Motoring Discussion > WARNING Master Plan for Parking Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 21

WARNING Master Plan for Parking - zippy
As seen in HJ's article in the Telegraph, the British Parking Association want the registered keepers to be responsible for all parking infringements. They are now lobbying Parliament.

I think this is a terrible idea as it is these parking companies that charge £50 upwards for staying a few minutes over time in supermarket car parks etc.

A copy of their Master Plan - their words is here:

tinyurl.com/3vvd9nn

(PDF)

"We want to see legislation to provide for universal keeper liability for parking charges in all
circumstances."

Talk and write to your MP now!

WARNING Master Plan for Parking - SteelSpark
>> the British Parking Association want the registered
>> keepers to be responsible for all parking infringements. They are now lobbying Parliament.

This "Master Plan" is just a load of nonsense. People lobby for all kinds of things all the time, it doesn't mean that they are ever going to be enacted.

They have to be seen to be doing something for their membership payments.

>> Talk and write to your MP now!

Feel free, but I wouldn't bother until there is actually some suggestion that it is being taken seriously.

Far better to write to them about something that is actually going to be implemented, or something that you want to see implemented, perhaps prison sentences for the directors of companies that try to extort money from people who don't know their legal rights, by pretending that the invoices they send out have to be paid.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Sun 31 Jul 11 at 14:49
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Dwight Van Driver
The wheels are already grinding.

Before the BigHouse is Bill HC 146 (Protections of Fredom Bill - Sect 59 and Scd 4) that will make Reg Keeper responsible for ALL parking offences where the driver is not identified.

Said to be law before 2012.

dvd
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Armel Coussine
Exemption presumably if car has been reported stolen prior to the offence? One would think so.

Apart from that, it seems quite a good idea. Perhaps it should apply to all other road offences too. It would prevent anyway certain forms of wriggling out. And make people careful about who they lent their jalopies to as well.
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Zero
>> The wheels are already grinding.
>>
>> Before the BigHouse is Bill HC 146 (Protections of Fredom Bill - Sect 59 and
>> Scd 4) that will make Reg Keeper responsible for ALL parking offences where the driver
>> is not identified.
>>
>> Said to be law before 2012.
>>
>> dvd
EXCEPT overstaying your welcome in Tecoburysons is not an OFFENSE!
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Stuartli
Isn't this suggestion earlier this year about motorists being responsible in any accidents involving a cyclist very similar?

tinyurl.com/3tnls9k
>> >> Before the BigHouse is Bill HC 146 (Protections of Fredom Bill - Sect 59
>> and
>> >> Scd 4) that will make Reg Keeper responsible for ALL parking offences where the
>> driver
>> >> is not identified.
>> EXCEPT overstaying your welcome in Tecoburysons is not an OFFENSE!

Yeah, presumably this is to prevent the situation where the keeper is legally required to say who was driving, but claims not to be able to.

Very different to the situation with private parking companies, which is only a contractual matter, and where the keeper doesn't have to say anything.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Sun 31 Jul 11 at 19:39
>> Yeah, presumably this is to prevent the situation where the keeper is legally required to
>> say who was driving, but claims not to be able to.
>>
>> Very different to the situation with private parking companies, which is only a contractual matter,
>> and where the keeper doesn't have to say anything.

Hmmm...or maybe not.

I have a look at it (it's Section 56 BTW), and it does seem to be specifically for private parking firms.

www.statewatch.org/news/2011/feb/uk-protection-of-freedom-bill.pdf

Also, some discussion here:

forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=59039

Write to your MP! :)
>>>>>EXCEPT overstaying your welcome in Tecoburysons is not an OFFENSE! <<<<<

zERO : I would say that Schedule 4 (1c) (3) sAYS THEY CAN...

DVD
Ah but you said it was an OFFENCE.

It cant be a parking Offence, because the private parking has not been authorised by the correct authority, but it is civil recovery of unpaid fees/breach of contract.
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Iffy
As a refusenik of two private tickets, I'm not keen on this proposed legislation.

But the scam parking companies still have significant hurdles to cross.

It's still from certain that a driver can be said to have accepted the terms of a contract simply because he drove past a sign on the way into the car park.

Then there's unfair contract terms.

Is it fair to say parking is free for two hours, but £80 for a few minutes over?

Important to remember parking remains a civil matter, and civil courts do not impose fines or punishments, they only decide damages.

The damages caused to the landlord by an overstaying parker are demonstrably minimal.

Even if the car park is full, about the best the landlord can say is the overstayer prevented me offering parking to another driver, but since that other driver would be parking for free, there are still no damages.

>>>>Ah but you said it was an OFFENCE.<<<<<

Zero: The Concise Oxford Dictionary

Offence: transgression, misdeameanour , illegal act.......

30 -15?
dvd
EXACTLY

ILLEGAL Violation of law or governmental regulations
TRANSGRESSION A violation of a law
MISDEAMEANOUR A misdeed, Law. A criminal offense

Private parking enforcement is not a law or regulation.I don't see breach of contract there? Its still a civil matter. While the parking company may take you to court, its terms and conditions are still not enforceable. They can not, in law, hit you with punitive charges.

30 all

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Aug 11 at 14:39
Anyway, iffy will test this for us in court.
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Bill Payer
This was some kind of cencession that was given (quite, why, I don't know) to get rid of clamping.
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - zippy
Petition here:

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/6342
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Dutchie
I have signed the petition zippy.
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Old Navy
Has clamping been banned in England yet?
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Meldrew
Less than 1500 signatures and 2 months to go. This is not going well! How many signatures are needed? did I see 100,000 mentioned?
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Londoner
I signed the petition, but it took lots of attempts before I could recognize any of the words that I was supposed to type in for verification purposes.

I understand the principle behind verification, but it's a bit of a liberty presenting us with unreadable tosh. (We had a thread where this was discussed, IIRC)
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - -
No problem let them do it.

My answer...

Sit at home nice and warm, feet up, cup of tea or glass of favourite tipple beside you.

Shop on the net, get it delivered.

Let the rip off retail parks, service areas etc go the same way as the town centres, when they've chased all the solvent customer away, like some anti car councils have done, and they have only the penniless usual suspects hanging about in their centres they'll get the message.

Don't play their game, think differently.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 11:59
 WARNING Master Plan for Parking - Iffy
Most members will know I have 'previous' for not paying scam tickets.

But my policy is to avoid getting them, if possible.

Not had one for more than a year, which reminds me, a small update is called for....

Latest Forum Posts