Motoring Discussion > Lambo in the Tunnel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 22

Lambo in the Tunnel - BobbyG
Ok so here is a video of a Lambo Gallardo owner taking his car through the newly opened Hindhead Tunnel so he could listen to the sound of the engine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-hEcpM568&feature=youtu.be

Do you think

a. what an idiot who is full of himself
b. well done to someone who loves the sound of this engine and wants to drive it rather than it sitting polished in a garage

and as a follow up, if you were one of the other cars in the tunnel would you
a. think what an idiot who is full of himself
b. turn down the music, open the window and listen to the engine?
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Dave_
>> if you were one of the other cars in the tunnel would you

b. turn down the music, open the window and listen to the engine

Definitely b.

In fact I frequently annoy/embarrass my daughter by opening the window to listen to juicy cars. Their drivers usually seem to spot me doing this and put on a little show for me too :)
 Lambo in the Tunnel - sooty123
b for both, sounds great to me, would open the windows and give it a damn good listening to :)
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Chas
Definately b as a follow up. My wife will mutter something like "it needs a new exhaust" although I've tried to explain the extreme difference between a chavved up Corsa exhaust and a thundering V8/12.

At the Rockingham circuit if you've been through the tunnel under the track it's even known as the "Exhaust Appreciation Tunnel" on a sign!
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Fullchat
It would have been rude not to :-)
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Hard Cheese

I would occasionally wind the Focus ST windows whilst going through tunnels, sharp acceleration souned good as did a bit of popping and banging on the over run.

Likewise the current ZRX and the old ZX7R both fitted with Akrapovic exhausts sound(ed) good in tunnels ...

Lambo in the Tunnel - Skoda
definitely b. on both counts

I love high revving engines, it's intoxicating, even the 4 pot in the Integra Type R sounds great at 9k rpm+

I'd have thought by this day and age we could have some artificial stimulant using the likes of the sound of an F1 car. Maybe a massage cushion type thing that convincingly vibrates through your chest with some headphones to finish the effect.
 Lambo in the Tunnel - BobbyG
Think I saw recently some gadget that plugs into the cigarette lighter and replicates some F1 type sounds?

Maybe not quite the same....
 Lambo in the Tunnel - VxFan
Agreed, b for both.

Unless it was the blue 'Lambo' shown on Police Interceptors Monday night, which was actually an MR2 with a body kit.
 Lambo in the Tunnel - zookeeper
or this alternative

www.turbowhistler.net/how-nitrous-oxide-works/index.htm
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Bigtee
Dipping clutch and revving o heck what a plonk.

Though sounded good would have been better to take it through at full bore.
 Lambo in the Tunnel - R.P.
I have have happily admitted to whazzing through the Conwy Tunnel at $£ mph from around an entry speed of 30 or so on the VFR800 I had for a while, that VTEC going on the cam didn't half howl....

d !
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Zero
>> I have have happily admitted to whazzing through the Conwy Tunnel at $£ mph from
>> around an entry speed of 30 or so on the VFR800 I had for a
>> while, that VTEC going on the cam didn't half howl....

As it happens I went through the Conwy Tunnel at nearly the same time as a Ferrari 599 GTB, not only did I wind the window down and turn down the radio, I slowed down so he could burble past.

The best tho is some Ferrari driving bloke In Stamford, who blatts around the old town in the evenings in low gear bouncing the sound off the old houses.
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Armel Coussine
>> Dipping clutch and revving o heck what a plonk.

Agreed Bigtee, absolutely. I found it very annoying. A couple of nice downchanges followed by a good whang of acceleration would have been far more dignified and less, well, inelegant.

I'm afraid though that going through that tunnel at 'full bore' in that car might have been risky in more ways than one. They aren't very sensible road vehicles really. No point in them at all if you are going to be wimpishly law-abiding, and they are far too capable - and far too noticeable - for habitual stretchers of the legal envelope to be safe from the law in them.

'True supercars are just a vulgar waste of money for nouveu riche poseurs'. Discuss.
You're probably right, so that makes a nice little usuable pocket rocket like an M3 or M5 the business, you can go shopping in it and make people's ears in the tunnel on the way home.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 29 Jul 11 at 19:06
 Lambo in the Tunnel - Runfer D'Hills
I've always maintained there's more real life fun to be had, on the road anyway, in a lower powered car with a good chassis. You can drive the gonads off it without over exposing yourself to risk of loss of life, limb or licence.
As previously stated here and elsewhere, the MX5 might be the best all round compromise, between affordability, fun and a generally stealthy approach to fun.
Aye maybe right ( if you discount Westfields that is... ) Permanent grin factor with those.. Fairly embarrassing too sometimes mind. Most people quite clearly think you're a twonk when you drive one but somehow at the time it really doesn't matter, you're too busy being happy.
Shabby rat look Audi RS4 with expensive extra-quiet exhaust system. Or a lot of similarly toned-down rockets in mufti... The choice is fairly wide. I like the look of the Porsche Panamera (so ugly some would say that anyone seeing one will forget it on purpose as soon as possible and not remember it) but it's a tiny bit dear.

In the real world I was very happy driving bog standard but properly tuned Skoda Estelles. I went faster than most people in them too. I was one of the big psychic shocks of Sussex and Surrey to many a smug driver of far more capable machinery. You try to show them how it's done, but most of the ones who don't know already will never learn.
A vehicle's and indeed it's driver's ability to safely carry and maintain speed through corners is the key to rapid progress on open roads. More or less anything can now cruise at well in excess of national speed limits so really it's no longer about straight line top speed but far more about ability to change direction without scrubbing off too much speed while doing so.
 Lambo in the Tunnel - legacylad
Someone I know (a friend from years back who advised me on the sense of buying a 330) drives a Cobra.
He doesn't need tunnels.
And his company car is a 335.
Lucky sod.
Actually, not lucky. He has worked damned hard for what he has and I begrudge him not.
>> Lucky sod.

Heh heh... he is, I must admit.

>> Actually, not lucky.

Yes he is, on one level anyway. A lot of people work their guts out and still can't afford Cobras and Ferraris. Not everyone is as idle as I am.
My neighbour has a Cobra and a Fireblade, a new company car every 6 months and is a test engineer / driver for Bentley. He's good looking, has a good looking wife, is clearly very well paid and he's German. Most people can find at least one reason to dislike him but he's ok really.

:-)
Latest Forum Posts