Motoring Discussion > Good legal advice? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 7

Good legal advice? - Rudedog
OK, I've just been listening to a legal hour on a London radio station and I'm sure a caller has been given the wrong info regarding a used car sale.

The caller has bought a car from a dealer and unfortunately it has developed a fault with the gearbox, now the lawyer has said that he has 'done his money' under the 'buyer beware' thought.

I thought you now got a years warrantee when buying from a dealer, is that not correct and he's been given duff advice.
 Good legal advice? - R.P.
www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm#you_bought_the_vehicle_from_a_dealer

Those are the buyers rights.
 Good legal advice? - Dutchie
Usefull information R.P.
 Good legal advice? - Clk Sec
The "You discover that the vehicle is a write-off" paragraph will ensure that I never again buy a used car.

Thanks, R.P.

Good legal advice? - madf
ANyone who buys a used car and does not do an HPI check... is a numpty...
 Good legal advice? - RattleandSmoke
It depends so much on the car itself I believe. If a dealer sells you a £250 Fiesta and then the buyer takes the dealer to court saying the engine is worn, then the courts will laugh it out of the court room. But if the buyer spend £6k on a Fiesta to find the piston rings are worn they will have a lot more rights.

I remember from when I did a lot of research on this topic there are a lot of grey areas, but generally the more the buyer spends the more rights they have to expect the car to be in good condition.

Good legal advice? - R.P.
Spot on Rats.
 Good legal advice? - Iffy
...Spot on Rats...

Agreed.

If only he could apply the same clear thinking to oil.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 21:27
Latest Forum Posts