Motoring Discussion > Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 12

Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Meldrew
tinyurl.com/44c92ac

This is not all down to a reduction of traffic volume or people driving more slowly to save fuel, apparently
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Mapmaker
I don't understand how you can be so unwelcoming to an item of good news.

Deaths on the road are down, Meldrew doesn't approve.

Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Robbie34
>> I don't understand how you can be so unwelcoming to an item of good news.
>>
>> Deaths on the road are down, Meldrew doesn't approve.

Where does he say that he doesn't approve? Perhaps my comprehension is at fault.
Not yours - someone else's!
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Woodster
Looks like a win-win: deaths and casulaties down, cameras out. Good news! More seriously though, I think there are many factors that may contribute to a reduction in deaths/casualties. Road, design, signage, car design. I might also venture that a general reduction in speed within 30/40 limits plays its part. It does seem that drivers in general are more willing to abide by these limits. Maybe that's just my perception. The real indicator ought to be the number of injury accidents. That could be compared with previous years and thus we might be able to deduce whether it's car design/road design etc.
I would like to think that money saved by the withdrawal of speed cameras has been put into more pro-active safety measures and that these may have contributed to the general and substantial reduction in casualty numbers.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 13:17
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Zero
>> I would like to think that money saved by the withdrawal of speed cameras has
>> been put into more pro-active safety measures

I would like to think that. I would be prepared to bet it hasn't tho.

and that these may have contributed to the
>> general and substantial reduction in casualty numbers.

Based on my bet, I doubt that it is a factor.

I can see some sense, based on my own observation, in the the theory that it may be as a result of reduced traffic and reduced road speed due to the high cost of fuel.
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Westpig
>> >> I would like to think that money saved by the withdrawal of speed cameras
>> has
>> >> been put into more pro-active safety measures
>>
>> I would like to think that. I would be prepared to bet it hasn't tho.
>>
It would be a fairly safe bet.
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - henry k
Maybe the high cost of insurance for younsters has kept some of them ( the law abiding ones) off the road.
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Skip
"Maybe the high cost of insurance for younsters has kept some of them ( the law abiding ones) off the road."

It amazes me how many of the twenty something lads at work do not have driving licencies or any desire to learn to drive, and it's nothing to do with the cost of car ownership as they are well paid and have plenty of disposable income, they are simply just not interested. It isn't as if they live in a city with good public transport either. I find their attitude towards it unbelievable as myself and all of my mates couldn't wait for our 17th birthdays so that we could take to the roads !

Apologies for the thread drift !
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 6 Aug 11 at 18:29
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - Dutchie
Got my drivers licence mid thirties.

Cycling for over ten years to work twenty mile round trip.
 Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - madf
From the report:
"This coincided with an even more dramatic 35 per cent reduction in people killed in drink-drive accidents, with 250 deaths last year compared with 380 in 2009. "

Recession...

Numbers are down. Deaths, injuries and cameras. - spamcan61
>>
>> It amazes me how many of the twenty something lads at work do not have
>> driving licencies or any desire to learn to drive,
>>

I did learn to drive until I was 24 (in 1985), but I was considered pretty weird then (and now...)
Latest Forum Posts