Motoring Discussion > 'Laid-up' insurance? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 11

'Laid-up' insurance? - Badwolf
Howdo.

I'm taking my Megane off the road for a while, but I want to keep it insured in case it gets vandalised or stolen.

Are there any companies that anybody can recommend that provide a 'laid-up' insurance policy?

Cheers.
 'Laid-up' insurance? - Old Navy
I believe continuous insurance is mandatory now so you don't have any choice but keep it insured. Unless you want a fine in the post from from the DVLA.
It only has to be insured if it's taxed. If it's declared SORN (which I have just done) it doesn't have to insured. So I'm led to believe - I hope that's correct!
 'Laid-up' insurance? - Old Navy
You are right, SORN vehicles are exempt according to the Directgov website.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696
 'Laid-up' insurance? - Skoda
One of the categories RBS group (Churchill, Direct line, Prudential, NIG etc.) offer is "off the road" cover, used for classics and the like.

I think the catch is it doesn't cover much, like i don't think it covers if a slate falls off the house roof and damages the car (although maybe the house insurance would in that case).
 'Laid-up' insurance? - Slidingpillar
I've got 'garage risks' cover for which read fire and theft on a veteran car that is currently SORN.

Ageas (was Fortis) policy.
 'Laid-up' insurance? - Iffy
Given the low value of the Megane, and the relatively low risk if it's in a locked garage, is it worth insuring?

Are you driving anything else?

There's your no claims bonus to consider.

Might be worth taking the off-road insurance to preserve that, assuming it does.

>> Given the low value of the Megane, and the relatively low risk if it's in
>> a locked garage, is it worth insuring?

It's not in a garage, but on the drive. I know it's not worth a lot, but the value of it is more than I can afford to lose if some scrote half-inches it.

>> Are you driving anything else?

Aye, Mrs B's car.

>> There's your no claims bonus to consider.

Hadn't thought of that. I'd better give my current insurers a tinkle tomorrow.
 'Laid-up' insurance? - Cliff Pope
You can certainly get laid-up insurance for classic cars, and even cover for an incomplete car in the course of restoration. But it isn't "insurance" in the Road Traffic Act sense, so the car has to be on SORN.
 'Laid-up' insurance? - sherlock47
Has the MID been set up to correctly cope with this scenario?

Remember it is a Government IT project! :)

It may be interesting to check MID before, during, and after you invoke laid up cover of an existing policy!
Last edited by: pmh on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 10:17
 'Laid-up' insurance? - CGNorwich
Has the MID been set up to correctly cope with this scenario?

Yes it has. It will show you as uninsured if you do not have valid Road Traffic Act third party insurance.
 'Laid-up' insurance? - Bromptonaut
What CGN said. MID is designed to identify cars insured for use on the road and insured for 3rd party liability. It does not need to capture cars laid up & insured solely against loss to the owner.
Latest Forum Posts