Motoring Discussion > Insurance - just found out I've had an accident Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 21

Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - Focusless
Well ok - I know I ran into the back of someone's Honda estate last November, but it looked like the bumper had just 'popped out' of its fittings and could be pushed back in again by a friendly dealer. We exchanged details, I told my insurers (eSure) admitting it was my fault, and that was the last I heard about it; I'd assumed the other party hadn't bothered to make a claim.

My recent renewal quote from eSure seemed a bit high, so I did a comparison and decided to go ahead with one of the cheaper quotes. But the new insurer's website said there was a problem. I rang them up, and it turns out their system had discovered there was a claim against me, which I hadn't declared when I entered my details on the comparison site because I didn't know there was one.

Shouldn't eSure have told me?

Also, sorry if this is a daft question but what does it mean regarding my NCB - it was protected with eSure, so does that mean I can still claim my 9 years NCB with the new company, albeit while still telling them about the accident?
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - Zero
There are two points at issues here

A claim against you, and a "fault" accident (because you told the insurance company)

You may not have had the first, you have certainly had the second. You may have had both.

Either or both need to be disclosed to a new insurance company, Either or both will mean you are a higher risk and and an increase in premiums is a given with any company.

No, they dont need to, or have any obligation to tell you there has been a claim against you, and usually your protected NCB is only valid as long as you stay with the company that protected it.

At the end of the day, you have had a "blame" accident and all that entails.
>> There are two points at issues here
>>
>> A claim against you, and a "fault" accident (because you told the insurance company)
>>
>> You may not have had the first, you have certainly had the second. You may
>> have had both.

The bloke I spoke to at the new company said both, if I understood him correctly.

>> Either or both need to be disclosed to a new insurance company,

They already know!

>> No, they dont need to, or have any obligation to tell you there has been
>> a claim against you, and usually your protected NCB is only valid as long as
>> you stay with the company that protected it.

Oh well.
BTW did try to speak to eSure this evening, but after holding for ~15 mins they closed.

>> >> Either or both need to be disclosed to a new insurance company,
>>
>> They already know!

Yeah but *you* didnt tell them. There is nothing they hate worse than "non-disclosure" Its possible you can end up with a "refusal to insure" or "insurance withdrawn" and that is the kiss of death!
>> Yeah but *you* didnt tell them. There is nothing they hate worse than "non-disclosure" Its
>> possible you can end up with a "refusal to insure" or "insurance withdrawn" and that
>> is the kiss of death!

Understand that - I would have been happy to tell them if I'd known about it.

EDIT: by 'it' I mean the claim
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 20 Jul 11 at 21:52
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - rtj70
Step-son was in a similar situation - not identical. He was the cause of a minor accident just before a policy was due for renewal - and didn't say anything. And not long after the new policy another.

It all caught up with him so to speak and the call we had for an accident he admitted to etc. And then the next call - and the confusion from me as this was another accident. The latter settles without insurance involvement but they were aware.

After the first accident and the subsequent claim came to light (after renewal - whiplash of course) I made him stick it out. Insurance had come down to £700pa but then leapt back to nearer £1200pa. I was trying to avoid what could have happened - refused insurance. If he'd declined the higher rate then that to me was a problem for the future.

I hope Focus can sort this. Even if it costs a bit don't be labelled 'insurance refused' or similar.
>> Even if it costs a bit don't be labelled 'insurance refused' or similar.

No plans to hide anything. But now I'm just wondering whether the fact that I couldn't complete the online purchase process (because it spotted I hadn't included the claim in my details) means I have already been 'refused'?
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - R.P.
No - phone and speak to them. Should be sorted out.
>> No - phone and speak to them. Should be sorted out.

Already spoken to the new company - that's when I found out about the claim. He suggested I speak to eSure (current insurer). Couldn't get hold of them before they closed for the day.
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - rtj70
Sorry Focus I didn't mean to suggest you were hiding anything! Sorry.

Insurance companies are to be avoided. A reason for (well partly) my next car being a company one again. And not wanting to find the £28k to buy one new too. And once having a company car stolen.... hope history does not repeat 12 years later.
>> Sorry Focus I didn't mean to suggest you were hiding anything! Sorry.

No apology necessary - I didn't take it that way, just clarifying. Sorry :)

I'll ring the new company again tomorrow to see what the situation is regarding my NCB ie. whether I can now port it from eSure given the 'claim' - probably not if Z says so.

Actually I need to get a new quote - eSure might be the cheapest given my amended details.
Just spoke to eSure - turns out the claim to fix the out-of-place bumper came to a paltry £1800. (There was some boot damage as well apparently - would like to have seen it - and hire car to pay for.)

Regarding letting me know there had been a claim, they said they normally ask whether you want to be kept updated, and apologised (I don't remember them asking, and if they had I doubt I would have said no).

Irritating.
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - Iffy
...Irritating...

I'd have been irritated.

But I've heard of other cases where the insurance company has paid a claim without telling the policyholder, so I don't think esure has done anything wrong, apart from giving poor customer service.

What are you going to do about renewal?

Sticking with esure might be the simplest.

A year or two of increased premiums is inevitable, but time is a great healer, and this claim will soon fade from your record.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 21 Jul 11 at 08:56
>> What are you going to do about renewal?
>>
>> Sticking with esure might be the simplest.

Indeed - I've got to cancel it today if I'm going to change, and my enthusiasm for sorting out something else has waned away to pretty much nothing...
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - Duncan
>> the claim to fix the out-of-place bumper came>> to a paltry £1800.
>>

£1800 is a paltry amount?

Am I completely out of touch?
I think you'll find he was being just a leeeeeeeeeeeetle bit sarcastic.
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - Duncan
>> I think you'll find he was being just a leeeeeeeeeeeetle bit sarcastic.
>>

I guess you are probably right.

Sigh - it's been a long day!
>> >> I think you'll find he was being just a leeeeeeeeeeeetle bit sarcastic.
>> >>
>>
>> I guess you are probably right.
>>
>> Sigh - it's been a long day!

Sorry Duncan, I should know by now not to leave out the :)
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - Mapmaker
Focus>> Understand that - I would have been happy to tell them if I'd known about
>> it.

Err, but in your OP you wrote " I know I ran into the back of someone's Honda estate last November."

So you did know about it. Is this a post about amnesia rather than insurance? (In which case I don't think you're fit to be driving so insurance is the least of your problems ;) )
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Thu 21 Jul 11 at 14:31
>> Focus>> Understand that - I would have been happy to tell them if I'd known
>> about
>> >> it.
>>
>>
>> Err, but in your OP you wrote " I know I ran into the back
>> of someone's Honda estate last November."

I think you know what I mean and can see the :) but just in case - AFAIK it only became something that affected my insurance when the other party made a claim. That's what I would have liked to have known about.

EDIT: and according to eSure they should have told me (although they there was no legal obligation to do so)
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 21 Jul 11 at 16:46
 Insurance - just found out I've had an accident - Mapmaker
>>AFAIK it only became something that affected my insurance when the other party made a claim

That of course is where you are wrong. The form asks you whether you have had accidents to which your response is "yes" not "no".
Latest Forum Posts