Motoring Discussion > Importing aussie car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 52

Importing aussie car - Stuu
My sister is in the process of making a final decision on whether or not to come back to the UK, it seems likely, in the next 6 months.

She and her husband would very much like to bring their car over with them as its quite new and they love it, so putting aside the 'sell it there, buy another here' scenario, how complicated is it to do this?

I know shipping will cost abit, but what about making the car road legal?
How will they tax it as it is not a model sold over here so no emissions figures exist - is there a default tax band for such imports? Would it need anything aside from an MOT and registering?

Also wondered whether parts would be an issue - obviously body panels would be, but how about service items, the car is a Toyota Camry 2008 so presumably the parts are available from Japan ( tsunami aside ).

I want to furnish her with the facts before they make a decision. Money isnt much of an issue for them so the economics come secondary to practicalities.

Importing aussie car - R.P.
It's still almost feasible to consider driving it back....
 Importing aussie car - Zero
>> It's still almost feasible to consider driving it back....

Looking into this, the only fly in the ointment is the link from Aus to Asia,

As far as I can see you need to ship the motor on a transport ship from Sydney to Singapore 14 day journey, and they dont run a daily schedule!
NO idea of the cost, but its going to take 4 weeks on the high sea to get here

Will it need a single vehicle approval test from VOSA? as well as an MOT. It will pay road tax on the pre 2001 over 1598ccc basis.
 Importing aussie car - Old Navy
One thing to consider is those cars drink petrol, if it is an auto, and most are, it will be expensive to run here. Also insurance won't be "off the shelf". I agree it is a nice cruiser well suited to Australian roads, (I used one recently) not sure it is a good idea for the UK though.
They reckon on 34 mpg ON so not as thirsty as it might be, not sure what petrol is like over there, think its that bio stuff.

I wondered what with all these jap imports on the roads over here whether they would insure the same sort of car, esp with it being a similar spec to jap cars.

As I said, money isnt a major issue, they dont plan on using it for commuting, only as a runaround for my sister with her baby boy, so miles wont be high, maybe 7k a year.

Im assuming then Zero, the tax wont be massively high, somewhere around the £250 a year mark if that is indeed the case.

I did wonder about SVA, not sure whether there are any changes needed for UK roads from aussie spec, its RHD which is certainly in its favour from a practical point of view.

I told my sister they ont sell them here, she said, in typical style, 'They are stupid then arent they, its a great car'.

My feeling is she should sell it and buy something in exactly the same vein like a Hyundai Sonata/Kia Magentis or even an Avensis. Still, the lady isnt for turning, not easily anyway!
>> not
>> sure what petrol is like over there, t

Its cheap is what it is! She has big shock coming!
Perhaps but remember she used to run a Vitara petrol which didnt top 25 mpg in her hands, that wasnt so long ago, petrol was well north of £1 a litre even then, she knows what it is here now, but as I said, given her normal mileage, its not a biggie.
>> >> not
>> >> sure what petrol is like over there, t
>>
>> Its cheap is what it is! She has big shock coming!
>>

Very big shock!

The speedometer will have to be changed, the Aussies use Kilometres for speed and distance.
The hassle put her off in the end, so they are flogging it over there.

She is most irritated that they dont sell the new Camry over here though!
Sensible girl. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 27 Jul 11 at 10:05
 Importing aussie car - BiggerBadderDave
"Sensible girl. :-)"

Leaving Aus for the UK? She sounds like a nut job.
That thought crossed my excuse for a brain just after my post. :-)
Yeah, tell her just to put the car in storage, she'll be back there in no time.
They are moving to be near family. Originally they moved to Adelaide because my BIL's brother lived there, but he then decided he wanted to go back to India which left them with just an aunt and uncle but who are obviously more interested in their kids/grandkids than my lil nephew.

Home is where the heart is I guess. Looks like they may well go to Market Harborough ( as featured on TG! ), it suits my sisters requirements for 'her kind of people', tut tut shes such a snob!
Market Harborough is Posh?

Good Lord!
Well, compared to Corby....

Its actually more expensive than anywhere nearby, Welland Park area is especially nice has to be said, we often drive through there and dream, the park is lovely this time of year.
Get her to move to Uppingham.

Edit

Or Oundle
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Jul 11 at 10:27
 Importing aussie car - Harleyman
>> Get her to move to Uppingham.

>> Or Oundle
>>

Neither has anything to recommend them apart from the cachet of having a public school.

Market Harborough on the other hand is perfectly agreeable, has a main line station, reasonably good facilities and is within easy reach of some of the best countryside in the UK.

Also has an excellent rugby club.

If she wants to import a car that'll sell well in the UK, she could perhaps consider a Holden.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 21:29
Both are very nice places to live with a good sense of community, and attractive to boot.

ANd they have the advantage of being further away from Corby!
 Importing aussie car - -
>> ANd they have the advantage of being further away from Corby!
>>

Not as you can find the dividing line between the two, but Great Oakley is the place to live if you live in Corby but don't want to, apparently..:-)
Looks like she is settling possibly on Desborough atm.

We had to go to Corby the other day. Asda was like mutant land, its very weird, Im sure theres inter-breeding going on, its like 'ah so God DOES have a sense of humour!'.
 Importing aussie car - -
>> We had to go to Corby the other day. Asda was like mutant land,

Telford's like that, i used to pop in for brekky at one of the supermarkets quite often, shudder at the thought.

Importing aussie car - Alanovich
The only posh places north of Henley-on-Thames are certain parts of Edinburgh.
 Importing aussie car - 832ark
Probably going to be quite difficult as will need some sort of model report
 Importing aussie car - -
I doubt they'd dare sell the Camry here again, apart from badge seekers few would buy a small Lexus instead.
She is keen on the Sonata diesel auto, not many about mind you ( but she wont consider a Kia, they have a terrible rep in kangaroo land ).
She likes the GS Lexus but way too thirsty me thinks and the IS is a bit small, that said, the estate may do the trick, depends whats about at the time.
She has ruled out anything european unless it is as reliable as a Camry, does rather narrow the field.

I think she would be better off with some mid-sized MPV but I fear she may not like the look of them, I can just hear her telling me she does not want to drive a van...
Would pointing out the near identical nature of a Kia Magentis and a Hynudai Sonata be of any use? Probably not by the sounds of it.

Odd that someone with such seemingly high falutin' (sp?) attitudes is keen on a Hyundai.

Could she stretch to an Infiniti?
Well you see over there Hyundai seem to have a reputation thats better than Kia, in the Skoda/Audi mould we have here, its just marketing of course, but shes a blooming snob and muggins here, like always will be tasked with finding her a car that is perfect and wont ever ever ever go wrong. Doesnt help that I managed that with her Vitara, so now she thinks its possible regarless of her list of wants. Sisters, who'd have em!

They are basically going to sell their Camry, which should make around £10k and they want something similar age/miles over here and get something with that money, so thats 3-4 years old, up to 35k, must have huge boot, auto and as reliable as a Camry. Not much then...
 Importing aussie car - Fenlander
Mondeo it is then...
Variable quality having read owners reports, CBC etc, id get shot if she got a duff one and with my track record... :-)
Im thinking Forester/Legacy actually, I might be safe with one of those, Legacy isnt too pricey, presume its reasonably reliable, possibly Volvo of some sort maybe.
Last edited by: FoR on Wed 27 Jul 11 at 15:07
 Importing aussie car - Boxsterboy
Honda Accord? Plenty to chose from.
 Importing aussie car - sooty123
How about an Avensis or a Verso? Or a Mazda 6?
Get a Renault Laguna, diesel.

As least you know she will never bother you again.
Or leave you anything in her will come to that.
 Importing aussie car - Fenlander
Re: Mondeo
>>>Variable quality having read owners reports, CBC etc

That's the problem with reading stuff on the net.... you can miss out on the best cars.
Given the sheer number out there, it must be the most consistent quality going.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Jul 11 at 16:13
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201129403643182

Honda CRV
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201128402539821
Vulva V50 Sportwagon
V50 is a bit small, I was thinking more V70, have you seen just how huge the current Camry is? The latest ones are rather big and she said in no uncertain terms can it be smaller, she is used to a big comfy 2.4 auto so I think a 1.8 would be a stretch.

They had a CRV and it was written off with structural rust, so I cant see them ever having one again, its a sore point.

She likes the look of the Avensis, ive shown her one of them, Mazda 6 seems to have a few build niggles, Honda is possibility although she may not like the look of it, ditto the Verso, she is extremely particular and Im bearing in mind that the car they have now, they really like it alot, so of course want something of similar nature - a 5-Series would be a waste as they potter about, mainly with their 7 month old in the back.

So far I know for sure ill show her Subarus, the Sonata and an Avensis, I spoke to her an hour ago and she said no Ford or Vauxhall, nor Chevrolet for that matter.

Terribly good fun this is going to be.
 Importing aussie car - Suppose
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201128402539821
>> Vulva V50 Sportwagon
>>

Vulva? Fruedian?

>> Terribly good fun this is going to be.
>>
As for yet another "What If" imaginary fishing expedition by Stu, I won't join in the terrible fun.

Last edited by: Suppose on Wed 27 Jul 11 at 17:30
Ill just post a piccy when shes bought it :-)
Legacy is a brillant call, and also the Honda Legend sounds the job here.
Like dis:

tinyurl.com/3czfmxv

Mmm.
yer, that'll do nicely guv.
You never really wanted that Lancer, did you?

Where's your phone...............
Nobody really wants a Lancer, I think he wore the wrong glasses that day and thought he was buying a Focus :-)
>> Nobody really wants a Lancer, I think he wore the wrong glasses that day and
>> thought he was buying a Focus :-)

Rubbish, it was a moment of rare visual clarity.

Ok, it wasn't, it was a head driven purchase with my heart locked in a box.
No, I never wanted the lancer. It met requirements.

I wanted a Galant estate.
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201129405486987

In drug dealer black with privacy glass.
 Importing aussie car - -
>> In drug dealer black with privacy glass.
>>

That Momo steering wheel looks like it lacks airbag.

The Galant i always liked, and latest Lancers, feel built to last and not just for showroom appeal though that's only my take.

If only Mitsi dealers weren't such a miserable bunch of blighters.

>> If only Mitsi dealers weren't such a miserable bunch of blighters.

Not sure the ones on the spares counter are like that, but then I cant see their faces behind the black mask and pistol. when you ring the bell it plays "Stand and Deliver"
Hang on. Big boot, £10k, you say?

tinyurl.com/3k8ljo6
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 29 Jul 11 at 11:04
 Importing aussie car - idle_chatterer
Why would you import your car ? Sell it and move on.....
Latest Forum Posts