Motoring Discussion > cyclist on the road. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 9

cyclist on the road. - Dutchie
www.autojunk.nl/fotos/verkeers-test/17052/1

Would you overtake her? :) Queston as part of the driving test.
 cyclist on the road. - Robin O'Reliant
Looks like an insurance scam to me, she'll suddenly slam on the brakes so you rear end her.

My no-claims bonus would be a small price to pay...
 cyclist on the road. - Runfer D'Hills
Many British cyclists would find it strange to have the front brake lever positioned on the left side of the bars . This often catches out the unwary tourist.
Yeah keep a eye on them brakes.
 cyclist on the road. - Alastairw
Of course this is irrelevant in Britain, as most cyclists I come across are on the pavement. As I shout after them 'The clue is in the title, its a FOOT path' .

The shouting makes me feel better, but has no effect on their behaviour.
 cyclist on the road. - Ian (Cape Town)
Lycrans...
Our local council has sopent squillions building a dedicated bus lane rapid-transport system, as well as cycling lanes. What do the mushroom-heads do? Continue to cycle on the main roads, and skip traffic lights.
When will these morons realise that no matter who is right, and who is wrong, they are the guys who'll end up dead/disabled/comatose in the event of a collision?
 cyclist on the road. - Slidingpillar
As a cyclist, many cycle lanes round here are dangerous to use. Nor is their use compulsory thank heavens.

Quite a lot of them involve traversing a slope at an angle. OK on two wheels, but can be lethal on three. Then there is the issue of punctures. Quite often the debris accumulates in the cycle lane.

There are sensible cycle lanes, I've used some in London. As for skipping red lights, I don't.
Shouldn't the council keep these cycle lanes clear of debris?

Or is that to much to ask.Or do cyclist create the rubbish on the cycle lane in the first place.
 cyclist on the road. - WillDeBeest
Don't think it's the cyclists' fault, Dutchie; most of it is either dropped by pedestrians or thrown from cars. But the main menace is parked cars. I'd like to see roadside cycle lanes marked with a kerb rather than a painted line, but that wouldn't earn the councils any more kilometres towards their cycle lane target so it's unlikely to happen.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 30 Jul 11 at 10:09
 cyclist on the road. - Robin O'Reliant
Most cycle lanes are installed to fill the council's box ticking exercise. They are often dangerous and unusable but enable the local Borough of Political Correctness to boast how green they are because they have provided XX miles if the things.
Latest Forum Posts