Motoring Discussion > Online insurance quote Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 13

Online insurance quote - L'escargot
If I get an online insurance quote, will I be liable to receive loads of unsolicited mail/emails?
 Online insurance quote - Zero
Yes, unless you use slightly false details.

Try snail@shell.com as a false trail.

You cant of course leave much of a false trail for royal mail as you need the correct postcode for an accurate quote, and the system checks for fake postal addresses. (unlike emails)
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 7 Jul 11 at 08:53
 Online insurance quote - madf
If careful and check, there are boxes to tick/untick to prevent unwanted mail.

I always use online websites for insurance.. No car insurance mail in 10 years.. (House insurance is a different thing)
>> If careful and check, there are boxes to tick/untick to prevent unwanted mail.

Only from other affiliated companies, you will see in the small print in many, that by asking for a quote you agree to a mail from that company.
 Online insurance quote - VxFan
>> You cant of course leave much of a false trail for royal mail as you
>> need the correct postcode for an accurate quote, and the system checks for fake postal
>> addresses. (unlike emails)

Use a false name, and someone else's number a few doors down the road who has the same P/C as you ;o)
They get upset at tons of stuff through the door.
 Online insurance quote - Fenlander
We first used the online comparison sites last year and the level of promotional mails has been acceptable given the benefit it gave us of knowing just what we should be paying.
 Online insurance quote - Bromptonaut
You don't need to go online to generate a blizzard of junk mail. I still get loads of stuff at renewal time from companies who gave telephone quotes well before 2008.
 Online insurance quote - Tigger
We always get a spike in unsolicited calls after getting insurance quotes, even if I tick all the confidentiality boxes.
>> They get upset at tons of stuff through the door.

Doesn't matter, as long as they get it and not you ;o)
>> >> They get upset at tons of stuff through the door.
>>
>> Doesn't matter, as long as they get it and not you ;o)

Neighbours have shotguns round your way.
>> Neighbours have shotguns round your way.

Yes, but they couldn't hit a barn door, even if they were stood in front of it.
 Online insurance quote - Iffy
I use GoCompare and tick the 'no publicity' boxes on the insurance company websites.

No problems with junk mail or calls, although the insurers I am with write occasionally with offers, which doesn't bother me.

I think it's reasonable for a company to write to its existing customers.

Online insurance quote - Bill Payer
We started to get servicing offers for our SEAT from the local VW dealer - apparently they get the info from car insurance quotes.
Latest Forum Posts