Motoring Discussion > Cheap oil at Asda Miscellaneous
Thread Author: gramar Replies: 7

Cheap oil at Asda - gramar
Popped into my local Asda yesterday and saw they are selling their own brand 5 litre packs of engine oil for £10 instead of £16 - I'm tempted to buy some, any reason why I shouldn't? and does anyone no who supplies it to them?
 Cheap oil at Asda - Meldrew
All that really matters is that it meets the applicable British Standard and the Specification stated in your car handbook. If it does the supplier doesn't really matter.
 Cheap oil at Asda - Skoda
Agree with Meldrew, if it meets the spec, doesn't matter what the name on the can is.

At £10 it wont meet the spec for anything >1990.
 Cheap oil at Asda - Old Navy
In my local ASDA today the only decent spec own brand oil was full synthetic 5/30 C3 @ £20 / 5 litre pack.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 15:00
 Cheap oil at Asda - Victorbox
>> At £10 it wont meet the spec for anything >1990.

It's Wilkinsons for me - their 10W/40 semi-synthetic and 5W/30 fully synthetic meet all the specs for most modern engines..... well unless its a Volkswagen on 30,000 mile service intervals perhaps:-
Wilko Semi Synthetic Formula 10w 40 Motor Oil 5l £13.18 tinyurl.com/3v49nb8
Carlube Triple R Fully Synthetic 5w 30 Motor Oil 4ltr £15.18 tinyurl.com/4zhafum
Last edited by: Victorbox on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 17:15
 Cheap oil at Asda - Robin O'Reliant

>> It's Wilkinsons for me - their 10W/40 semi-synthetic and 5W/30 fully synthetic meet all the specs for most modern engines.....
>>
If you look at the technical data for that on the link you posted you'll see why it's so cheap. It isn't machine washable.

You really ought to read the small print Victorbox, someone could have wasted good money on that.
 Cheap oil at Asda - spamcan61
>> Agree with Meldrew, if it meets the spec, doesn't matter what the name on the
>> can is.
>>
>> At £10 it wont meet the spec for anything >1990.
>>
Maybe not much designed after 1990, but ACEA A3 is fine for my 95 and 99 Vectras; thanks to the OP for the heads up, bought 4 'cans' in Adsa Totton today. They're proper 5 litre jobs as well, rather than the increasingly common 4 or 4.5 litre capacity ones.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 21:21
 Cheap oil at Asda - spamcan61
Whoops, missed the edit: there's a 5W/30 semi synth. as well as the 10W/40 on offer.
Latest Forum Posts