Motoring Discussion > Telepeage for UK motorists Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 26

Telepeage for UK motorists - PR
Apologies if this has been posted before but SANEF have now a dedicated UK team in Harrogate, so you can get a telepeage tag, and pay from your UK account...

www.saneftolling.co.uk/

There is a few fees to note, there is a set up fee (10e) and an annual admin fee (6e), along with a 20e security deposit (refundable).

There is also a fee of 5e per calendar month when you use the thing, upto a max of 10e per year.

The exchange rate is the commercial rate minus a small % (around 2).

All in all for what I use I think I will stick to my Nationwide credit card...
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Aug 14 at 22:51
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - Avant
Telepeage. The mind boggles. So we can go to the loo by remote control from our cars without having to stop at a service area? Great idea. :)
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 9 Jul 11 at 12:35
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - FocalPoint
[Pedagogue mode on.]

The website is also accessible from www.noq4gb.co.uk (Geddit?)

A piece of information: on the FQ page, there is much reference to TVA and only one explanation of it, tucked away in the middle of the page. In France, TVA is an acronym for Taxe sur la Valeur Ajoutée, meaning Value Added Tax (VAT).

[Pedagogue mode off.]
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - Arctophile
>> A piece of information: on the FQ page, there is much reference to TVA and
>> only one explanation of it, tucked away in the middle of the page. In France,
>> TVA is an acronym for Taxe sur la Valeur Ajoutée, meaning Value Added Tax (VAT).

Interestingly the example prices use the French rate of VAT (19.6%).

Is this correct when dealing with a British limited company?
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - NeilS
Last year I struggled through the sanef.fr website and was well surprised to see it arrive in the post a few days later. I paid 20 euros deposit and pay 2 euros every month I use it. Takes all the stress out of the peage especially if you're travelling solo.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - Bromptonaut
Is this any good for vehicles over 1.8m?

Berlingo plus roofbox is 2.25. Too high for the auto tolls but still charged as Classe 1 after queuing for an attended booth.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - Runfer D'Hills
My Westfield fitted under the French toll barriers...Of course I never did that. Perish the very thought.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - Boxsterboy
>> Is this any good for vehicles over 1.8m?
>>

They accept 'T' widgets at other lanes, but you have to queue with the plebs. The 'T' only queue has the 1.8m height restriction.

They should introduce the some sort of restriction at the Dartford Tunnel - I see quite a few vans, motorhomes, etc. in the car-only lanes there.
Been using ours since 2011 so this must have been its fourth major outing. First time with caravan and for first time we had a problem

It worked fine with 'van on way down and home bound on short tolled section S of Bordeeaux but once or twice we've got very close to barrier before it bips and we can go.

Last Wednesday, after a short section Saumur area the barrier failed to rise for us. We actually nudged it with car which set a wah-wah alarm off. The 'gare de peage' was completely automated with no human presence and of course wee quickly had an impatient queue behind!!. Message on display suggested kit could not assess category of vehicle.

Fortunately at second attempt with 'Secours' button we were answered by a lady who responded to my hesitant French in English and after scanning the bar code on the token we were on our way.

Pretty stressful ten minutes though!!

Worked fine again afterwards so can only assume kit on one barrier was faulty and failed to decide if we were Cat 1 or (as we should be with 'van) Cat2.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 12 Aug 14 at 17:58
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - Alanovich
I was slightly miffed this year when I realised we couldn't go through the reserved telepeage gates with bikes on the roof due to the height restriction. I didn't even know if the other gates were equipped with telepeage, turns out they are so that's OK. Also worth noting in these circumstances that, at manned booths, you need to tell the operative that you're telepeage equipped and they turn the sensor on. If you cruise past them the barrier doesn't open and they start shouting. Might have done this the first time............

In reality we were lucky and it wasn't a problem, as the only long queue we experienced was crossing the Pont de Normandie on the way home, and when you're queuing with everyone else on a two lane bridge there's no way of nipping past everyone else to the reserved gates anyway.
The height restriction thing is not consistent. Some of the reserved lanes are height restricted but others, including those with the 30kph facility are usable by HGV size vehicles. These are usually on the right hand side with car only lanes to left.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - IJWS14
>> Interestingly the example prices use the French rate of VAT (19.6%).
>>
>> Is this correct when dealing with a British limited company?
>>

Isn't VAT/TVA charged based on where the service is performed?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Aug 14 at 22:50
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - WillDeBeest
Got one too, with a discount on the setup fee through Eurotunnel and our Le Shuttle booking (which was itself heavily discounted through Tesco.)

Had to scratch head a bit in fitting it. Instructions say to stick it to the dotted area of glass 'behind' (actually in front of, of course) the mirror. The LEC has the dots, but the area is completely occupied with the sensor box for the lights and wipers.

So I dug about on the MB owners' sites and found that the dots are a convention among car makers to indicate an area free of any metallized screening that might block the signal to the tag. MB windscreens have no such screening anyway, so anywhere near the centreline of the car will do, apparently. Owners of similar cars to mine claim to have made it work.

I'll find out tomorrow.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - Dulwich Estate
Take a look at Alis for an autoroute doofer.

www.alis-sa.com/gb/offres/offresLibert.php

It works on ALL autoroutes not just the A28. Using the A28 gets you the discount.

Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 13 Aug 14 at 16:06
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - sherlock47
Best advice is to get one from the supplier who is local to wherever you are going to use it most. When it stops working, (not if), it is an easy swap out at a local office. The SANEF office at Boulogne is nearly always closed - lunch, vacance exceptional, short working hours.... In 3 years, passing at random times probably 8x a year I never found it open! Hence I now have a DaVinci one that I swapped out this morning after it expired after 4 years.

If you are driving without a passenger in a rhd car, or at peak times they are invaluable.
The OP links to the UK ofice of SANEF which seems easiest for UK residents
I just take cash. Prehistoric habit I know. Works though. Even if travelling alone in a RHD I just get out and walk round. Irritates the French but that is in some ways an added bonus.

;-)
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - sherlock47
>> I just take cash. Prehistoric habit I know. Works though. Even if travelling alone in
>> a RHD I just get out and walk round. Irritates the French but that is
>> in some ways an added bonus.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Does not work well in the 30k lane though :)
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - CGNorwich

"If you are driving without a passenger in a rhd car, or at peak times they are invaluable."

Surely opening the door, getting out and walking slowly round the car to insert your credit card in the machine and slowly returning whilst giving a wave to the driver of the next car and pointing out your GB plate is one of the joys of continental motoring.
Indeed. Ma sange et dan l'arbre.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - sooty123
say again over.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - WillDeBeest
Pleased to say it worked brilliantly. SANEF token but opened the 30km/h gates there and on APRR and Vinci motorways too. Great feeling to glide past that queue, especially on a busy Saturday like today.

Fantastic drive up into the hills in Gard too - LEC fully laden and doing exactly what we bought it for - but that's a story for another day.
 Telepeage for UK motorirsts - jc2
Had an old large French-issued one for years-worked excellently-well worth it's while when I passed about a mile of tailback on an autoroute near Rouen.Now got a small UK issued one but not used it yet.
jc2, how did you cruise past a mile's queue? Toll plazas are not a mile long generally. I've found this to be the only fly in the ointment of having a tag, you have to queue with everyone else to get to the plaza in the first place on really heavy days. Some sections I've been on have very narrow toll plazas, only 4 gates or so, and the two-lane autoroute leading to it can be jammed for miles and miles, sometimes I have waited several hours.
On Ascension Thursday a couple of years ago.The tolls just outside Rouen on the autoroute from Paris-the plaza there has at least eight toll booths for cash and card and two on the extreme left for telepeage.The autoroute approaching the plaza is three lanes but at least the French were courteous enough leave the outer lane empty to get to the telepeage unlike the telepeage at Boulogne where the road tends to be blocked completely but then it is only two lanes.
Interesting observations. Last summer, after a 2 and a half hour queue, on a two-lane autoroute, to a toll plaza near Rouen, motorists without telepeage tags were deliberately queuing through the plaza in the lanes for the telepeage gates and switching to the right at the last minute. These were all French reg cars, they knew what they were doing. i.e. Joining a faster moving queue and pushing in to the correct queue late on, holding up the genuine telepeage users quite selfishly and unnecessarily.
I would not travel on Ascension Thursday again-there were hold-ups everywhere even on local roads(bootfairs)-this autoroute is of course the main access from Paris to the Atlantic coast.I do most of my travelling in France in May and September,if I can-never in their peak holiday periods,if I can avoid them.
Latest Forum Posts