Motoring Discussion > WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 19

WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - VxFan
What Car has released their Reliability survey 2011, and the best and worst of these vehicles will not come as a shock to most. OK, the winners are a mystery, especially after the number of recalls that has been going on with that company over the past couple of years. The research was done in conjunction with Warranty Direct, as they have access to what car have been repaired the most.

Topping the list are Japanese and Korean brands, with the Honda coming in at number 1. Their most reliable model was the 98–06 HR-V and the worst was the 99-02 Accord. Second was Toyota, the 02-07 Corolla was their best model, and the 00-07 MRZ the worst. Toyota owned Lexus came in third out of 35, with 05 to date IS being the better of their range and the worst is the 00-03 RX.

tinyurl.com/4y8vhbt (links to www.product-reviews.net)

Full list:
1. Honda
2. Toyota
=3. Lexus, Mitsubishi & Suzuki
6. Mazda
7. Subaru
8. Hyundai
9. Kia
10. Nissan
11. Daewoo
12. Skoda
13. Smart
14. Ford
15. Citroen
16. Porsche
17. Fiat
18. Mini
19. Peugeot
20. VW
21. BMW
22. Rover
23. Volvo
24. Audi
25. Jaguar
26. Seat
27. Mercedes-Benz
28. Vauxhall
29. MG
30. Chrysler
31. Jeep
32. Saab
33. Renault
34. Alfa Romeo
35. Land Rover

tinyurl.com/3vsfewa (links to WhatCar)
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - DP
This seems to make a lot more sense than many of these surveys, as most of the brands sharing platforms / engines are relatively close to each other.

Interesting to see Ford and PSA group cars beating the "solidly engineered" German marques too.

As always, I wanted to see Alfa do better. And was disappointed. :-(
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Alanovich
Daewoo is probably way up there because I imagine people scrap them when anything goes pop, rather than claiming through Warranty Direct.
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - madf
After 2005, Daewoo have been badged Chrysler...

Tough old things...
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Old Navy
>> After 2005, Daewoo have been badged Chrysler...
>>
>> Tough old things...
>>

Are you sure you don't mean Chevrolet?
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - RattleandSmoke
A decent showing for FIAT, but they always have done well in Warranty Direct surveys. I suspect power steering motors were the most claimed thing on FIATs.

WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - madf
>> >> After 2005, Daewoo have been badged Chrysler...
>> >>
>> >> Tough old things...
>> >>
>>
>> Are you sure you don't mean Chevrolet?
>>

OOOPS.
Thanks ON.. Decrepitude and old age I guess...
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Stuu
Pretty good showing for Citroen all things considered, especially compared to Renault.
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Boxsterboy
Land Rover get the wooden spoon. Again. Will they ever improve?

All the frothy reports in the motoring press of the Range Rover Evoque conveniently ignore this.
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Lygonos
I believe the latest Freelander was their best model, so maybe some vague headway.

WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Zero
Thats like saying Hitler was good to his dog.
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Londoner
>> I believe the latest Freelander was their best model, so maybe some vague headway.
>>
True - but what JLR will be hoping for is some "Vogue" headway.
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Mapmaker
>>OK, the winners are a mystery, especially after the number of recalls that has been
>>going on with that company over the past couple of years. The research was done in >>conjunction with Warranty Direct

No mystery. WD record what repairs they pay for. Manufacturer recalls aren't breakdowns, or repairs, or paid for by WD.

Moreover, I suggest that Japanese car manufacturers are more likely than Western to recall cars. Hence the cars become more reliable.
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - mikeyb

>> Moreover, I suggest that Japanese car manufacturers are more likely than Western to recall cars.
>> Hence the cars become more reliable.
>>

Dont recall Toyota being to keen on recalls until the pressure mounted
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - Auristocrat
Like many manufacturers Toyota will recall cars when problems have been properly identified.
In the US Toyota experienced three main issues - floor mats getting trapped under the pedals, the 'sticky' accelerator pedal, and suspicion that the electronic throttle system was faulty.

The floor mats issue was restricted to the US - European Toyotas have plastic fittings which secure the driver's mat to the carpet.

Toyota use accelerator pedals manufactured by two companies - Denso (Japanese) and CTS Corporation (US). The pedal assemblies made by CTS Corp caused the issues, and the worldwide recall on the CTS assemblies reduced play in the pedal by the fitment of a shim. My 2009 Auris was modified in this way in March 2010 - no problem with the accelerator pedal has been experienced either before or after the recall. Compensation for the inconvenience of getting the recall done was a cheque for £ 25 from Toyota and a free set of mats from the dealer.

As regards the electronic throttle system, there was no real evidence to show what the problem, if any, was, and the US Government instigated an investigation into crashes, etc. The findings were:
"On February 8, 2011, the NHTSA, in collaboration with NASA, released its findings into the investigation on the Toyota drive-by-wire throttle system. After a 10 month search, NASA and NHTSA scientists found no electronic defect in Toyota vehicles. Driver error or pedal misapplication was found responsible for most of the incidents. The report ended stating, "Our conclusion is Toyota's problems were mechanical, not electrical. This included sticking accelerator pedals, and pedals caught under floor mats."

The investigation examined the ‘black box’ recorders on 58 of the affected vehicles involving 93 deaths. The findings suggest that electronics were not to blame and that drivers were simply pressing the accelerator instead of the brake.
In 35 of the 58 cases the data showed the brakes had not been applied, suggesting the wrong pedal was pressed.
In just 14 instances there were signs the brakes had been pressed and in nine cases they were hit ‘late in the crash sequence’.
One recorder showed that both the brake and accelerator pedals had been pressed

The issue was similar to that experienced by Audi in the 1980's - with the Audi 5000. Audi blamed the drivers, and this almost wiped them out in the US.
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Fri 29 Jul 11 at 09:42
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - -
Just wondered.

Is this survey compiled from claims made to WD only.

If so they could be entirely meaningless to non customers of WD, is this the result of claims honoured?, if not the claims figures mentioned are only estimates or could be figures plucked from the air.

Some buyers will not use WD or any other warranty insurance due to distrust of the industry, are non warranty buyers repair costs added in here, if so who collates the info and where from.

WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - -
Do a search for JD Power UK surveys, they're all on What Car.

A brief look through (2008) shows me the Picanto to be not so highly rated with only average reliability unlike it's WD glowing report, interstingly Aygo/C1/107 seems to be consistently high every year.
Does this mean Picanto owners didn't reply to JD Power or if so only the unhappy ones, or do Picanto owners buy cover from WD.

Again this is only the results of those who completed the surveys, so like all surveys the answers will be skewed and possibly misleading.

Statistics, hmmph,
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - idle_chatterer
How can Honda do so well if you see the separate thread on the Civic FN3 ?

I'd accept that the majority of other Honda models are probably peerless but I'd bet that a large proportion of their sales have been Civic FN/FK3s over the past few years so should have impacted any reliability stats ?

Therefore I have to conclude that this reliability data refers to the cost and frequency of non-manufacturer warrantee claims, in which case I wonder where all those frustrated owners went for repairs ?
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - mikeyb
I wonder how many claims they get for Hyundai and Kia given the extended warranties they are offered with?
 WhatCar Reliability Survey 2011 - movilogo
That's my question as well. I don't think anyone needs WD cover when their cars are still under manufacturers' warranty.

That means Kia and Hyundai cars' repairs claimed via WD must be for older cars compared to other car makers.

That means the survey sample was biased.

I also don't know what sort of weightage factors are applied based on sampling size. Some brands have typically very few buyers.
Latest Forum Posts