Motoring Discussion > Listing chain cam bangers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 66

Listing chain cam bangers - Alanovich
I have a friend who is in the market for a sub-£1000 banger in which to do a 5 mile school run every morning. Before anyone starts, the catchment area school for his son was oversubscribed this year, as were the two other nearest schools (there is insufficient primary school provision in our corner of Reading), so they chose the next nearest which is 5 miles away (in fact, it's in another town, and another county even). A 4-going-on-5 year old can not be expected to walk or cycle this distance, there is no direct bus service. As for lift sharing, well, they need a car to participate in a share scheme in the first place. The main family car is needed by the other parent to commute to work, leaving much earlier than the school opens. There, I think that covers every angle, hopefully precluding the usual "alternative" suggestions, and abuse.

So on to my main point.

He wants (don't we all) a cheap, reliable car. He knows very little about cars and so has come to me for advice, and I have suggest small, petrol engined Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas, KIAs, Hyundais, Nissans.

However, there is a further wrinkle I'd like to investigate, for which there are no dedicated internet sources, it would seem. Of this list of manufacturers, which models and derivates are there with chain cam engines? I ask so as to narrow it down to the versions with the cheapest servicing costs (oil and filter change every 6 months, chuck the car away when it blows up).

I know there's a Nissan Almera with a chain cam, but can't remember which engine/version this is.

Perhaps if other forum members could post up models and variants which they know to be chain cam engined, this thread could become a useful repository for other seeking similar beasts.

Thanks for any suggestions.
 Listing chain cam bangers - Zero
Nissan Primera P11

Chain cam*, just serviced my sons 300 quid 11 year old version.

Took 35 minutes. Oil, Oil Filter, fuel filter, plugs, air filter.

* all petrol variants.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 14:02
Thanks Z, but what does P11 signify? 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0? Which years?

EDIT - sorry, just spotted you said all petrol variants, but that still leaves the question of which years of manufacture?
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 14:04
>> Thanks Z, but what does P11 signify? 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0? Which years?
>>
>> EDIT - sorry, just spotted you said all petrol variants, but that still leaves the
>> question of which years of manufacture?

P11 is 1995 - 1999, P11-144 is the face lift, 1999-2002. so 95 to 2002.
 Listing chain cam bangers - Iffy
Not sure about cams, but would an old-shape Nissan Micra suit?

They are reckoned to be bomb proof, and cheap to repair if they do go wrong.

Quite cute, and fun to drive.

Lots on the 'trader for under £1,000.

Yes, Iffy, just the job, but would be keen to know if there are any chain cam Micras.
...but would be keen to know if there are any chain cam Micras...

A quick Google suggests a belt, although Wiki says it's a 'compact, reliable, lightweight and fuel-efficient motor'.

What more could a banger owner want?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_CG_engine#CG10DE
 Listing chain cam bangers - sooty123
Think the square early 90 ones were, not sure about the later ones.

A ford fiesta big enough? The 1.25 were chain cam.
 Listing chain cam bangers - DP
>> A ford fiesta big enough? The 1.25 were chain cam.

The 1.3 engine had a chain cam (olde worlde pushrod engine).

The 1.25 and 1.4 were belt cam, albeit with a 10 yr / 100,000 mile change interval.

Last edited by: DP on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 14:48
 Listing chain cam bangers - Stuu
I know the engine in my car is chain so presume some other Suzukis of similar age may well be. No MK1 Ignis was belt, all chain.

My wifes car has the chain-can engine from the MK1 Yaris, so seems fairly certain that early 1.3 Yaris will be chain, possible the 1.0, may need to check that.
Last edited by: FoR on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 14:09
 Listing chain cam bangers - bathtub tom
Why cam-chain?

Almeras have a reputation for stretching the chain and causing expensive problems.

Mazda 'B' series engines are cam-belt and non-interference.

Listing chain cam bangers - Meldrew
Apologies for thread drift! If a 4 to 5 year old is "forced" to go to a school 5 miles from home, due to council failure to provide anything suitable/nearer I would have thought they had to provide transport. I only mention this as, every morning when I go to pick up my newspaper, there is one group of children getting a bus for a 10 mile journey to school plus I see 2 taxis taking another 6 children to some other school(s), presumably
 Listing chain cam bangers - spamcan61
Certainly the case for me, we live about 4 miles from the 'local' comprehensive and the kids get a free bus.
Meldrew, I don't know. I've just been asked by a friend to suggest some bangers as a second car. Sorry I didn't manage to cover every angle in my OP. I did try. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the school issue at all.
 Listing chain cam bangers - Meldrew
No Problem! Just interjecting some possibly relevant info ie a car may not be the answer but it depends on the question Natch! :<)
Thanks bathtub, that's a good suggestion. Cambelt, non-interference would be good to include.

What does Mazda "B" series translate to in the real world? Which models and variants were fitted with that engine? I.e., is it Mazda 323 1.6, 1995-2002, something like that?
 Listing chain cam bangers - bathtub tom
>>What does Mazda "B" series translate to in the real world?

Anything from an MX5, back to anything still running, almost. Here you are: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B_engine

Oh look! There's KIA Pride in there. ;>)

Fiat Pandas fit into that category too.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 16:11
 Listing chain cam bangers - madf
ALL Toyota Yaris are chain cam... If the chain is noisy - or the cams or the tappets - lack of oil changes- run away or £150-£250 for parts alone.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 16:19
 Listing chain cam bangers - Skoda
Mazda 626, cheaper to insure than a supermini, from what I understand they're cheap to repair (do they have lots of ford bits or something?), belt rather than chain but non interference. There was a car mechanics mag issue on running costs for one of these and it was pretty positive all round, I remember squirrelling it away in my brain under important information ( that I will never use).
 Listing chain cam bangers - Stuu
My uncle has a '99 626. Not in the least looked after, done 150k, oil change once a year, never cleaned, only fixed if it goes wrong, which has in 4 years amounted to a tyre. Seriously good cars for those who dont care.
 Listing chain cam bangers - nice but dim
>> Mazda 626, cheaper to insure than a supermini, >>

From experience, the two Mazda's and indeed jap cars I had and have have been one or two groups higher than equivalent euro cars resulting in higher insurance premiums.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 11:21
 Listing chain cam bangers - teabelly
Other alternative is to find bangers with non interference engines so it matters not one jot whether the belt snaps as you just pop another one and carry on.

If he gets a sub 1000 banger he could also find one that has already had the belt done within the last year as the car will probably fall to bits before the belt needed changing again.
 Listing chain cam bangers - R.P.
Why not buy a Vauxhall and change the cam-belt ?
Friend is still looking, and I sent him this link today:

tinyurl.com/3k3z3mg

Looks a nice little runabout.

But hang on. That first picture. What's that in the background? Why it's an Alfa GTV, from around 1980 I'd wager. I think I'll go look at this Ibiza with my friend and just, you know, real casual like, see if the owner of the GTV is around and, well, I wonder how much he'd want for it.............
 Listing chain cam bangers - RattleandSmoke
The 1.3 Endura is not as bad as people make out, my dads has plenty of torque. The car is now on 93k, we have done 32k of that and there has been no engine problems whats so ever. I had to clean out the idle control valve but that is it.

Uses a bit of oil but its no worse than it was when we got it.

Another engine to consider is the 8V FIREs in a MK2 Punto, you will get a fairly modern car which doesn't rust and the labour for the cambelt is dirt cheap (around £150) and if it does snap it won't wreck your engine.

Listing chain cam bangers - Jacks
For the definitive list of cars with chain driven cams - may I refer the Honourable Member to the answer given previously by a man called Honest John (some of you may have heard of him)
I know it's heresey to mention him on here but here's the link

tinyurl.com/6ymd6vn

and for those who can't bear to go on the site here's THE list: HJ FAQ's No: 26

CHAIN CAM?: Which Engines Have Timing Chains or Gear Trains instead of Timing Belts?

ANSWER:
Alfa Romeo 159 and Brera petrol engines.

Audi: 1.2 Litre 4 cylinder TSI, 1.4TSI and 1.4TFSI, 1.6FSI petrol in A3, 1.8 non turbo petrol and TSI 160 in A4 B8, 2.0 litre EA888 TFSI in A3 and A4 B8, 2.7 and 3.0 V6 TDI, late V8s,

BMW: All models since 1993

Cadillac: All models

Chevrolet: Corvette, Epica 2.0 straight six petrol, Colorado pick up with I-TEQ engine, Spark 1.0 and 1.2, Colorado 2.5 and 3.0 diesels from 2007.

Chrysler: Neon, PT Cruiser, 4.0 straight six, 300C petrol and diesel.

Citroen: C1 1.0 petrol.

Daewoo Musso 2.9 diesel.

Daihatsu: YRV and Terios, Copen 1.3, Sirion 1.3.

FIAT: 1.3 litre Multijet diesel, Sedici 1.6 petrol, 500 875cc TwinAir.

Ford: Ka and Fiesta pushrod 1.3, Ka and Fiesta ohc 1.3, Ka 1.6, New Focus 1.6 100ps, C-Max 1.6 100ps and 1.8 125ps, all Mondeo 2001 - 2006, all Mondeo V6s, Mondeo 2.0 litre 4 cylinder petrol engines from 2007 including SCTI 200 and 240, Galaxy 2.3 and V6.

Honda: all Jazz, all 2006 Civic including 1.8i-VTEC, all 2.0 litre 4-cylinder, 2.2iCDTI diesel, 2.4 4-cylinder.

Hyundai: i10 1.0 and 1.2, i20 1.2, 1.4 petrol and 1.4 diesel, ix20 1.4, 1.6 and 12.6 diesel; i30 1.4 and 1.6 petrol, 1.6 diesel, ix35 1.7 diesel, 2.0 diesel, Santa Fe 2.2 diesel (from January 2010); Grandeur 3.3V6 petrol.

Isuzu: 2007 twin-cam 2.5 I-TEQ diesel in D-Max and Rodeo pick-ups.

Jaguar: all models except 2.7V6 diesel and 3.0V6 diesel.

Jeep Compass 2.2 diesel from 2011 (Mercedes diesel engine)

KIA: all 1.5 diesels in Cerato and Rio; 2.5 diesel in Sorento; Ce'ed 1.4 and 1.6 petrol, 1.6 diesel; 1.4 petrol, 1.6 petrol and 1.4 diesel in Venga; all engines in Optima, including 1.7 twin-turbo diesel; 1.7, 2.0 and 2.2 R Type diesels in Sportage, new Sorento and Sedona.

Lexus: IS250V6, IS220 diesel, RX300, RX400h, RX450h.

Mazda: all 2008 model Mazda 2 except diesel, all Mazda 3 except diesel, Mazda MX5 1.8 and 2.0 from 2005, Mazda 5 except diesel, all 2002 - 2008 Mazda 6 except diesel, all 2009 model Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 except diesel, Mazda 2.2 diesel.

Mercedes: all models including A Class.

MINI: all models including 1.4 diesel, and 1.6 N47 diesel from 2011, but not 2007-2010 1.6 diesel.

Mitsubishi: All Colts, petrol and diesel, Shogun and L200 2.8 and 3.2 diesels, ASX 1.8VVT diesel.

Nissan: all Primera petrol, all recent Micra, Almera, Primera models except Micra 1.5 diesel and older Primera 2.0 diesel, Qashqai 2.0 diesel, 2.0 petrol, X-Trail 2.2 diesel 2.0 petrol and 2.5 petrol and 2007 X-Trail 2.0 diesel, Navara, Pathfinder and Murano 2.5 diesel, Navara and Pathfinder 3.0V6 diesel, 350Z, 370Z.

Peugeot: 107 1.0 1.0 litre petrol, 207 2007 MY 1.6 120PS and 150PS, 308 1.6 petrol.

Perodua: MYVI 1.3.

Renault: Scenic and Megane 1.4TCE petrol, Scenic 2.0 diesel, Laguna 2.0 diesel, Laguna Coupe 2.0 diesel and 3.0V6 diesel.

SAAB: all petrol 4 cylinder engines and 2.2 diesel.

SEAT: 1.2 litre 3-cylinder petrol engine, 1.2 Litre 4 cylinder TSI, 1.4 litre TSI, 1.6 litre FSI,1.8 litre TSI 160, 2.0 litre EA888 TFSI and Alhambra V6.

SKODA: 1.2 litre 3-cylinder petrol engine, 1.2 Litre 4-cylinder TSI, 1.6 litre FSI, 1.4 litre TSI, 1.8 litre TSI 160, 2.0 litre EA888 TFSI.

Smart: All FourFours, petrol and diesel.

Subaru: flat-four 'Boxer' 2.0 litre diesel from 2008, Subaru H6 three litre petrol.

Suzuki: 1.0 litre, 1.2 and 1.3 petrol engines, SX4 1.6 petrol, Grand Vitara 2.4 petrol.

Ssangyong Musso 2.9 diesel.

Toyota: Aygo 1.0 petrol; IQ 1.0 petrol, 1.4 diesel; all 1.0, 1.3, 1.5 VVTi and 1.4D-4D Yaris; 1.5 Prius; 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 Corolla VVTi petrol and 1.4 D-4D; all Auris engines; 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 Avensis and Verso VVTi petrol, Avensis 2.0 and 2.2 diesel only from July 2006; 2.0 RAV-4 VVTi petrol, 2.2 RAV-4 diesel from 2006; LandCruiser LC 4.0 V6 petrol.

Vauxhall: Agila 1.0 12v, 1.2 16v, 1.3CDTI, Corsa 1.0 12v, 1.2 16v, 1.4 1,364cc petrol and petrol turbo, 1.3CDTI, DI 16v 1.7, 2.0 and 2.2 diesels, 2.2 petrol in Vectra and VX220, but not 2.2 Omega.

VW: 1.2 litre 3-cylinder petrol engine, 1.2 Litre 4-cylinder TSI, 1.4 Litre FSI and TSI and TFSI, 1.6 litre FSI, 1.8 litre TSI 160, 2.0 litre EA888 2.0TFSI from 2009, Golf VR5 and VR6, Sharan VR6, all Touareg, all Phaeton (later VW 2.5 5 cylinder diesels and 5.0 V10 diesels have gear train driven camshafts rather than belts or chains).
Brill, Jacks. Hadn't thought of looking there.
 Listing chain cam bangers - VxFan
>> 2.2 petrol in Vectra and VX220

And Astra & Zafira. As well as the 2.0 petrol turbo.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 13:35
>> >> 2.2 petrol in Vectra and VX220
>>
>> And Astra & Zafira. As well as the 2.0 petrol turbo.
>>
I'd rather stick with my cambelt drive 2 litre VXs than risk an early 2.2 chain cam, given their well documented lubrication problems!
...Looks a nice little runabout...

I had one of those.

Good, sturdy little car, with a surprisingly clever climate control system.

If the one in the link is as described, it should be a decent buy for £850.

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 13:23
It was a shed. Sounded like a diesel, rattling like a bottle of pills. Interior trashed, exterior poor.

Needless to say he's not buying it.

Would this have the famed Rover head gasket issue? Or was it resolved by that model year?

tinyurl.com/3mrxlzq
Well, friend likes the look of this Rover. I'm going to go down and check out the coolant level and give the cooling system the once over for leaks/signs of wear with him. Would it be advisable to request a coolant change and all new hoses before buying one of these cars?

Also, what are the signs that it might have had a head gasket replacement already? Any tell tales?
I think that's a Honda engine, not the hopeless K series, although I'm not 100% sure. Usual way to check for impending head gasket problems is to remove the coolant header tank cap, run engine up from cold and watch for air bubbles a sit warms up.

Seems a lot of money for an 7+ year old Rover to me, I'd much rather go for equivalent Focus.
/Astra etc.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 11 Aug 11 at 14:28
You won't find a 2004 (54) Focus round here for that money. Astras are, well, Vauxhalls.

This Rover is absolutely stuffed with kit and if it's a Honda engine, it looks good value and coming from a franchised dealer it'll have some worthwhile warranty.

Thanks for the HG advice. That'll come in handy.

I'm trying to convince him to put his 2k against this and finance the rest though:

www.tescocars.com/cars/kia/ceed/599202/kia-ceed-hatchback-16-gs-5dr/
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 11 Aug 11 at 14:35
>>
>> This Rover is absolutely stuffed with kit and if it's a Honda engine, it looks
>> good value and coming from a franchised dealer it'll have some worthwhile warranty.
>>
Must admit the toy list is pretty impressive, assuming they still work; no idea what spares availability is like for these.

If you're going to start eyeballing coolant tanks don't get too close, when I had HGF on an Omega the bubbling was so bad it actually started spitting hot coolant out the tank, which you wouldn't want in the eye. Moderate revs as it warms up should be enough to chow any issues.
Cheers, spam.
mmmmm...further web surfing gives some sites stating that only the automatic 1.6 is a Honda engine, the manual is a K series, in which case I would run a mile.

I'll see if I can find something somewhere definitive.

edit: this seems pretty categoric it's a K series, darn it:-

www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?enginekseriesf.htm
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 11 Aug 11 at 15:01
Balls. Thanks.
This fairly long thread from last year covers similar ground, think the 45 gets discussed in here somewhere:-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3735
 Listing chain cam bangers - nice but dim
If the Rover has its gearbox the opposite side to the engine i.g, as you look under bonnet the gearbox is on the left of the engine and the engine site far more to the right than normal then it's a Honda engine.
Another head gasket tip is to blip the throttle while the rad cap is off.

A fountain of water is a very bad sign.

Rover fitted an improved gasket to later cars, which cured the problem.

The linked car probably has the better gasket.

Thanks, Iffy. I thought that was the case. This one's about as late an example as there is.

Will check all cooling items very thoroughly though, insist on a decent warranty, tell him if he buys it he needs to check the coolant every week, and keep badgering him about getting that Kia Ceed.
...Will check all cooling items very thoroughly though...

That's all you can do, make sure it's warmed up before you do the blip test - the thermostat needs to be open.

You will know as well as I there is a limit to what your friend will get for £1,800 less some haggling.

The 45 drives nicely, so if it's in appropriate condition for the year, he could do a lot worse.

Yep, that's how I see it too. Wish he'd get the Ceed though, 4 years warranty remaining. Bargain, that is.

Their existing car is a 53 plate 1.6 Focus, which they've just paid off, so he's a bit reticent about getting finance again, hence the search for a cheapie.

In about 18 months I think I'll be looking for a 3 year old Ceed diesel auto to replace the Golf. Golf will be over 10 years old by then, and replacing it with something with 4 years warranty for about 8k will be tempting. Equivalent Golfs will be about 14k I reckon, no competiton really. Just have to get the missus over the image barrier............
Going back to the Rover, an extended test drive is another way to check overheating, but it needs to be about 30 miles.

The garage won't worry about the mileage as it has already done 71,000, but I would offer to put a fiver's worth in the tank.

Pricewise, go in at £1,500 - reasonable without being cheeky - and be prepared to do a deal at £1,650.

If this is a 1.6 K series engine you should chain your buyer to the gatepost and beat them heavily with stick saying

This.is.pain.this.is.what.you.get.from.a.75k.k.series.engine.

If it hasnt had HGF by now its just around the corner. If its had it already it just around the next corner.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 11 Aug 11 at 16:18
>>
>> If it hasnt had HGF by now its just around the corner. If its had
>> it already it just around the next corner.
>>
+1

According to wikipedia they had several goes at fixing it:-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_K-Series_engine

The bloke with the hat says you can get a guaranteed fix from one company at least:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/rover/45-1999/?section=bad

1800 quid is a bit much to gamble IMHO.
 Listing chain cam bangers - Mapmaker
I know you specified a chain cam... but you can put the magic word cambelt into the search box on autotrader and you get a belt-driven engine which has had a recent cambelt. Also try cam belt.

Best thing is, a car with a recent belt change is likely to have been generally well looked after - rather than the typical chain cam car which will have had "oil and filter change every 6 months, chuck the car away when" you get bored with it. (to misquote your OP.)
The car in the link is one owner, could be one careful owner, or one careless one.

More likely to be a careful one, careless ones don't tend to run cars from delivery to 70,000+ miles.

The car appears in excellent order, which backs up the careful owner theory.

The car is being retailed by a mainstream franchise dealer, who would routinely trade the rubbish part-exchanges and only retail the better ones.

Franchise dealers always charge - and get - a little more than non-franchise traders, so the price is about a right.

If the OP's friend wants a cheaper, four or five owner car, then he should go to a bombsite dealer or scan the local press.

Listing chain cam bangers - Avant
Alanovic, your friend needs to go back to thinking Japanese. Any £1,000 car is a gamble but Japanese cars if they have a service history are that much less of a gamble. The Yaris has been around since 1999 - go for the 1.3 which is lively and economical as well as reliable.

But ultimately, as I'm sure someone has already said (or should have), condition matters more at this end of the market than make and model.
 Listing chain cam bangers - madf
Agree with Avant - two Yarises (Yari?) in family.

Watch for rusty petrol feed pipe from filler to petrol tank. Exposed to crud from rear wheel. £30 + secondhand...And radiators start to go .. Cheap spares.
He's ruled out Yariseses and that class of car as too small for ferrying two children plus associated paraphernalia around the gaff. Wants something Focus sized. I'm trying to push the idea of a Corolla, but I think he's a bit image conscious (without wanting to let on about it).

Spotted an X plate Peugot 306 today on a forecourt on the way to work:

tinyurl.com/3ul4ypp
 Listing chain cam bangers - corax
>> but I think he's a bit image conscious (without wanting
>> to let on about it).

If you've only got a grand to spend, image goes out of the window.
Well, the hunt is over.

We went out yesterday morning to see what we could find and turned up a 1998 Focus 1.8 Zetec at an indie dealer. 96k miles, service history, met green, 5 door. Very clean and tidy in and out. Supplied with a full service, new cambelt, year's MOT and 3 months warranty for £1400. Which means he's effectively paying a grand for the car, which I think seems reasonable. No doubt others will think it's over the top, but the dealer has to make a profit somewhere. Seemed very straight on the test drive, no obvious worries anywhere, no rust and no leaks evident.

He's happy, his wife's happy, can't say fairer.

The Rover upthread was sold on Saturday. So dodged a potential bullet there. ;-)
Wow, £1,400 for a 13 year old car. Like WOW!!!

(I'm not sure how you think he's paying "effectively" £1,000, but anyway.)

Hope it lasts well.

>> (I'm not sure how you think he's paying "effectively" £1,000, but anyway.)

Well, if he bought the car privately for a grand or so, he'd need to spend 500 quid on a service, cambelt, and mot. And this way at least he's getting a couple of months peace of mind in the form of a warranty.

I don't think he could have done much better. We are in the Thames Valley, remember.
...I don't think he could have done much better...

Of course he couldn't, he's bought a Focus.

Serious point, they fetch goodish money, even at this age, because they are good.

The other makes which are cheaper are cheaper for a reason.

Not only that, he's already got a Focus (53 plate) which he's had for 5 years, loves it and knows about the model. So it's a fairly safe bet for him.

We would probably have plumped for an X plate 1.4 Peugeot 306 at £1500 quid, had it not been sold by the dealer just before we got there to view it. We were disappointed at that stage, but, as is often the case with these things, something better is usually just around the corner. I think a Focus is a better bet than a 306 at that sort of age.
...I think a Focus is a better bet than a 306 at that sort of age...

Agreed, an older Ford is generally a better proposition than other makes.

Dave TDCI has nothing but praise for his Mondeo.

We've not heard much from Pat about hers.

I don't know for sure why that is, but I'm prepared to bet it's because there's nothing to say.

>> ...I think a Focus is a better bet than a 306 at that sort of
>> age...
>>
>> Agreed, an older Ford is generally a better proposition than other makes.

You still have to be carefull tho, Ford or not, focus or not, there are some real sheds out there at that age to catch out the unwary.

>> You still have to be carefull tho

Aye, that's why we went for a garage sourced car with pre delivery service, new cambelt, warranty and a year's MOT. That's pretty careful. Can't imagine getting a (Focus sized) car for any less money than my friend paid with all those items listed here.

It may still turn out to be a shed, but I think we've a fair chance of success, given the above. I'm quietly confident.
It was "Wow, that's the market value for a 13 year old Focus." not "Wow Alanović was ripped off."

Funny old world when twice that sum will buy you twice as much car that's less than half that age.
As I said above MM, I tired to convince him that the real value to be had was a 2008 Kia Ceed with 22k miles for £5.6k.

But he wouldn't have it and decided to go for an older "cheapie". Hope he hasn't thrown the money away, time will tell.
 Listing chain cam bangers - The Melting Snowman
Nothing wrong with a cambelt - in fact it has certain advantages over a chain such as being quieter. The secret is to choose a model where it's easy to change.
I'd go for an Astra G (98-04 model) with the 1.6 8V lump. Tough as old boots, easy cambelt change. Infact everything is easy on those things. And they don't rust either. Someone we know has a T reg, absolutely immaculate and not a spot of rust anywhere. My four year old Focus has more rust on it... (although it's only a few spots)

Maybe the Astra is galvanised? Seems to have quite thick paint as well.
>>
>> Maybe the Astra is galvanised? Seems to have quite thick paint as well.
>>

Not sure, but SWMBO's 2001, 148,000 mile Zafira doesn't have any visible rust on it, despite the fact it gets washed about 3 times a year and the nearside in particular gets a regular scouring from local hedgerows.
 Listing chain cam bangers - VxFan
>> Maybe the Astra-G is galvanised? Seems to have quite thick paint as well.

It is.

Pre 1 Oct 2000 cars had a 12 yr anti perforation warranty from 1st registration.
From 1 Oct 2000 cars had a 6 yr anti perforation warranty from 1st registration.

Same dates apply to Zarifa too.
 Listing chain cam bangers - Lygonos
>> Well, if he bought the car privately for a grand or so, he'd need to spend 500 quid on a service, cambelt, and mot.

I would never, ever trust an indie to change a cambelt and 'fully service' a car I'd just bought from them.

Quick rub over the belt with some isopropyl alcohol, and an oil/filter change - easiest 500 notes ever.

Get the money off, do it yourself. Every time.
Latest Forum Posts