Motoring Discussion > Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 15

Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - Slightlyfatdirector
Further to my other thread regarding PCP's I wondered if other owners are out there and could comment on their views on this car.

I am looking to get one for Mrs. SFD (she's worth it). Although they start at a bit over £20k it does not take long for the price to rocket when looking at engines / options.

Therefore has anyone experienced the 1.2TFSI engine in this or other A3's? at 105hp it sounds fine but with a roofless car it is probably quite a heavy beast to lug arround with a small (albeit Turbo'sd) engine. What's it like 'off the line' at a roundabout / junction before the turbo kicks in. Currently she drives a 2005 1.5 Almera, so similar power, but probably quite a bit lighter. That car is spritly enough for the journeys she does.

The next Audi petrol engine up is the 1.8TFSI (we don't need a diesel, too low annual milege for her to justify), which shoots up to 160hp, but so does the price by £3k.

Any comments from owners welcomed.

We tried the dealer demo car but it was a 2.0TFSI auto. I have asked the dealer if we can try a 1.2TFSI manual in another A3 but they have none and are struggling to get one in. They offered a go in an A1 with that engine and then the older 1.6 in an A3, but if we are going to spend £20-25K we would want to try the real macoy so I am holding out for the real thing.

We will probably go for the Sport, not for the stiffer suspension, but the better kit, although it stocks near £2k onto the price.

Any other comments about experience with this car appreciated. A certain other site mentions a rather flimsy roof splitting over time, but little else.

Thanks in advance!
 Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - PeterS
I don't have any experience of the A3 cabriolet, but we do have an A3 hatch (1.6 petrol) and an A4 cabriolet (2.0T), and I've had a few A3 1.4T courtesy cars

First question would be why the jump from the 1.2T to the 1.8T - isn't there a 1.4T cabriolet? Bit cynical of Audi if not IMO!!

With respect to the 105PS 1.2T, in terms of power that's a match for our 1.6, but I imagine the 1.2T has more torque. The 1.6 is definitely no ball of power; it's fine from a standstill, but lacks mid range urge. It'll go fast enough if you wind it up. I'd expect that the 1.2T is better in the mid-range; certainly the 1.4T courtesy cars were absolutely fine and, IIRC, they were 125PS. Nice cars in fact. They had a 6 speed 'box (5 in our 1.6) - is the 1.2T a 5 or 6 speed I wonder?

I agree with you though, I'd definitely want to drive one (or something similar) first.

Cabriolet wise, myA4 is three and a half years old, and absolutely no problems with the roof at all. It is beginning to show signs of wear where it creases when folded, but it's never leaked and works on the move (up to 25km/h IIRC). Worth spec'ing the wind deflector if its not standard - makes it possible to use the car with the roof down far more often, and at higher speeds :-)

Peter
 Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - rtj70
>> isn't there a 1.4T cabriolet

No. You'd have thought there would be because the engine is in other A3s.
 Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - Slightlyfatdirector
They seem to have thrown every VAG group engine at this car since it was launched, but not the 1.4TFSI yet.

Interestingly I just remembered the new Golf convertible (or is it cabriolet - who knows the difference!?) is coming soon.

A quick look on the VW website shows that it is clearly the same car with a few styling tweaks and is better kitted out with lots of stuff as standard, that are expensive options on the Audi and are included in the Golf. Really looks nice without the funny Audi roll-over hoops too.

The problem is my wife has always had a thing for Audi's, but we have never been in a position to afford one. My wife has been through a really tough time healthwise over the last 12 months and so I want to give her something special that she would love, rather than persuade her to go down the more sensible route. There are enough compromises in life as we have learnt, without throwing another one in here. But I will show here in case it floats her boat so to speak.
 Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - ....
>> My wife has been through a really
>> tough time healthwise over the last 12 months and so I want to give her
>> something special that she would love, rather than persuade her to go down the more
>> sensible route.
>>
None of my business Sfd but is a car the way to go ? Is it something your good lady has expressed an interest in, or is there something else she would prefer to blow £20+k on ?

Just a thought.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 14 Jul 11 at 16:32
 Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - Iffy
Worth checking the relative weights if you drive A3s with similar engines.

My CC3 weighs a lot more than the hatch, the A3 has a fabric roof, but it will have extra steel to brace the floorpan.

You say you don't need a diesel, but in CC3 terms the 2.0 diesel is much more drivable and faster than the 2.0 petrol.

I think the extra pulling power of a diesel suits the extra weight better than the pulling characteristics of a petrol engine.

Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - PeterS
>> I think the extra pulling power of a diesel suits the extra weight better than
>> the pulling characteristics of a petrol engine.

Ordinarily I'd agree Iffy, but all of the A3 petrol engines are turbocharged so have much more low down 'pull', making them more diesel like in that respect I think. And in a convertible, a petrol engine will be quieter... ;-)

Peter
 Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - brettmick
Having suggested previously that my 2.0T is a bit of a pocket rocket I think the key question is "what do you want the car for?". I wanted the 1.8T but there were none around. the 1.2 is too slow for me but actually a cabriolet is not about speed but cruising. If you aren't the type to blast down a country lane, cut the racing line and slam out of a sharp left hander from time to time then it is likely that the 1.2 is OK.

The 1.2T is either available (or soon will) in the Passat. Now that will be a bit slow to accelerate.
How will you know when Rattolo is in front of you in his Panda?
Speaking of which where is the man?
Didn't he mention camping recently? But I was away again until last Wednesday so not read all post. Got an email off him on the 3rd of July.
Well, that's torn it.

Looked at the VW website, thought about waiting until new Golf cabrio starts being discounted, then thought "Eos" and found a good one.

1/2 the price of a new Audi, has the 2.0 TFSI 200hp motor and all the goodies. Extra airbags for safety, solid roof for winter (even has a tilt/slide sunroof in a folding metal roof!!)

Conscious of the leaky roof situation, so will get a thorough checking over first, but might have us persuaded. A 2008 model, so hopefully free of such gremlins.

Will then go for an new Audi in a year or two when finances more condusive.

Am I mad, or is this a good plan?
>>>>>>>>None of my business Sfd but is a car the way to go ? Is it something your good lady has expressed an interest in, or is there something else she would prefer to blow £20+k on ?

Just a thought>>>>>>

Fair comment gmac. We have a nice house, beautiful daughter, good job for me and nothing that needs urgent attention. We also have debt, so it ain't all rosy, but income copes with it OK (and I am grateful for that). Neither of us have a desire to travel the world and so I looked for what might please her.

I am more the 'car person' than she is to be fair, so partly I prefer to have something nicer on the drive, and and a quack would probably say I am 'projecting' my needs / desires onto her. They would probably be right!

A sensible person would stick with the Almera and clear debt where possible, but the last year has made me realise that 'sensible' is not always the way.

I thought she would be 100% Audi, but when I showed her the Eos she was happier regarding the financial side of things.

I won't use the Eos. I have a company car and 21 year old Jag XJ-S convertible (mid-life crisis) that fulfills my adventurous side (weather permitting).

This is something fun and completely unjustifible for her.

I just count my blessings she is still here and that we can enjoy a few nice things whilst we are fortunate enough to do so. You never know what's round the corner.......
>> but the last year has made me realise that 'sensible' is not always the way

Which is why I'd go for living life and maybe try travelling more. That would be me. We love Tuscany and some quiet bits of Greek islands. I have a new car on order for October but our other car is a 10 year old FIAT. Does the job and moves probably less than 1000 miles per year so in no rush to replace.

Our plan is to try saving for somewhere overseas.... still not saving enough and the mortgage is gone. But I keep ending up paying for everything. We're quite frugal really.
>> Fair comment gmac.
>>
Good Luck ! To you both whatever you settle on. I wish you both many happy years together.
 Audi A3 cabrio - Audi A3 Cabrio - Any owners views welcomed - Avant
Car buying isn't always logical - thank goodness! Great idea to get her a new car to celebrate what we all hope is her permanent recovery.

If she'll be the only driver, make sure she has a good test drive in the Eos or whatever else she likes the look of. My wife is on her second Mini Cooper convertible (and fourth Mini) and she loves it. Might be worth a look, as would a secondhand A3 if you're worried about the steel roof leaking.
Latest Forum Posts