Motoring Discussion > MOT brake test of cars with CVT Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 6

MOT brake test of cars with CVT - bathtub tom
Chatting to my MOT tester he told me they have to get the Tapley meter out to test the brakes of CVT equipped motors. I can understand it with something like the old Dafs that had no diff and relied on 'belt slip'. Turning just one wheel could put quite a strain on things.

I assume current CVTs have diffs, so why not use the rolling road?
 MOT brake test of cars with CVT - Aretas
I feel sure my A4 with a CVT is tested on a rolling road because of the comment the tester made last time. He asked if I had noticed a slight vibration when braking, and when I said I hadn't he commented that it could have been dirt on the roller.
 MOT brake test of cars with CVT - bathtub tom
>>if I had noticed a slight vibration when braking

Perhaps there is a directive and he's not following it?
 MOT brake test of cars with CVT - Bellboy
ive never had a problem taking cvt cars for mot"s on the rolling road
however ive always been careful that the mot tester doesnt get them stuck in the rollers,especially when test finished and in reverse (old fiestas especially)
 MOT brake test of cars with CVT - Pat
I don't know whether this has anything to do with the above, but when we took the CRV for it's service and MOT lastApril we were told this had to be done with the old Tapley meter too.

Pat
 MOT brake test of cars with CVT - jc2
Cars with permanent 4wd or "automatic" 4wd need to use a brake meter as do three wheelers for the single wheel and presumably Renault 4 which has different wheelbases side to side.
 MOT brake test of cars with CVT - Number_Cruncher
For Renault 4s, many older brake roller testers had one sliding pair of rollers to accommodate the odd wheelbase problem. I think that more modern ones don't bother any more.

Latest Forum Posts