in at the DVLA tomorrow and suss out the situation.
Any thoughts ?

Ted
 Insurance SORN. - Fullchat
Presumably you can declare SORN on line but you have to post your Tax Disc to DVLA for a refund. Declare it SORN'd to cover the lack of insurance and when you have finished transfering the plate weigh in the Tax Disc.

You will still have paid the Road Tax Duty until the end of the month anyway even if you send it off straight away for a refund.
 Insurance SORN. - Ted

Thanks FC, the tax disc runs 'til end of December. So I don't have a renewal with the reference no.
Can you do an on-line SORN without it ? If so, I'll give it a spin.

One point is that I don't want a refund, it's just a matter of declaring SORN.

The tax disc is a disabled one....free. I'll see what they say tomorrow.

Ted
 Insurance SORN. - Fullchat
I don't see why not Ted as that's the point of the exercise. You wish to take your car/bike off the road well before the tax runs out for whatever reason. You may be surprised in that the form you fill in will give a choice, insurance expiry being one of them.
I've never SORN'd a vehicle so am only making an uneducated guess.
 Insurance SORN. - teabelly
Will your insurance company both cars on a temporary basis while you sort out the paperwork? Many often do.

I'd talk to the DVLA and ask them what you are supposed to do in this situation. Continuous insurance and registration is all very well but there are situations that make it a problem to comply with all requirements and all their other rules. You have found one it seems!
 Insurance SORN. - Ted

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the on-line SORN page last thing last night and there is a facility for SORNing without the long number.

They want the reg no and document reference no. off the V5C. Fortunately that was still on the table here waiting to be posted so I opened the envelope and wrote it down.

I'll do as FC suggests...Sorn it on-line on Friday and hang onto the disc. That action doesn't seem to be punishable and I can say I've posted it if anyone kicks off.

I don't think this new regulation will bother the 'no insurance brigade ' one bit. It's just another way of making money by trawling through computer record and catching folk who are away on holiday or in hospital or just forgetful.

I suspect we'll see a few more laws like this as the government tries to claw as much as it can from us...the poor public !

Rant over.

Ted
 Insurance SORN. - madf
"I don't think this new regulation will bother the 'no insurance brigade"

Hmm I disagree.

All the police have to do now is list all cars without insurancew and not SORNED.

adn seize them: no questions asked, no excuses, nothing.

So that's 1,000,000 cars to be seized in the next 12 months...?

Hmm thought not.

Most of Newcastle# will stop if implemented properly.

# chosen at random.. choose a city of your choice...
Latest Forum Posts