Motoring Discussion > An unusual load Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 15

An unusual load - Iffy
I saw an unusual load on the A1(M) yesterday.

It was a low loader carrying two artic tractors, loaded cab to cab.

Nothing unusual in that, but on the back of each tractor unit was a car.

One car was a Toyota Yaris, and the other car - visible in the linked pic - was a Citroen Picasso.

The Picasso was sitting on two pallets, so I'm guessing it was loaded using a heavy duty forklift.

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bLQCRlyhiyruMCmadlj7aS186lZ3DU1yXBzpbFw7DWI?feat=directlink
 An unusual load - bathtub tom
That picture looks like it was taken from the driver's seat. Whilst in motion?
 An unusual load - Pat
What a predictable question *shakes head*

The answer of course, is no, it was taken by my passenger.

Pat
 An unusual load - sooty123
>> What a predictable question *shakes head*
>>
>> The answer of course, is no, it was taken by my passenger.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Whilst sat on your lap? ;)
 An unusual load - Pat
Of course:)

Coffee and a fag in the other hand too, lorry drivers do it all the time!

Pat
 An unusual load - Iffy
...The answer of course, is no, it was taken by my passenger...

:)

Who, of course, is seven-years-old and was sitting unrestrained on my lap at the time.

Yes, bt, it was taken 'in motion'.

I was quite pleased with it.

I picked up the camera one-handed and just pressed the button, so the electronics of my little Nikon compact did a good job.

An unusual load - Dave_
I would have suggested this could be a load of recently purchased vehicles being taken home by a returning European trucker, except the truck in this photo is clearly a RHD Scania (you can tell by the mirrors - how sad am I?) and, on closer inspection, a pretty expensive model with an expensive registration number too.

It certainly shows ingenuity in maximising load volume utilisation though :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 10:45
 An unusual load - Iffy
I've no idea what that little lot would weigh, but I'm guessing next to nothing compared to what that rig could carry.

It was overtaking all the other lorries, as well as me, so must have been cruising at 60mph+

An unusual load - Dave_
>> I've no idea what that little lot would weigh

2x tractor units @ 7,500kgs each

2x cars @ 1,400kgs each

Plus 4,000kg for the trailer and 7,500kg for the unit at the front.

Total 29.3 tonnes. MAM likely to be 44 tonnes, but it's registered as a whopping great R620 so even at 44 tonnes it wouldn't flinch going up hills.

>> if the odd Trucker makes a few quid on the side by "load volume utilisation for cash"

I've seen a caravan sticking out the open doors at the back of an E. European trailer, the wrong way round, with a hi-vis waistcoat tied around the protruding towing hitch.
 An unusual load - Iffy
...Total 29.3 tonnes. MAM likely to be 44 tonnes, but it's registered as a whopping great R620 so even at 44 tonnes it wouldn't flinch going up hills...

Thanks for that, Dave.

It certainly looked like it had power in reserve, taking no time at all to pass the other lorries.

An unusual load - Zero
>> It certainly shows ingenuity in maximising load volume utilisation though :)

I have seen similar things before, and I have wondered if the odd Trucker makes a few quid on the side by "load volume utilisation for cash"

I have no idea if this is accurate or not, I am sure people will put me straight.

Edit, I guess the need to have a manifest precludes this.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 11:11
 An unusual load - BiggerBadderDave
"I have wondered if the odd Trucker makes a few quid on the side by "load volume utilisation for cash""

That's how I moved all my crap to Poland. Bunged a couple of hundred quid to a Polish trucker with an artic. Otherwise it's a quid a kilogram.
 An unusual load - Hard Cheese

>> That's how I moved all my crap to Poland. Bunged a couple of hundred quid to a Polish trucker with an artic.
>>

Has it arrived yet?

An unusual load - BiggerBadderDave
Yeah, perhaps it was a risky thing to do, thinking about it.

Turned out well though, unlike the post. I'm still waiting for my Dr Who dvds that my mam sent for Christmas '06.
 An unusual load - Pat
>>I have no idea if this is accurate or not, I am sure people will put me straight.<<

A man of your knowledge Z? ...wouldn't dream of it:)

Pat

An unusual load - Zero
Sigh.
Latest Forum Posts