Motoring Discussion > And I thought Cambridge was bad Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 20

And I thought Cambridge was bad - Crankcase
There's an uneasy relationship between cyclists and cars in Cambridge, but I've not seen it quite as bad as this event, in London.

Link is to London Evening Standard

tinyurl.com/69kzjkd
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Zero
"You'd think that it would be easy to locate and prosecute. It turns out that the registered keeper of the car was not using the
car that day and is not on the video."

Travellers!
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - zippy
>>>Travellers!

Police probably don't want the same treatment then!

;-)
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Boxsterboy
The cyclists started the aggro by slapping the car as it passed (too) close and shouting at the driver (according ot the BBC report).
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Old Navy
>> The cyclists started the aggro by slapping the car as it passed (too) close and
>> shouting at the driver (according ot the BBC report).
>>

An aggressive cyclist getting his come comeuppance.
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - NortonES2
If the cyclist was being squeezed, slapping the car was more in defense than an aggressive action! I believe close passing is often "punishment" passing, intended to convey a fright to the victim. So, who started the aggro? Strange how drivers see themselves as victims.
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Bromptonaut
>> An aggressive cyclist getting his come comeuppance.

I've a feeling youand I have had this one before ON but I'm happy to repeat.

Cyclists have to be assertive at pinch points. Too many motorists either don't think or don't care about the consequences of 'must get past the cylist'.

This one tinyurl.com/6jms34n is on my daily commute - it's much busier at 09:00 weekdays. .If I don't hold my position well out in the road then I'm going to be ignored and pushed into the left side kerb. And thats just after I've had to be equally assertive to avoid being 'left hooked' by taxis going east into Endsleigh Gardens.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 12 Jul 11 at 20:29
I ride a push bike and I don't get thumped.
I've never been thumped but I've had a few verbals. And London is very different territory to Scotland outwith the Central Belt.
>> And London is very different
>> territory to Scotland.
>>

I know, London is uncivilised.
>> >> And London is very different
>> >> territory to Scotland.
>> >>
>>
>> I know, London is uncivilised.

Hmm, not sure we have had criminal gangs chopping off one another's goolies with chisels in broad daylight in a London Street...
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Runfer D'Hills
Hmm interesting. I drive in and out of central London regularly and indeed most other major British cities. Nigh on 40k miles a year for decades. Never and I mean never have I come close to coming into unplanned contact or conflict with a cyclist despite sharing roadspace with them for years. I think the keyword here is "sharing"...
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Manatee
>> An aggressive cyclist getting his come comeuppance.

I didn't see much excuse for the attack. I would never pass a cyclist or pedestrian close enough for him to bang on the roof anyway, but the people in the car are thugs and not fit to be in charge of a motor vehicle, regardless.

The only thing to be learned from this is never to confront anybody on the road - you cannot possibly know what sort of psychopathic knuckledragger you are dealing with.
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Iffy
I wonder if the cyclist felt more confident of being 'assertive' because he was in the company of other riders.

If someone thumped the CC3, I wouldn't be happy, even if my driving deserved criticism.

There's still no excuse for the driver thumping the cyclist, perhaps he should have kicked his bike - an eye for an eye.

And I thought Cambridge was bad - MD
The Police could sort this if they wanted to. What the hell are we paying our rates (or whatever they are called today) for. Totally unforgivable and the perpetrator should be given time for that attack.

'Great Britain' my eye!
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Armel Coussine
Good traffic driving does involve not crushing, squeezing or threatening cyclists, and I try not to do any of these things, with broad success.

However I have sometimes been yelled at intemperately or had my car thumped by what seemed to me over-assertive cyclists, of whom there are many in London. There are pedestrians and dog walkers like that too, people you wish you had run over once you've seen what they are like. The last two incidents of road rage involving violence were both attacks by cyclists on drivers, both on the same weekend a few months back. I don't blame cyclists as a species, Bromptonaut and others, but the hobby or transport mode does attract a certain type of rigid, wired, sadistic lunatic among the more reasonable categories. Speedos, a tall racing bike and a cruising speed around 35mph are warning signs: those chaps look sporting all right, but only some really are.

I don't like cycling in London and wouldn't do it in the West End nowadays. But round here it's even more lethal, with high tight hedges on fast bendy A roads, HGVs, WVM, me, bucolic mimsers, the lot... nippers simply aren't allowed out on bikes even in the lanes - they would have been even forty years ago - and I wouldn't fancy it myself.
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Fullchat
We dont mess around with cyclists our way.

Its poor footage but you will see a manouvre which hit the local news.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8id8oPJ6Dk&feature=related
good lord, who needs drugs, thats a real psychedelic experience...Man...
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - Snakey
Wow that story is a little microcosm of what the motoring world is like today
- cyclists think they have free reign to do what they like
- motorists think they have free reign to do what they like (but with a raft of laws pointed at them)
- police do nothing

Nothing about this story suprises me, which is a bit depressing.
Ahh, the power of the internet:

road.cc/content/news/38853-breaking-bexley-video-attack-man-arrested

Man has voluntarily attended police station with his solicitor. Bailed to appear before the beak at a later date.
 And I thought Cambridge was bad - henry k
..and also reported by

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14150913
Latest Forum Posts