Motoring Discussion > FIAT 500 - Twin air
Thread Author: mattbod Replies: 10

FIAT 500 - Twin air - mattbod
Had a drive in one of these and very tempted as nippy and fun with a lovely throaty engine. However 35mpg from a 900cc engine is very worrying don't you think. Also the brochure says mechanical tappets. I thought they were all hydraulic these days and that this engine had trick hydraulic valve gear anyway. I take it these tappets won't need adjusting like an old A Series!

What do you guys think of this motor?
 FIAT 500 - Twin air - R.P.
Dunno, but you got me thinking of that matt black 500 I saw when I was shopping with Beige-Skoda man last winter.

FIAT 500 - Twin air - Ted

I've driven 4 different Twin-airs in the last 7 days. I, too, was very impressed by the quality of the little cars. Very nippy, as you say, and nice handling.
The interior was well finished, one of them was a white one with white dash and steering wheel and another a very fetching black I liked the glass roof and also the fact it had a good screen to keep the Sun out when required.

I think they'll go down very well with our young, professional customers living in the trendier parts of the city centre.

I didn't know they were only 900cc...it felt more like 1399 ! I can't comment on it's economy as someone else buys the fuel...although I did fill them all up using the car's fuel cards.

I commented to SWM that it would be high up the list if we wanted a small car.

Ted
 FIAT 500 - Twin air - Focusless
>> What do you guys think of this motor?

Wouldn't buy one on principle having seen that TV ad with a horribly dubbed Alonso :)

The ad grates with me...but for the ' Less emissions ' when it should be ' Fewer emissions ' .

Ted
 FIAT 500 - Twin air - CGNorwich
Only if you deem emissions as a plural whereas actually the word is being used in a singular sense , like air or water so less is, I believe, correct.

Can't beat some late night pedantry ;-0

Less emission....fewer emissions....plural.

Ted
 FIAT 500 - Twin air - AnotherJohnH
>> Less emission....fewer emissions.

let's call the whole thing off..

Regarding consumption, apparently they are poor if driven with gusto.
 FIAT 500 - Twin air - Zero
>> >> What do you guys think of this motor?
>>
>> Wouldn't buy one on principle having seen that TV ad with a horribly dubbed Alonso
>> :)

Yeah, he sounds like a mexican baddie in a 50's cowboy flick. What on earth were they thinking, its not as tho he cant speak english.

Possibly the most counter productive add I have ever seen.
 FIAT 500 - Twin air - Focusless
>> Yeah, he sounds like a mexican baddie in a 50's cowboy flick. What on
>> earth were they thinking, its not as tho he cant speak english.

I tried to find it on youtube but could only get what is presumably the original version with him speaking in his native tongue. Perhaps they've spent so much developing all that new technology that they haven't got anything left to pay him to do it again. (Although won't he be doing it under the Ferrari contract?)
 FIAT 500 - Twin air - NortonES2
Honda iVtec uses oil for the change in cam timing etc, but it also has mechanical tappets. They don't seem to require much adjustment - the older Jazz engine tappets (exhaust side I think) can be hard to reach and the suspicion is they are often left untouched....
Latest Forum Posts