Motoring Discussion > Driving in Jersey Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 2

Driving in Jersey - Cliff Pope
I've just returned from a car-less holiday in Jersey, with lots of bussing and walking.

It was interesting to observe the different driving standards. The roads are mostly narrow, and the main roads have long stretches where there is only just room for two buses to pass. Yet everyone drives quite briskly, and by UK standards to a much higher standard.
Even men in caps got a move on, knew how to reverse competently, and all were very good at judging spaces.
The bus drivers pass walls and other vehicles at up to 40 mph with inches to spare, and confidently manouevre into any available opening in order to pass.

Yet at the same time everyone is very polite. Drivers readily allow pedestrians to cross, drivers let buses out, but also bus drivers are courteous to other drivers too.

Less haste, more speed really seems to work. The only really stupid acts I saw were by people in UK registered cars.
If only a comparable house to ours didn't cost about £5m I'd be tempted to move there.
 Driving in Jersey - Zero
Got friends who are Jersey Nationals, been there many times,

There are two housing markets. One is for locals - There is state housing as well. . You also need to satisfy certain monetary requirements to be allowed to buy if you are a non Jersey national.

From what they tell me, you really wouldn't want to live there, unless you are a gazzilionaire!
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 12:00
 Driving in Jersey - Fursty Ferret
Visited Alderney once and was made to feel distinctly unwelcome. Would have nothing further to do with the Channel Islands if I had my way; should have let the Germans keep them.
Latest Forum Posts