Motoring Discussion > Bad driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 17

Bad driving - zippy
Now I know that I am far from perfect when it comes to driving but I have experienced some dreadful driving by others this weekend.

Adding to my comment last week about a woman eating cereal whilst driving a 4x4 on a roundabout and cutting me up....

On Friday evening when heading home from work a 4 x 4 pulled out of a side road on the offside in to my lane, forcing me to stop!

On Saturday evening, driving through a village. My side of the narrow road was clear, the other side was fully parked up. I gave way for a couple of cars heading towards me on my side then set off up the street. (Female driver.)

Half way up the road a convoy of various vehicles decided to come down the road, including some very large camper vans. I had nowhere to go but the pavement and some of the drivers had the audacity to curse at me! (The curser was female)

To make it clear, the lead vehicles could see me there but just decided to barge on through. The following vehicles probably couldn't see me because they were so close to the cars in front.

About 1/4 of a mile further on a car was parked on zebra crossing zigzags when there was plenty of space around a few yards walk away from the newsagents! (Another woman)

Driving home at about midnight, the number of pedestrians on the road was quite disturbing. Now I did slow to a crawl, but seriously, if someone is going to step out in to the road backwards, they are just asking for trouble.

Some courteous driving - when a young lass waited patiently for me to reverse in to a parking space and I got it wrong first time!

Just want to say its not an anti female thing, I know I make mistakes and see other guys do too, just this month they win hands down! ;-)

Bad driving - Skoda
The parked cars thing is annoying, everyone seems to copy the bad driving approach. Twice i've seen the guy behind me overtake as i pull up ahead of parked cars on my side for oncoming traffic. Just wasted so much time while they all battled it out.

I just avoid it wherever i can, parked cars up ahead and oncoming traffic == ease off on the approach and they'll be through before i get there. Least hassle, probably a second or so faster than coming to a halt at the obstruction too.

Bad driving - Manatee
>>. Twice i've seen the guy behind me overtake as i pull up ahead of parked cars on my side for oncoming traffic.

Try pulling up with your right indicator on. Works for me.

The commonest example of lazy/poor driving under this heading is when an oncoming driver who has the space pulls out to pass a parked car, and the drivers behind, who haven't, just follow.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 14:55
 Bad driving - Iffy
A white van man undertook me on the A1(M) a few days ago.

There wasn't sufficient room, and I had to brake to avoid a collision.

I must learn to tailgate.

Bad driving - Zero
>> A white van man undertook me on the A1(M) a few days ago.
>>
>> There wasn't sufficient room, and I had to brake to avoid a collision.

He managed it, clearly there was room.
 Bad driving - Iffy
...He managed it, clearly there was room...

Zero,

There was not room.

That is why I had to put the brakes on.

Bad driving - Zero
Sorry iffy, but as he didnt hit anything, there was room.

Matter not how the room came to be there.
 Bad driving - Iffy
...Matter not how the room came to be there...

Yes it does.

Driving in a manner which causes another driver to brake to avoid a collision is bad driving.

Undertaking on a motorway in those circumstances makes out the offence of driving without due care and attention, if not dangerous driving.

Bad driving - Zero
Wasnt disputing that. But you cant deny there was room.
 Bad driving - Skoda
>> Try pulling up with your right indicator on.

Aye and positioned assertively on the road (not quite on the middle line but near enough to show clear intent without making it harder for oncoming traffic).

Still overtaken. One of the times it was on a bend to the left in a residential area, there is absolutely no way the driver could see what was coming until they were committed.
 Bad driving - Old Navy
>> >> Try pulling up with your right indicator on.
>>
>> Aye and positioned assertively on the road (not quite on the middle line but near
>> enough to show clear intent without making it harder for oncoming traffic).
>>

Your positioning is often the key to other drivers actions. Apart from the complete idiots who are too thick to assess a situation.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 15:23
 Bad driving - zippy
>> Apart from the complete idiots who are too thick to assess a situation.

Like the so and so who forced their way down one lane when I was already halfway along it!

Bad driving - Skoda
>> Apart from the complete idiots

It's got to be more subtle than that. Example, i saw a nice new discovery millimetres from the bumper of the car in front, both in the middle lane overtaking noone.

As i passed them, the guy in the disco was well dressed with expensive looking glasses. You don't get to that point in life being a complete idiot, yet in a car, the guy has about as much sense as a choc mouse in a hot oven.

I've stopped pondering these things, i really think there is no answer! :-)
 Bad driving - Old Navy
Driving is a skill, some can't acquire it, some don't realise that it exists. Its got nothing to do with your (perceived) status in life. In fact I suspect that many believe it is beneath them to learn the skill.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 16:28
 Bad driving - Skoda
>> In fact I suspect that
>> many believe it is beneath them to learn the skill.

Suspect you're right :-(
 Bad driving - Dave_
The driving skills of some other motorists have made me despair this weekend. I swear they don't look any further ahead than the cut-off point of the beam cast by their (thumbwheel adjusted to 3) dipped headlights.

I drive at around 63mph*, which is slightly faster than the lorries but quite a bit slower than the Audis. I've covered 200-odd miles of three-lane motorway this weekend, and it seems that every time I've moved from lane 1 to an empty lane 2 to overtake a wagon, 30 or 40 seconds later I've gained a car tailgating me at a 10 foot distance. When I've completed the overtake and moved back into lane 1 I've received all manner of interesting hand gestures from the tailgater as they've come past me a moment later. Lane 3 (and, where applicable, lane 4 as well) has remained empty throughout.

*Using a gallon an hour :)
 Bad driving - Runfer D'Hills
There is a danger, when driving, of exhibiting almost a temporary form of autism. In particular manifested as a refusal to accept that rules will not necessarily be followed and or adhered to.

I find that assuming every other road user has an I.Q. measured in double digits, are tired, distracted and that quite a lot of them are psychopaths or indeed suicidal too more or less works as a self-preservation measure. Of course some of them are quite normal but if you allow them to be the ones which surprise you by their good driving or other road use it tends to be less of a problem than the other way round.

:-)
 Bad driving - Armel Coussine
>> if you allow them to be the ones which surprise you by their good driving or other road use it tends to be less of a problem than the other way round.

Indeed Humph. Every now and again I interrupt my ongoing Tourettes-style profane monologue about the crap drivers all around, point to some vehicle and say it is being well driven. Of course herself has never noticed (she doesn't notice much of the carp either, only the really, really outrageous bits).

Unfortunately these moments of murmuring approval are so rare that they fail to soothe. No one should doubt that Ms Coussine has a heavy cross to bear.
Latest Forum Posts