Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 8

Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! - Bigtee
Took Vectra in today for a air con problem not cool at all, 1hr later the phone rang it's the condensor it's cracked whoop hoo no charge for that as it's £340.00 fitted.

Just paid re gas and checked part fitted, while there enquired about a service and mot, they can do a full service from £95-120.00 on cars over 3yrs mine will just be within but said he'd do it for that & mot can do cheaper if i haggle he said when i have both done!!

It seems buisness is poor they were so polite and couldn't do enough for there customers today even supply coffee, so some good deals to be had it seems.

Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! - VxFan
Have you applied for your free Masterfit Service card?

It will entitle you to ½ price MOT's at participating garages,

as well as a discount on servicing and parts.
Vehicle age  2-3yrs  4-7yrs  8yrs and older 
Discount 15% 20% 25%

tinyurl.com/3t4x2wb

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 Jul 11 at 18:58
 Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! - Bigtee
Have you applied for your free Masterfit Service card?

No i didn't but i have now or in 4-6 weeks. Thanks Dave.
I think mine took less than 4 to 6 weeks to arrive.
 Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! - Bill Payer
>> a full service from £95-120.00 on cars over 3yrs mine
>>
I bet "full service" is an oil and filter change.

Might not be important to you, but many manufacturer dealers won't stamp the service book on the cheap deals.
 Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! - Victorbox
>> >> a full service from £95-120.00 on cars over 3yrs mine
>> >>
>> I bet "full service" is an oil and filter change.
>>
>> Might not be important to you, but many manufacturer dealers won't stamp the service book
>> on the cheap deals.

No - it's the usual service with a sliding scale of % discounts the older the vehicle gets. So normal stamp in book. Good business for them as they know much over 4 years and owners start using non-VX garages. Nice bar-coded thingy for your keyring as well if you can't be bothered to keep credit card sized discount card. Just like Tesco!
 Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! - DP
This is good business sense. Volvo franchised dealers do something similar, although I can't remember what the discounts are.

Even with the considerable overheads involved in running a service department, there's enough margin on servicing (particularly labour) that they can significantly reduce the rate and still turn a profit. If it's on a job they would otherwise not have got, and they're not turning away higher margin business to do it, it's a no brainer.

If I didn't have my friendly VW tech mate doing the work, I would happily pay a franchised dealer £120, even on one of my old jalopies. Unfortunately, the going rate for a major is more like 3x that.
 Vauxhall garages getting cheaper!! - Chas

>> Even with the considerable overheads involved in running a service department, there's enough margin on servicing (particularly labour) that they can significantly reduce the rate and still turn a profit.

Dealer service department target profit margin is around 65-70% in other words trebling the labour cost prices. Eg labour cost £20, sell at £65 = 69.2% So there's plenty of fat on labour rates to trim off.

>> Nice bar-coded thingy for your keyring as well ....

That digs into your leg if you keep the keys in your trouser pocket, as does the Tesco clubcard keyring.

I ended up attaching my Tesco one to a full sized card. Confuses most till operatives at first though, but once explained why I did it, they then think it's a good idea.

At least with Vauxhall they send you both sizes of card and you can use whichever one suits you best.
Latest Forum Posts