Motoring Discussion > Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 12

Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - Badwolf
Hello all,

My Megane has, once again, disgraced itself. Running like a bag of spanners with the engine management light flashing. Enough is now enough. It will be fixed, and sold.

I have seen a Mk I Megane 1.9 dCi on Fleabay - tinyurl.com/6c3naor - which looks like a Bobby dazzler, but I am a little concerned that it will be as troublesome as my Mk II has been.

Any thoughts from those that know?

Cheers.
Mods - if you think this would get more replies in the general Motoring Discussion, please feel free to move it.

Ta!
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - Zero
Your current problem sounds like Coil pack

I dont think thats a DcI. Its too early, and the power is wrong. Its a DtI i think.

Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - Dieselboy
No service history and description of scuffs, scrapes and cracks. Doesn't sound like a Bobby Dazzler to me.

If I had a major fallout with a car, the last thing I'd do would be to go and buy another one, albeit an earlier model.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - spamcan61
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 11 Jul 11 at 14:12
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - Redviper
Personally I’m inclined to agree, Twice bitten with this particular manufacturer.

If you have a common fault, its more than likely to be transferred throughout the whole range, and a earlier model may have a list of other issues that are expensive problems.
>> No service history and description of scuffs, scrapes and cracks. Doesn't sound like a Bobby
>> Dazzler to me.

You know me - if it looks shiny then I'm impressed! :-)

>> If I had a major fallout with a car, the last thing I'd do would
>> be to go and buy another one, albeit an earlier model.

I know, but that's why I wanted to know if the previous model was better in terms of reliability. After all, the only similarity between the two models is the name! And as you know, earlier Renaults were good cars.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - Dave_
The trader a few doors up from me has a Y reg Almera diesel with 12 months' MoT for £995 BW - suit you perfectly except I'm 120 miles away :(
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - WillDeBeest
That's getting to be a long time ago, BW. I presume you want something more modern than a 4. I associate the Mk 1 Megane with contemporary non-models of solidity like the Mk 1 Laguna - you don't see many of either type these days, which suggests that those that survived long enough went for scrappage. There must be Peugeots from that era that would be a better bet.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - DP
The 306 is a much better car than the Megane I. More reliable, better to drive, better built, easier to fix when they do go wrong, and a solid range of engines. Loads around under a grand, £1500 gets you a really nice one.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - Dieselboy
A tidy looking white 306 diesel on an '02' plate for £1095. Currently sat just past the blue and yellow car wash on Southport Road...
>> A tidy looking white 306 diesel on an '02' plate for £1095. Currently sat just
>> past the blue and yellow car wash on Southport Road...

Aye, I've seen it. Trouble is, it's white... Mind you, worth a gander. Ta :-)
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Mk I more reliable than Mk II? - Dave_
Re MkI Meganes - the chap over the road has had a 99/00 V reg one for about a year now, he always revs it hard as he switches it off at night, never services or cleans it (it's still waist-high in black winter grime) and carts about the tools of his bricklayer's trade in the back. It still seems to go alright, maybe they're better if you abuse them.
Latest Forum Posts