Motoring Discussion > Don't see many of those Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 21

Don't see many of those - WillDeBeest
I passed a new Jaguar XJ the other day, and it occurred to me that, despite living in the oh-so-affluent Southeast, I haven't seen very many. It's had time to get established but still I really think I see more Aston Martins than new XJs. The XF seems to have been a huge hit, and the XJ got strong reviews for its boldness, so is it proving too bold for its target clientele?

Newer still, but more affordable, I've hardly seen a new C-Max or Focus either. Am I just not noticing them, or has the new model been a slow starter now that the rental fleets don't automatically buy Fords as they once did? Or is it another sign of squeezed consumers keeping their wallets closed?

Anyone else have examples of models they'd expect to see more of, or care to speculate on reasons?
 Don't see many of those - Armel Coussine
I am disappointed not to have seen more rows of Königseggs snorting and pawing the ground at traffic lights in preparation for a drag race to rubber the road in nicely for lesser jalopies.

Where are they all? It's not as if they were particularly expensive, provided purchasers avoid the options list.

One can only conclude that everyone's absolutely broke and just putting a brave face on it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 14 Jul 11 at 15:02
I've remembered the other example I meant to mention: the Seat Exeo. Maybe I see more in the distance than I realize, and just think they're A4s, but seeing one close to still comes as a surprise.

Odd in a way, because in a world where it's commonplace to point out that 'an S40 is really a Focus', the Exeo really is an Audi - admittedly a ten-year-old one. Yet it seems not to have caught on. It looks good to me, and its A4 parent was likeable enough, so what puts people off? Can it really be just the badge?
 Don't see many of those - Stuu
I saw an Exeo the other day in a lay-by, nice lookin motor that.

Dont see many XJs around here but an awful lot of XFs about and RR Sports, cant move for the darned things along with X5s.

I saw a Mazda 6 saloon today, must have been 5 years old or so, I swear I thought it was a Chevvy it was sooo bland, only grille badge cleared it up.

Dont see many Audi 4x4s around here, maybe they arent clicking with the customers like BMs and Mercs do, although that said, the Q7 ive cleaned was mighty nice inside, much nicer than an X5 which was like sticking your head in a coal bucket ( alu trimmed of course ).

Don't see many of those - spamcan61
Seen a grand total of two new XJs, one outside Bournemouth Flying Club and one locally. Not noticed many new Focus, apart from a bright red one parked next to a Lamboghini Gallardo in the local pub car park, unsurprisingly it was the latter that caught my attention first, although the Focus looked really good in Ferrari style red.
 Don't see many of those - ....
I see loads of the new Focus everyday.

Don't like the five door hatch, looks a bit heavy at the rear and I don't know what's going on with that fuel flap.
The estate is a fine looking machine (for an estate) as is the four door saloon but you're not getting that in the UK - they both have a 'normal' fuel flap.

The saloon looks almost as big as a Mondeo.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 14 Jul 11 at 16:26
 Don't see many of those - hjd
I have a new C max, in bright red, and I have seen very few others on the road. I think I have only ever seen 5 others.
 Don't see many of those - rtj70
I think they made a mess of the rear lights and boot badge on the EXEO. I could have had one and saved a packet compared to the Passat I ordered.

EXEO is also short on rear legroom - like the A4 it really is.
 Don't see many of those - Runfer D'Hills
Anyone seen one of those VW "Anoraks" yet? Bet they're easy to parka...

I'll um..
 Don't see many of those - Dog
I don't see many cars around here at all.

:o}
 Don't see many of those - rtj70
>> I'll um..

Get your Amorak?
 Don't see many of those - franfran
Holden sold both the Holden Astra and the Holden Vectra and although the Astra was Holden's second best selling car after the Commodore (the Astra has to be a good car - I have one....) the Vectra never really caught on and was dropped after a few years.
 Don't see many of those - idle_chatterer
Plenty of XJs in HK where they list at over GBP100K, no Seats or Skodas though - VW is a down market marque here (where branding is everything).

As to the Exeo, I've warmed to them, as the former driver of an A4 B7 Avant I'd comment that the underpinnings felt dated in 2007 let alone 2011 (although beautifully made) and it is very cramped in the back if you habitually carry passengers.

Looking on Autotrader, new-ish second hand Exeos are pretty cheap given their equipment and pedigree.
 Don't see many of those - MPZ
With new mainstream models like the Focus it always seems to me that at first you wonder where they all are, then in 12 months time the roads seem to be full of 1 year old models.

Maybe they are all sitting in fields waiting to be sold as pre reg bargains.

MPZ
 Don't see many of those - Badwolf
I've seen loads of new Focii round my way. Quite a few XJs, too. There's one that's parked outside the Yates's Wine Lodge in Preston all day every day.
 Don't see many of those - Harleyman
>> Anyone seen one of those VW "Anoraks" yet?

Given that most Germans speak reasonable English, and VW being a global brand, they do pick some turkeys for model names don't they?

"Anorak", Bora..... and if you say it with the right German accent, "Trainspotter"!

Not forgetting the US-only "Rabbit".

Good job they're reliable. ;-)
 Don't see many of those - retgwte
everyone round here is driving masserati
 Don't see many of those - TeeCee
Hmm, saw a new XJ the other day.
I think the reason they're unusual is that the back end looks like someone's taken an XF and bolted a steamer trunk onto it.

Damn the septics and a) their insistance that all executive cars take two golf bags in the boot and b) their weird belief that the size of one's golf bag is directly proportional to the size of one's willy.
If one persists in putting one's willy in the boot, TC, it soon will go septic.
 Don't see many of those - Runfer D'Hills
Boots are always too small. That's why estates are better. Well, I find anyway...
I wonder if that's why my saloon has a hatch in the middle of the back seat.
 Don't see many of those - Old Navy
I prefer to put my skis on the roof.
Latest Forum Posts