Motoring Discussion > online insurance Legal Questions
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 14

online insurance - zookeeper
im insuring my car online in about 30 mins, swmbo thinks it doesnt come into effect until midnight , is she right? i would of thought it would cover us to drive once we hit the send button
 online insurance - R.P.
Usually starts at a minute after midnight on the commence date. If the commence date is today then it's insured if it's tomorrow then it's tomorrow...IYKWIM
 online insurance - Dave_
In my experience it starts from the moment the "send" button is pressed. Certainly when I changed cars it was valid from 17:23 on the day I submitted the new information. I think it starts from 00:01 only if bought in advance of the date cover is required to start.

It expires at a minute to midnight on the day before though, so a policy bought this second will cover you for 364 days, 3 hours and 41 minutes. (Actually it's 365 days plus a little bit this year because 2012 is a leap year, but I digress.)

EDIT:
>> Usually starts at a minute after midnight on the commence date. If the commence date is today then it's insured

That can't be right, otherwise we'd all only buy insurance an hour after crashing :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 18 Jul 11 at 20:21
 online insurance - Zero
you usually cant buy insurance for the day you are applying for it. So you have to choose the next day, and it starts at 00:00 on that day - ie tomorrow.
 online insurance - zookeeper
thanks chaps, il have to wait till midnight to test drive it then....the new polo that is
 online insurance - Dave_
>> you usually cant buy insurance for the day you are applying for it.

How does it work when the Traffic Cops on the telly get a punter to buy insurance for their car on the spot to stop it being seized? I stand by my idea that whilst car insurance cannot be backdated by even one minute, cover can be obtained to start immediately.

Of course, the MID takes a day or two to catch up.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 18 Jul 11 at 20:42
 online insurance - Zero
>> >> you usually cant buy insurance for the day you are applying for it.
>>
>> How does it work when the Traffic Cops on the telly get a punter to
>> buy insurance for their car on the spot to stop it being seized?

On the phone?

I stand
>> by my idea that whilst car insurance cannot be backdated by even one minute, cover
>> can be obtained to start immediately.
>>

Everytime I have tried to insure on-line its wont allow that day, only the next.

>> Of course, the MID takes a day or two to catch up.

Even a week.
 online insurance - Slidingpillar
I arranged cover to start if I needed it as a result of a possible car purchase. I bought the car, made my phone call to the broker and from time, I was covered. Start time 1556 or some such.

I think at the end of the day I lost the hours from midnight to 1556, but it was hardly a big price to lose a few hours in a year.
 online insurance - Crankcase
Just done this today. Tried 5 companies online and all offered start dates of today. The one I picked in the end insured from the moment the send button was pressed.
 online insurance - Stuartli
When I changed my car last year, I contacted Zurich in advance of collecting the vehicle.

The insurance was in place from the time I drove it out of the dealership although, to be fair, I was also covered by a free three day VW insurance cover backup.

VW's attempt to persuade me to switch from Zurich to their own provision failed, mainly because the cost would have risen from around £270 a year to £550 - they dropped it to £500 but still couldn't understand why I rejected their kind offer.....:-)
 online insurance - Zero
When I picked up the lancer, I was given 7 days free driveaway insurance by Aviva. I was most surprised when they then offered me a very good deal indeed.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 08:54
 online insurance - Londoner
You obviously got a result there, Zero.

I'm still rather wary of Aviva, due to my experiences in dealing with them way back in 2007. I know it takes a bit of believing, but given the choice between writing off my car and providing a brand new one, or repairing the old one at a total cost of around 10 grand MORE, they actually chose the repair option!

I chatted to the repair shop about this, and they told me that it was quite a common with that particular company in those days, giving me recent examples, and also gave me a plausible explanation as to why they did this. Later on as I got to know Aviva (or NU as they were then) better, I found myself agreeing with the repair shop's theory.

However I'd better box clever in the interest of myself and the site and stop at this point. I think you can guess what it was anyway.
Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 12:52
 online insurance - Zero
>> You obviously got a result there, Zero.

Yup and I renewed with them too, as it was still (surprisingly to me) a competitive renewal price.

However I am fully prepared to dump them if someone comes in cheaper, and I suspect that LVE will do that by some margin,
 online insurance - Iffy
I was with NU/Aviva for a few years, and in hindsight, overpaid for most of those years.

My fault for not checking.

No hard feelings, I would insure with them again if the quote was right.

online insurance - madf
I have signed up with AViva this years as their quote was about 10% cheaper.. But of course, next year I may switch again.. depends on the market.
Latest Forum Posts