Motoring Discussion > Buying from eBay Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Citroënian Replies: 18

Buying from eBay - Citroënian
Evening all

I've found a car that I'm interested in and will probably buy on eBay - intention is to inspect on collection.

Can anyone please advise me on the best way to go about buying a car from eBay; Looks like a private seller.

I won't pay until I've seen the car is what I expect it to be, should I pay cash or PayPal - what pitfalls are there for me?

Thanks
Lee
 Buying from eBay - Focusless
>> I won't pay until I've seen the car is what I expect it to be,

Got to be a bit careful there - assuming you mean after you've pressed the 'buy' button, you can only then not pay the money if it doesn't match the description, and that might not quite be the same as what you expect it to be.

Can you take at look at it before committing to buy?
 Buying from eBay - Zero
yeah, inspect before you bid.
 Buying from eBay - Skoda
The sellers probably going to prefer cash to paypal on account of the fees incurred but common to ask for a deposit via paypal - it weeds out the buyers that are wasting time and not going to buy.

If it's not possible to inspect before bidding (which as above is the fairest way), then maybe phone and ask questions / get more Photos, then all you need to do is check it matches the description given when it comes time to pay, still could leave you in a situation where you have to pay for a car that you don't want, in the case that you take a different view on something the seller sees as minor.

I'd definitely only bid if you're prepared to hand over the cash, and I'd have to see it, test drive or see it driven before I'd be comfortable placing the bid.
 Buying from eBay - madf
No phone conversations: all by email so if any dispute in writing. And all through ebay mail so no dispute about authenticity of emails.

You want to make sure that - IF it is not as described - you have written evidence for ebay...

(At least that is how I would do it)
 Buying from eBay - Tigger
When I sold my motorbike I had nobody come to see it. I described it as fully as I could, put on lots of decent photos and answered all questions honestly. I got a good sale price and the buyer was completely happy. And if he'd found anything material that I'd got wrong I would not have expected him to go through with the sale.

I'd definately ask the questions by email. But if it was any decent amount of money I'd also ring the owner up. I'd also check the MOTs on line, ring the dealer who they say serviced it to make sure they really did, etc.

Ask the specific questions 'when were the photos taken?' Get them off generalities 'good condition for year' and ask them on the phone to walk round the car, describing every scratch, dent etc.
Last edited by: Tigger on Sat 9 Jul 11 at 21:03
 Buying from eBay - Chris White
Hello

I've bought and sold several cars on eBay (including buying my current Saab) and the way that I've always done it is to view the car that you're interested in (as you would do buying any other way) and then get the seller to cancel the eBay listing and pay cash.

The advantage for the seller is that they don't pay any eBay final value fees and no PayPal fees.

Not strictly what eBay want you to do (because they lose out a little) but it's just like a standard deal then with no problems.

Chris.
Thanks for all the advice. The car I was interested in was on an auction that ended Sunday and as it happens I was out of the country and couldn't view the car. I asked a good few questions by email and text and decided in the end that it was decent and decidd to make an offer. Did the hpi on line thing even via eBay.

However, someone who was in the uk saw the car, made and offer and the auction was ended. The buyer actually paid less than I was prepared to, but hey ho.

Have now found and visited another car and once my mechanic friend has looked it over (seems ok to me, but then what do I know) I'll buy the it. It'd take something serious for me not to buy it now, test drove well etc.

Again, thanks to you all for the advice, much appreciated.

Lee
Last edited by: Citroënian on Wed 13 Jul 11 at 01:57
 Buying from eBay - Fenlander
Glad there seems to be a feeling on here you should either look first or be prepared to buy even if it doesn't meet your expectations... noting that is often completely different to meeting the description.

I've sold a lot of higher value collect only items and there is nothing that gets me more on edge than someone who has won the item and never even asked any questions.... yet arrives expecting that to be the time the inspection process starts.

Last occasion was selling a 40yr old boat the other month. Correctly described as exceptional for age and I was happy at the price being around 15% of its current new cost now (near identical model still available).

Winner didn't ask any questions prior to bidding but when he arrived was all over it and started to question the wisdom of trusting something so old on the sea. After five minutes I said he'd best pay the extra £2200 and get a new one, told him to forget it and and started to show him out of the garage.

I knew he'd had a 4hr trip here including half of the way round the M25 at rush hour so thought he might as well learn a valuable lesson... but of course than he just got the cash out and took it.
 Buying from eBay - madf
IF I was selling on ebay a car - in any condition - I would add the rider to the advert that the time to inspect is before you buy.... and make it clear to any prospectuve buyer that unless the description was materially wrong, once they have won it, that's it.

I know those are the rules but there are lots of feckless idiots around. I don't tolerate idiots who mess me around.. Good on you Fenlander for treating your buyer with due indifference. Result!
 Buying from eBay - R.P.
Good point madf, I'll be putting a motorcycle on this weekend if attempts to sell it locally fail. I've come to hate e-bay for anything other than small stuff (just got a spark plug for the strimmer for half the local price) - I have a pile of stuff I want to sell on it, but have become resistant.
 Buying from eBay - 832ark
So much rubbish being posted in this thread. Ebay motors is different from the rest of ebay. There is no obligation to go through with the purchase. By winning the auction you are merely registering a serious interest in purchasing.
 Buying from eBay - Dave_
>> Ebay motors is different from the rest of ebay. There is no obligation to go through with the purchase.
>> By winning the auction you are merely registering a serious interest in purchasing.

You'd better not bid on anything I sell then! Only the Motors classified listings are non-binding; with everything else (including cars for sale in the normal auction format) you are bidding to buy, not to turn up and kick the tyres.

From eBay Help:

"Certain eBay listings involve non-binding bids, such as items listed in Property and eBay Motors classified listings. A non-binding bid isn't a formal contract between the buyer and the seller, but it does represent a buyer's serious interest in buying the item.

In most cases, a bid on eBay is a legally binding contract between the buyer and the seller."
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 14 Jul 11 at 12:02
 Buying from eBay - 832ark
>>You'd better not bid on anything I sell then! Only the Motors classified listings are non->>binding; with everything else (including cars for sale in the normal auction format) you >>are bidding to buy, not to turn up and kick the tyres.

>>From eBay Help:

>>"Certain eBay listings involve non-binding bids, such as items listed in Property and >>eBay Motors classified listings. A non-binding bid isn't a formal contract between the >>buyer and the seller, but it does represent a buyer's serious interest in buying the item.

>>In most cases, a bid on eBay is a legally binding contract between the buyer and the >>seller."

The key words their being 'such as' I suggest you go and read the full ebay user terms, It states that bids/offers on motor vehicles or property are not binding with no mention of classifieds.
 Buying from eBay - Mapmaker
Glad you posted that. I didn't dare at risk of being flamed, but here is the extract.

"For certain categories, particularly motors vehicles and real estate, or bid or offer is a non-binding transaction representing a buyer’s serious expression of interest in buying the seller’s item and does not create a contract for sale between the buyer and the seller. "

pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/user-agreement.html

Buying from eBay - Fenlander
>>>I suggest you go and read the full ebay user terms

Depressing reading and enough to put you off ever using ebay.

Thankfully decent ebayers, both buying and selling, have a sort of moral code (based on the ebay rules) that can make transactions smooth and reliable. If the majority of buyers in the motors section went 100% by the small print get-out clause it would never be worth selling on there. Thankfully most don't so broadly speaking it works well.

As I gave in the example of the reluctant boat buyer above if you are selling decent stuff that will sell easily if relisted better to retain your integrity and tell them to get stuffed the moment the magnifying glass comes out.

BTW funny that the moment I sold the last car on ebay they applied the fee to my account... because it was sold I'd assumed... not just got a looker.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 14 Jul 11 at 13:37
 Buying from eBay - DP
I've had good experiences with vehicle transactions on eBay.

Mondeo mk2 - sold to a Polish chap who turned up the following evening (in the pitch dark) with a bundle of cash, kicked the tyres, started the engine, revved it a couple of times, and drove away. Good feedback left the next day.

ZZR600 - sold to a local-ish chap. Turned up as promised, handed me the agreed sum in cash, took the bike round the block just to make sure all was well, and did the deal minutes later with no quibbling. Was even thoroughly reasonable about the PCN I received a week later from a London council.

My dad bought mum's StreetKa on eBay. Went to look at it as he would any other car, and placed the (winning) bid from the seller's PC. Left cash deposit, and came back next day with the balance. Smooth as you like.

I wouldn't buy any vehicle without looking at it first, but most sellers welcome inspections ahead of bidding. Simply steer clear of those who don't.

Buying from eBay - Ted

Never sold a car on ebay but have bought 2 cheapies...An L reg Astra diesel for my lad and a P reg ZX diesel estate for SiL. Dark gree with a red tailgate...that's how it stayed. £180.

Attempted theft saw off the Astra and head gasket finished the ZX but used them both for a long time.

Sold a Honda Goldwing 1200 Interstate. Bought it for £800. It was nice but I couldn't push it to turn it round at home. Put it up for £3200...had I punter and he lived two miles away.
Came round in a taxi with a brand new helmet and jacket. Looked it over, left a bundle of money on the table and went for a run. Came back in 5 minutes.
Haggled me down to £3K and I've never seen him again ! Nice chap who knew his Wings.

Bought the Silverwing with the cash, still got it. Sold my BMW a week later on Fish4bikes.

Ted
A follow up to this...ended up buying a MX5 Mk2.5 Sport 1.8 which was a great car, also from ebay. A colleague at work bought this from me and (touch wood) it's still running well.

It was sold because I got a Mk3.5 Kendo which is a much more grown up version of the car, albeit not as hairy or as much fun. Still, the climate control and refinement make up for that.

Do I win a prize for longest time for a follow up?!
Latest Forum Posts