Motoring Discussion > McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 40

McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Falkirk Bairn
Minor injuries only

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-14414889

About 12/14 years ago he wrote off a Metro, near Lancaster, by rear ending it with the F1 IIRC
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - henry k
Looks like a minor fire so that will please the insurance co :-(

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3734958/Rowan-Atkinson-in-miracle-escape-from-car-crash.html
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Meldrew
ISTR recall that he was very fast, or even the fastest, Star in the Carp car just recently or I may have been watching a repeat on D*ve. Whenever it was he was fast!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 08:39
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Skoda
Unfortunate and i hope he's ok.

He deserves 11 out of 10 for actually using his F1 and not keeping it as a queen. Top man.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Alanovich
Agreed, Skoda.

I was once crossing Windsor High Street some time in the late eighties. I had somehow not noticed the Rowan Atkinson-piloted Lancia Delta Integrale howling down the road, and he had to brake heavily to avoid killing me. The car stopped just short as I jumped backwards slightly and I leant my hands on the bonnet as it stopped. He stuck his head out of the window and called me a copulating stupid little snip. Rightly so.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 7 Aug 11 at 17:51
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - teabelly
You were lucky he did stop. Integrale brakes aren't that good!
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Cliff Pope

"A Cambridgeshire Police spokeswoman said yesterday: “There has been a single vehicle road traffic collision near Haddon.”

Or translating that into English, a rich berk drove too fast and ran off the road into a tree.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Zero
I know the road, the A605. Its capable of being fast ok, with few tricky bends and mostly good visibility. Given the description, a sudden 3x 360 spin, and the fire, I would hazzard he blew the engine, which threw him off.

I have even had the lancer over the ton down there between the A1 and the speed camera at Elton.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 14:36
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - BobbyG
>>I have even had the lancer over the ton down there between the A1 and the speed camera at Elton.

Must have been a powerful tow car......... :)
A large section is downhill :p
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Runfer D'Hills
Surprised the doors didn't fall off like something out of Billy Smart's...
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - madf
the speedo is in km/hr.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Old Navy
>> the speedo is in km/hr.
>>

Must be one of these

tinyurl.com/3edkyzg
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Armel Coussine
One has to assume Rowan Atkinson can drive and has sensitive feet and buttocks. So perhaps MacLaren supercars are indeed the perverse waste of money I would expect them to be. Like many others of their class.
Good Lord, A$15k for one of those? I must start a business shipping them over there.
The cost of living in Oz is horrific at the moment, (petrol excepted).
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Dutchie
He stuch his head out the window after nearly killing you.? And had a lot off.

I'de giving him a black eye star or no star sorry.:)

McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - zippy
Perhaps he needs a speed awareness course?
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - henry k
Rowan Atkinson: I've learnt limitations following crash

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15111090
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - oilburner
Note he said his limitations, and his car's! Given than Rowan seems a pretty fair driver, the finger of blame is vaguely pointed at the over-rated F1, IMHO.
>> Note he said his limitations, and his car's! Given than Rowan seems a pretty fair
>> driver, the finger of blame is vaguely pointed at the over-rated F1, IMHO.

Grossly unfair and unwarranted there OB

Dont forget the F1 is basically very early 1990 technology, and Rowans car is 16 years old. Its still to this day the fastest normally aspirated road car. All the car has done has shown it needs skill and respect, and he failed to provide either.
My son in law did a similar thing (on a smaller scale) with his Honda S2000, discovered that it would swap ends rapidly if you accelerated hard in a damp bend. The only thing he damaged was his underpants and ears, silly (lucky) boy.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 11:10
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - oilburner
The F1 may be fast, but it ain't clever. I think it's fair to say that Rowan has demonstrated he's an above average driver, by some margin. I would portray the F1 more as a wild, uncontrollable mistress. Fun for a while, but sure to break your heart no matter how well you treat her...
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - VxFan
He's now selling it for 8 million pounds!

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classics/rowan-atkinson-on-his-mclaren-f1/

tinyurl.com/m2uvw89 - Daily Wail
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 25 Jan 15 at 04:09
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - Fullchat
Wonder if there is a 'Cat D' marker on it??
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - martint123
>> Wonder if there is a 'Cat D' marker on it??

There shouldn't be - the insurers paid for the repair.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - Dave_
Classic and Sportscar mag ran a piece about the post-Oundle-crash rebuild a couple of years ago, it's about 2/3 of the way down this page: upthear.se/2yz1

The car was rebuilt at the factory using original tooling and calling on the knowledge of a few now-retired McLaren engineers. IMO this makes the car worth even more, not less.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - Armel Coussine
It's a marvellous device but you would have to be insane to want to own one (let alone several).

If you want highly-strung and capable, what's wrong with a much cheaper and better-looking Maserati? That at least is a car, with others like it on the road. These million-quid one-offs simply don't look like fun to me.

What it's 'worth' is neither here nor there. Indeed the more it is supposed to be worth the less fun it's going to be. For confused nutters and racing drivers only.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 25 Jan 15 at 13:33
>> For confused nutters and racing drivers only.

In Rowan Atkinson's case a bit of both. I don't really think he's a confused nutter, but nor do I think having the money to pay for a Mclaren F1 is any reason to buy one.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - DP
>> It's a marvellous device but you would have to be insane to want to own
>> one (let alone several).
>>
>> If you want highly-strung and capable, what's wrong with a much cheaper and better-looking Maserati?
>> That at least is a car, with others like it on the road. These million-quid
>> one-offs simply don't look like fun to me.

I love the F1 for its zero compromise design, but what makes it truly special is that it came along at a sweet spot in automotive history where technology was (just) advanced enough to allow it to exist, but on the other hand environmental and safety legislation were still gentle enough to also allow it to exist. There will never be another car like this, because it is simply impossible under current legislation. It has no driver aids, for starters, something now illegal under EU legislation, and you wouldn't get this output from a modern emissions compliant engine without turbocharging, something Gordon Murray strictly ruled out in the quest for throttle response and consistency of delivery.

And that is what makes this car so special. No road car before or since had such a no-compromise approach to its design and specification. Everything was designed to strict weight limits, right down to the audio system. All materials and components were selected for suitability for purpose above all else, and it was said only two manufacturers in the world were capable of designing a naturally aspirated engine to meet the near impossible combination of power, driveability, reliability, weight and packaging that was required. They were Honda, who declined, and of course BMW who didn't.

627 bhp. 1138kg. No driver aids, and no turbos. It couldn't exist today.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - sooty123
>> Classic and Sportscar mag ran a piece about the post-Oundle-crash rebuild a couple of years
>> ago, it's about 2/3 of the way down this page: upthear.se/2yz1

Thanks for that interesting read.
>> >> Wonder if there is a 'Cat D' marker on it??
>>
>> There shouldn't be - the insurers paid for the repair.

Doesn't matter who paid for the repair. Cars can be repaired and the marker will still be on it.

IIRC though his F1 was declared a complete write off, but as it is so rare someone decided it was worth rebuilding as prices for a McLaren F1 will only keep on rising.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - Manatee
Value was somewhere north of £3m, rebuild cost c. £1m, so I suppose the insurers will have had a few meetings but it doesn't sound as if it was written off.
The whole story is stupid and offensive. The guy's an enthusiast but he should be ashamed of himself. It's just awful.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - Dave_
>> The whole story is stupid and offensive.

The whole top end of the classic car scene is stupid and offensive. I sometimes feel a little bit ashamed to be involved with it.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Sun 25 Jan 15 at 22:12
>> Value was somewhere north of £3m, rebuild cost c. £1m, so I suppose the insurers
>> will have had a few meetings but it doesn't sound as if it was written
>> off.

Given the choice of paying Mr Bean +£3m, or ~£1m to repair the car, it was an obvious choice for them to go for the lesser amount and not be quite so much out of pocket.
I take the point about the F1's purity and simplicity. Its colossal power-weight ratio and no-expense-spared super-stiff super-lightweight carbon fibre tub with alloy suspension and panelling. The thing is a marvel.

But it's too rare to count as a car in my book, an exotic. Even if you were super-rich you'd treat it with care except in a clumsy moment.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson is now selling his F1 - Slidingpillar
For F1 money, you could have an Alfa 8c 2300. Pretty much everything on the 8c would need to be made, but at least, quite a lot of bits I could fit. I'd be happy with the Alfa, and like the Morgan 3 wheeler, would be happy to take it to the supermarket and DIY sheds etc
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson has finally sold his F1 - VxFan
>> He's now selling it for 8 million pounds!

Sold for an undisclosed amount to a British buyer.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11660024/Rowan-Atkinson-sells-McLaren-F1.html

"Everyone is very pleased with the sale. There was interest from around the world and it has gone to a British buyer who will drive it like Rowan did."

That last bit doesn't sound too promising. Atkinson crashed it twice. Hopefully the new owner WON'T drive it like Atkinson did.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Jun 15 at 13:58
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson has finally sold his F1 - Armel Coussine
However much money has been spent restoring it, if I were in the market for that sort of car I wouldn't touch that example with a bargepole.

Straightened isn't quite the same as straight.
 McLaren - Mr Bean AKA Rowan Atkinson crashes his F1 - again! - Focusless
...and he's replaced it with - have a guess...

oh ok then - an i3
tinyurl.com/qbc548v (Mail)

Of course he's still got other supercars in his garage so it's more of an addition than a replacement - not such a good headline though :)
Latest Forum Posts