Motoring Discussion > Unmarked police convoy on M25. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 11

Unmarked police convoy on M25. - henry k
Yesterday afternoon about 17:30 between J8 and J9 of the M25, going towards Heathrow I was passed by a tight convoy of five police vehicles but not the VIP type often seen.

The traffic was quite light and I estimate they were doing about 80mph. They were all unmarked but had their blues on with a few minutes behind yet another similar vehicle apparentlly was trying to join the queue.

To me the unusual aspects were that they were non high speed, large type saloons / 4x4s but three were Transit type vans and the cars were non descript. None had blacked out windows and none were full of the lads.

I know there could be a host of reasons for the convoy from late for tea to a Heathrow special call but has anyone any other info of "events" in the region that might be the reason for the convoy ?
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - Meldrew
Delivering £300 million of seized cocaine to a secure storage facility at LHR?
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - Woodster
Yo wouldn't honestly expect to see the reason discussed on here, would you? If it was, then all the experts would appear to give their verdict on whether it was justified or not. Stick to the 'late for tea' theory!
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - Zero
But clearly if its not worthy of speculation, then its use is not justifed!
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - Iffy
I recall what I think was a deliberately false, or at least misleading, traffic report on Capital FM.

On the day the Queen was due to open a new terminal at Stansted airport, they reported delays on the M25 through Hertfordshire because of a royal or VIP convoy.

That will be Her Majesty on the way to the airport, I and probably thousands of others, thought.

Except it wasn't, because she went by train from Liverpool Street.

The only reason I know that is because I happened to be at the station half an hour after hearing the report.

Unmarked police convoy on M25. - rtj70
There still might have been a convoy of vehicles on the way though. Just that she wasn't in it.
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - R.P.
I assumed that despite rolling up on the train, she transferred to a motor when she got there...as Rob says all the associated security and flunkeys would probably go by car as well.
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - rtj70
And the convoy was a good decoy for security reasons.
They probably dispatched three queens, only one was the real one.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 4 Aug 11 at 17:10
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - Woodster
I've read that about four time Zeddo and I'm still not sure I get it.... fick copper!!
>> I've read that about four time Zeddo and I'm still not sure I get it....
>> fick copper!!

Four Queens then!
 Unmarked police convoy on M25. - Iffy
As I recall, it was at the time of IRA bombings in London.

I reckon there was a convoy which served as a handy distraction.

There was quite a circus as the Queen boarded the train in Liverpool Street.

The platform nearest the taxi drop-off point was closed, as was the drop-off point for a few minutes as she arrived.

Lots of armed policemen around, including five or six lined up at intervals along the length of the train.

Latest Forum Posts