Motoring Discussion > Dog guard or cage? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 59

Dog guard or cage? - Runfer D'Hills
Just got a new pup. He's a 16 week old Sealyham / Lucas cross. Great wee guy. Only been with us for a week but he's coming on nicely. Not fully housetrained yet obviously but he's doing very well. I've not had a dog since my teenage years which weren't yesterday. In those days the dog just sat in the car with everyone else but you know, high visibilty vests, everything banned, thought police and so on...

Anyway, accepting all that, what's the forum's opinion re cage in boot versus dog guard? I've got a rubber boot liner anyway so any little mishaps can be dealt with. So far whenever we/I've needed to take him in the car I've simply put his cage/crate thing in the boot and bungeed it down. Bit of a pain though. Oh and don't worry, I'll not leave him in the car unattended in any event. He was a bit pukey coming back from the breeders ( 40 miles cross country in the dark ) but to be fair he'd never been in a car before. Seems alright now on short journeys at least.

All dog transport suggestions gratefully received...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 13:56
 Dog guard or cage? - -
Cage without a doubt straight away to get used, but lose the plastic tray that most come with, the rugs will slip and slide all over the shop despite using some of that grippy non slip rubber sheeting 'tween rug and tray.

Rug to be cosy on, they travel well, can't get hurt as they can't get thrown far enough in the event of evasive action/panic stop.

Importantly they can't chew the car up either when they get bored or cheesed off cos you nipped into the shop without them.

Nice cheeky looking dog, hope you have lots of fun...Hungarian Visla we got a few months ago has become a wonderful friend, they're called the velcro dog and with good reason, never leaves SWM's side, unless i happen to have food..;)

Don't be midlead by pics of Sealyhams or indeed Lucas terriers. This one looks a bit like a white ( non spotty ) shrunken Dalmation. ( I'm not sure he knows what he is, but hey ho ! )
...or even mislead...

:-)

Wish I knew how to post a picture...
 Dog guard or cage? - bathtub tom
>>Wish I knew how to post a picture...

Like this? tinyurl.com/5uh3mj9
Nope, not remotely ! Short coat, no "beard" long floppy ears, plain white, longer legs.
 Dog guard or cage? - Old Navy
I am not a dog person, so I look at it from a safety point of view, would you be happy to have a child restrained by a dog guard, when you could be all there is to stop it on its journey to the windscreen?

Most "Professional" dog owners seem to use cages, in an accident you might find the dog coming over the back seat preceded by the dog guard.
 Dog guard or cage? - Dog
I've had about 10 dogs in my life, and over 40 cars, and never used a cage OR a dog guard in the back,

I let them know who the guv'nor is from day 1 - "The leader of the pack".
 Dog guard or cage? - Robbie34
I have a dog guard in the back of my Honda Accord Tourer but Henry hates being left in the back. Consequently, I bought the Eezi-Dog harness that clips onto the seat belt and Henry is happy sitting by me in the fron seat.

Here he is wearing it.
[IMG]i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_0991.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 15:11
Think someone left the door open Robbie. He's gorn...

Unfortunately, this site won't allow the first [IMG] to be included. I'll try again.

[IMG]i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_0991.jpg[/IMG]

Cut and paste the URL and it will work.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 15:15
Try whistling?

tinyurl.com/6dl3joj

Try this.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 15:20
For some reason this site won't allow access.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 15:24
 Dog guard or cage? - Ted

Here y'are Robbie.

www.petsonthepark.com.au/category99_1.htm

I use one for the wife....not in the car, though !

Ted
 Dog guard or cage? - Zero
Well firstly you should have a cage at home, he should be trained in and from a cage.

BAck to the point in question, In the touran I used a VW guard. It wasnt going anywhere and used the luggage net supports as fixing. No dog was coming through that. I could also lock the car and leave the back up, cos no car thief was coming through that either.

With the Lancer I use a dog harness, again fixed to the luggage net mounting points.

Most professional dog trainers ( I am kinda part time ) use a cage because they don't want the working dogs ( or show dogs - Pahhh ) nicked. Cost a lot of money.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 16:11
Thanks for that. He has a cage which is his sleeping quarters and so far I've just been using that in the car. I had thought to switch to a dog guard once I can be reasonably sure of his continence!

Should've kept that estate car...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 16:19
>> Thanks for that. He has a cage which is his sleeping quarters and so far
>> I've just been using that in the car. I had thought to switch to a
>> dog guard once I can be reasonably sure of his continence!
>>
>> Should've kept that estate car...

Sounds like a plan to me.

Both of them... ;)
 Dog guard or cage? - bathtub tom
>>never used a cage OR a dog guard in the back,

Same here. My dogs would sit or lay in the front passenger footwell and occasionally sniff the air from a vent to find out where they were. They obviously knew when they were within a mile or two of our destination if it was regularly visited.
 Dog guard or cage? - Armel Coussine
It's a good idea to use a cage if you are going to make a young dog travel the boot. I recently had to do a bodge on my daughter's Alfa 147's n/s rear light cluster which had stopped working. The culprit wasn't one of the nippers but her flatcoat retriever pup, an absolutely charming animal eager to please, but suffering easily from boredom as the young so often do. He had poked his snout through the fairly poor-quality internal boot lining and bitten through the wires. Naughty DOHC (pronounced 'Doc')!

Poor beast, he often gets tied up or left in the car, and he so loves bounding about the place.
Sounds like me....

Dog guard or cage? - R.P.
I used the dog's cage for a while in the back of the car, but hoiking it in and out is a pain the proverbial - dog-guard solves the problem, especially when the dog's settled down to being a chewer or non-chewer, Alf the cocker now goes in the back with the standard BMW dog-guard...an expensive after market boot-liner and a cheap and cheerful well made rubberized cover from a Pet shed.

Alf puked when we first had him but not been ill in the back of the car for the last couple of years....

Well, Leo's obviously a car buff. He's been helping me wash mine this afternoon in so far as he has been stealing the chamois leather and killing it whenever I put it back in the clean water bucket.

I really don't give much for Frank the Guinea Pig's life expectancy...days are numbered I reckon.
Funny things dogs, mine is now "killing" a blue toy - - never chews or destroys them, just plays with them, the funniest thing the other evening, out walking he started showing a bit more interest than usual in a piece of ground, even odder when he looked up at me he clearly had something in his mouth - an it was moving. I forced them open and he had a little dormouse in there - The mouse scuttled off in shock as soon as he managed to escape. What amazes me with this one, for a "hunter killer" that he was so gentle.
 Dog guard or cage? - Dog
>>What amazes me with this one, for a "hunter killer" that he was so gentle.<<

A cat would have killed the little dormouse ~ any cat.
 Dog guard or cage? - BobbyG
Our lab is now 8 months old and so far we have never used cage or anything in the car.

When we first brought it home, it sat in a box on my daughter's lap.

Now, most of the times it is in a car are short journeys of only a couple of miles down to the inlaws or to the park. Just jumps up intot he Altea boot and lies down quite happily.

Since we got it, could count its accidents on one hand and that includes Hogmonay when it let us know it didn't like fireworks.!

Started off with a cage, then moved to a bigger cage and now have removed the cage and he just loves his bed. Sleeps in the utility room and it is the one "order" it obeys 100% of the time - you just need to say "bedtime" and he will get up and trot through to his bed and lies down!

Must look into getting one of the harness things I suppose...

On a separate note, did any dog lovers watch Marley and me tonight or see it before? Anyone confess to watery eyes at the end????
Humph,

Mrs Humph may have laid the law down in this respect already. Prevent him from going into rooms you don't want him to go, includes upstairs - solves a lot of problems.
Yup echo PU there. A firm "no" at every threshold you don't want them to cross and they quickly get the idea.

Dog guard or cage? - BobbyG
Zero, you have mail.

Our dog does not get upstairs. Downstairs doesn't have carpets, upstairs does.
>> Zero, you have mail.

Ah that was you that went ping on my Iphone while I was standing n a draughty train platform!
Heh heh, when I said he'd been good there have been just the two "accidents". He's not allowed upstairs but one day last week I was working in my study and everyone else was out. I must have left the wrong combination of doors open because I later discovered a fairly respectable turd right in the middle of my wife's dressing room. Very girly in there. I did ponder what to do about it but then she came home so the decision on subsequent action was then her's ! No access upstairs since !
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 16 Jul 11 at 22:20
They will exploit any weakness in your "dogproofing" they are adept and very adaptable.....
Soooo glad he was in her car ( in his cage ) this morning....Bit of a toilet disaster followed by treading in it and then wagging his tail vigorously when the tailgate was opened apparently....Got quite a range in terms of collateral targets I hear. Her new pink top won't be the same again....

:-)))
The best one is the trip to the canal, back in the car, and then the "shake n vac" when the tailgate is opened.

Bit of an indulgence taking him to the canal towpath in the car, it's right behind the house thank goodness ! He decided he was "harder" than a swan last night. The swan disagreed.
 Dog guard or cage? - swiss tony
>> Bit of an indulgence taking him to the canal towpath in the car, it's right
>> behind the house thank goodness ! He decided he was "harder" than a swan last
>> night. The swan disagreed.
>>

Who won?
my money is on the swan. SNasty Spiteful things.
 Dog guard or cage? - Armel Coussine
>> Nasty Spiteful things.

Certainly are. I saw one overturn a police launch once and then go for the swimming coppers one by one. Drowned three of them. Had to be put down by the Navy in the end.

No, sorry, I just made that up.
An unfriendly truce was achieved. Much hissing from the swan, much growling from the dog.
 Dog guard or cage? - legacylad
dog car harness, unless all seats are occupied. After 20+ years in the pet trade I have sold hundreds of car crates & guards, but always use a HiCraft, or similar, harness with my own dogs. In case I get rear ended, they don't suffer horrendous injuries by being catapulted forwards, even within a cage.
Had a look at some harnesses at a garden centre / pet store today. Might consider one later.
 Dog guard or cage? - -
Nothing to do with cages but pertinent at the back end of dogs, have you considered a healthy raw meaty bone diet for the Hump hound, poos are far better in consistency and less in volume than processed food fed dogs...breath sweet too all the time as the teeth are cleaned properly almost every feed.

Yeah, I've been giving that some thought. Friend of mine lobbed a bone to his dog. Dog missed, bone bounced and smashed the rear tail light cluster on his new A4 Avant.

Dog was "in the doghouse" for a while...

The light broke due to a bouncing bone?

They dont make lights like they used to.

As for dogs, I feed them on dry dog food, and yes only a bone or two can clean a dogs teeth.

Raw chicken wings work as good teeth cleaners, buy a large bag of frozen ones and defrost one a day.
Dry food here as well. Don't feed him cheap stuff, buy the best you can afford. My dog has a rawhide bone now and again - which he plays with, eats and stashes them at different places. He's a happy, healthy dog - one very odd thing about him is that he only eats when he appears to be hungry - his breakfast is still in his bowl as I type which he may well eat at some point and possibly as late as 11pm. The only time he wolfs his food down is when his mate (a Labrador) is staying. Vet has always said it's not an issue but has not an ounce of waste on him and has a glossy coat...odd creature. (dog's in good condition as well :-) )
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 18 Jul 11 at 13:00

>> eat at some point and possibly as late as 11pm. The only time he wolfs
>> his food down is when his mate (a Labrador) is staying.

sensible fella, the lab would have it away in the wag of a tail.
 Dog guard or cage? - -
Raw beef, poultry necks, chicken wings and liver here mostly, with assorted other bits including oily fish and crushed veg now and again for balance and minerals, plus heavier bones when we get them, i smash the heavy cow thigh bones with an axe so she can get purchase to get to the marrow easier.

Around 900g of staple food every day (smallest of the pointer breeds), dog goes mad for this food and will not touch dried unless another dog present, lapping up the blood that pools in the bowl, bowl licked clean within 2 minutes every time...after feeding she usually has a mad 5 minutes of tearing round the garden flat out.

Interesting thing about this way of feeding is that she seldom drinks water at home, presumably getting most of her needs from the wet food...preferring to drink from streams whilst running the umpteen miles she does every day hunting.
One side effect of dry food is a decent er....turd (which makes it easier to scoop) - as GB suggests the other "problem" is that supplementary water is required. Again in an odd bit of behaviour he has an ( superbly American made) anti-skid bowl which he rarely drinks from and is rarely dry - but runs to his little metal bowl,that used to clip to his cage, which now resides by his bed to quaff....odd hound.
 Dog guard or cage? - Mapmaker
>>Don't feed him cheap stuff, buy the best you can afford.

Like most things, if you pay more you're buying a brand name, rather than quality. Something has to pay for all that marketing. Look at the instructions on the back of a packet. Key one is the protein level. Pup should be on 30% protein. Adult on 19-24% depending on what you do with him, how well he eats etc.

(Canned dog food is an expensive way of buying water.)
May switch this hound back to Pero - less dog-food miles, it's made down the road, the other dog liked it.
 Dog guard or cage? - Dog
Apart from when he was growing, my R/Ridgeback has only been fed with a good quality dried food,
he's on this at the moment - www.whites-premium.com/

He's in good nick for an 11 year old large breed, and people orften say they can't believe he's 11,
AND he hasn't bin to the Vets in years,

Anyway, while I'm ere, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience of owning munsters?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_M%C3%BCnsterl%C3%A4nder
Fifi gets fed on dry dog food, a Purina brand which at £12 for 15kgs is less than a third of the overpriced ones, one raw chicken wing every two days, and any left over meat or veg from the family meal.

I keep her light, very light, she will claim on the edge of starvation, so she has a nipped in waist and you can easily feel her ribs through her sides. She is currently 19.5kg.

At 12 she has only had visits to the vet for two tick incidents where I screwed up, and an on and off continual battle with a rebuilt front leg after an accident 10 years ago.

Light is the way to go, fat dogs die.

Dog guard or cage? - Dog
>>Light is the way to go, fat dogs die.<<

And peops! .. does Fifi eat the bones of the chic'n wing as well?

LadyDog says I starve Milo, he looks like an advert for war on want!
>> >>Light is the way to go, fat dogs die.<<
>>
>> And peops! .. does Fifi eat the bones of the chic'n wing as well?

The wing comes out the fridge as it came off the chicken, and into the dogs mouth.

Raw Wing bones dont splinter.
That is a lovely looking dog Dog - I saw one on that dreadful Crufts programme - His face !! I now know where the designer of the X1 got his inspiration for the front of the car - a slightly arrogant/supercilious, but purposeful sneer - I want one ! Trouble is I want a dog like Humph's as well...
 Dog guard or cage? - Dog
>>That is a lovely looking dog Dog<<

Yes, they are - I used to see one where we lived in Truro, when he said it was a 'Large' Munsterlander, I had a mental picture of a sort-of Leonberger!

I research dogs like I do cars etc. before buying one, and Munsters check out OK,

Apart from being a gun dog, but I just wont buy him one!
My dog had his licence application turned down
Mine ate it.
yeah cracking dogs those munsterlanders.

As its mostly a working dog, its not been destroyed by the show breeders.

>> The light broke due to a bouncing bone?

Gert big bone, gert big dog. Rottweiler. Soft as a brush too.
Latest Forum Posts