Motoring Discussion > Car insurance renewal quote too high Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: gramar Replies: 19

Car insurance renewal quote too high - gramar
It's the age old problem - got my renewal quote in the post yesterday and it's up a whopping £90 from last year - SAGA wants £373.47 FULL COMP (INLCUDES WIFE ON POLICY)

I'm 56, full clean licence, no convictions, no claims in past 5 years etc: car is group 9 (Group 1-20)

Would anyone in my age range like to suggest who I can try - I was previously with RIAS and Co-op.

Please don't suggest comparison sites - they usually disappoint. I'm aware that you only find out how good the insurer is when you make a claim and in my experience it doesn't pay to go too cheap.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Alanovich
Have you tried NFU?
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Fenlander
>>>don't suggest comparison sites - they usually disappoint

Why?
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - R.P.
Liverpool Victoria - came in at 321 quid or my X1 - including the chavvy wheels it now sports....
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Meldrew
My partner's insurance renewal came in the other day, £100 up from the £400 she paid last year. Several comparison sites came up with quotes that were a bit cheaper. Rang the current insurer and said" Do better than this or I'm off" and she finished up paying a nominal £3 increase.

Suggestion, get some other genuine quotes from anywhere and get on the phone to the current insurer and give them a chance.

I was with LV for years but, without any change in my circumstances, other than driving a really small dire car, they have consistently been VERY expensive. My best deal comes with E sure (who have stopped spending on advertising) and my partner is with Swift Cover and awful Iggy Popp!
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - R.P.
I'm an insurance tart - I'll be off to find a better deal next year if L&V goes up by more than say 5%.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Falkirk Bairn
Try Esure, I am £198 for group 11 car - 4 yrs ago it was £150 so £50 rise in 4 years seems reasonable considering some people have seen premiums doubled!
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - nice but dim
Have you still got the Xedos6 if you dont mind me asking?
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Falkirk Bairn
>> Have you still got the Xedos6 if you dont mind me asking?
>>
Xedos 6 is alive and used daily - in the depths of the 3 mth winter freeze the Xtrail would not start (3.5 yrs old) one day (-15C) and had to get GEM to start the car - the Xedos fired up 1st time on a 13 year old battery.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Cliff Pope
Privilege have come out the cheapest for me for several years now.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Iffy
I reckon insurers occasionally push for business and quote aggressively for a period of time.

Esure worked for me - renewal this month - so give them a try.

But you may as well run it through a comparison site, nothing to lose.

I've used GoCompare for the last three years, no problems with too much marketing email.

They send one when the renewal is due, which is quite handy.

Car insurance renewal quote too high - nice but dim
Wierd isnt it car insurance? I've just moved from Privilege to Admiral and saved £150 (well not technically saved, just saved paying more) but this was with a house move factored in. Priv wouldnt budge from the renewal price and when I mentioned the new address (higher risk) well over 4 figures!
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Mr. Ecs
Try AXA. They were the cheapest for me this year.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - apm
You'll find that your first year premium is discounted- if you stay the cost will revert to what the undiscounted cost would be. Generally though the threat to leave will get a lower premium.

Alex.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - RattleandSmoke
I am finding myself the traditional mainstream low risk companies who go after the middle aged with no claims etc are working out a lot cheaper than me than the budget ones.

Admiral wants £1500 for me next year, ,however I've had quotes of from Direct line and Churchill for £1000.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - MD
My Jimny £106.10 for next year.

The Colt £203.29.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Tigger
I'd recommend trying aviva
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - madf
>> I'd recommend trying aviva
>>

I switched to Aviva due to the discount.. no doubt I will switch again.
My wife's SAGA quote is just under £190 despite a bump...
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - Stuu
Cheapest deal I could get for my dad ( 72 ) on his Materia was from The AA although LV ran them very close.
 Car insurance renewal quote too high - CGNorwich
I would suggest that £373 for a group 9 car is probably not too bad depending on where you live. Get a quote form a comparison site and see if your current Insurer will match it. They usually will.
Latest Forum Posts