Motoring Discussion > Sunglasses in the rain Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 34

Sunglasses in the rain - SteelSpark
You guys probably already know this, but it was news to me

www.snopes.com/autos/techno/sunglasses.asp

I actually had a chance to try it out with the rain in London yesterday, and it certainly seemed to work.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 11:55
 Sunglasses in the rain - Mapmaker
Note, polarised glasses only.

(I've no idea if it actually works, but it seemed to make sense that it would only work with polarised glasses, and this article confirms.)
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 12:01
 Sunglasses in the rain - Iffy
News to me, but I doubt my £1 shop sunplastics are polarised.

Sunglasses in the rain - SteelSpark
I was a bit surprised by the effect yesterday. It was raining quite hard, and the rain was very visible, but when I put on the glasses it almost seemed to disappear.
 Sunglasses in the rain - Skoda
The fishermen out of Fraserburgh (and i guess probably other places too!) wear sun glasses in the heavy rain.
Last edited by: Skoda on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 13:22
 Sunglasses in the rain - Runfer D'Hills
Iffy, Iffy, Iffy....stop now, it hurts ! You seriously need an accessory overhaul. Let's start with the shoes and work up...

:-)
... Let's start with the shoes and work up...

Those £6 suede slip-ons I bought are still going strong.

Unlike the nine-year-old Malaysian girl who made them, who has since died of over-work.

Sunglasses in the rain - Mapmaker
>> Unlike the nine-year-old Malaysian girl who made them, who has since died of over-work.

LOL!
...LOL!...

Thank goodness for that, crack a joke on here and you don't know what the reaction will be.

I was, of course, making a serious point in a sarcastic manner.

And in an attempt to take the world's most boring photo:

tinyurl.com/3qy9xpl
Ye Gods ! That's it. I give up.

...Ye Gods ! That's it. I give up...

Pretty stylish, huh?

I only wear them for best.

Sunglasses in the rain - Zero
>> ...Ye Gods ! That's it. I give up...
>>
>> Pretty stylish, huh?
>>
>> I only wear them for best.
>
Good Lord, steal them from Bilbo Baggins did you?
 Sunglasses in the rain - sherlock47

And in an attempt to take the world's most boring photo:

tinyurl.com/3qy9xpl

They are mine - stolen under cover of darkness from outside a tent somewhere in Yorkshire;)
...They are mine - stolen under cover of darkness from outside a tent somewhere in Yorkshire;)...

Caught, dammit, and I thought the insoles and close cropping of the pic would keep me safe.

Dropped lucky there then pmh...
 Sunglasses in the rain - sherlock47
On close examination of the picture it looks like you have cut the insoles out of used cornflake packets. To keep the rain out from the holes in the soles?
...On close examination of the picture it looks like you have cut the insoles out of used cornflake packets...

I'll have you know the insoles are Scholl ones - a rare premium brand footwear purchase on my part.

Funny you should mention soles, the soles of my previous pair split under the ball of the foot.

Rest of the shoe still looked as good as ever.

...Dropped lucky there then pmh...

Thought you'd given up?

You're drawn to them, aren't you?

I know you secretly fancy a pair.

So do lots of other people by the look of it, the shop's put up the price:

www.wynsors.com/revolt-p-14305.html

Revolt(ing)? How very apt....
 Sunglasses in the rain - corax
>> tinyurl.com/3qy9xpl

But you have good taste in computers.
 Sunglasses in the rain - R.P.
Meanwhile,

I was pondering this only yesterday...

I have a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses, they are superb for driving in all conditions - they are very restful even when grey clouds provide a low fluffy ceiling....they eliminate any unwanted dashboard reflections (not much of a problem in the X1 anyway) - on the bike they are useless, from behind a visor they produce the most amazingly distracting colours on other car windscreens, especially those with metallic glazing. Going into tunnels wearing them is plain dangerous. This has now largely resolved by wearing my Schuberth helmet - this has a flip down internal dark visor app. Apart from being dangerously cool, it means I can wear standard glasses and instantly flip up the inner visor when entering a tunnel. Trouble is both visors need to be scrupulously clean, especially the inner one.

I will experiment with the glasses the next time it rains up here....could be some time.

On the subject of el-cheapo suede shoes, I lost a pair of 99p Amazon slip ons (very similar to iffy's) on the M40 when the pannier of the RT flew open. I feel the bike was actually trying to tell me something.....
It was Rob, it definitely was. We, on average get our three score years and ten and a bit. There is no time for bad shoes. If one has already reached the half way mark or more do you really want to spend those precious few remaining active years in crap shoes? I think not....Pride is all which remains and once that has gone the end is in sight.
Hence the hideously expensive Salomons and Brashers I now wear as everyday walking equipment...
I feel a Prof Higgins sort of glow....

Sunglasses in the rain - corax
>> I have a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses, they are superb for driving in all
>> conditions - they are very restful even when grey clouds provide a low fluffy ceiling

Agreed, I have a pair of Oakley prescriptions with polarised wrap around lenses. They are superb for running and driving. They keep the wind and insects out of your eyes as well as the sun. I had to get them via the internet which was a bit worrying as I wondered whether they would be made up correctly. Also I was lucky as I was right on the limit for their prescription lenses - the lenses range from 2 to 5mm thick at the edges (!) but aren't noticeable when wearing them. I also have an older pair of wrap around Arnettes for work, but I prefer the Oakleys as they have a lighter tint. The only thing that I've found with them is that they distort LCD readouts - they seem to turn them into a 3D effect.

Of course Oakley lenses also have the advantage of stopping a .22 calibre bullet without shattering - useful when you're dodging snipers - although I think snipers use slightly heavier duty ammo...
 Sunglasses in the rain - WillDeBeest
Just looking at that site makes my arches ache.

As for lenses, pedantry alert but they are more likely to be polarizing than polarized. That's how they cut out most of the scattered (hence unpolarized) light from the raindrops on the screen and the wet road - and, unintentionally, all the polarized light from the display of my Volvo's audio unit.

Come to think of it, even polarizing can't be quite right, since the lenses don't actually change the polarization of any waves; they merely block any that that don't match their own orientation, leaving what passes through all polarized in the same plane.

Anyway, whatever you call them, they are absolutely the best thing for driving, under a surprising variety of conditions. Will that do?
}:---)
You have a point, bizzarely the climate controls "disappear" in the X1, but other identically hued displays don't most odd.
...You have a point, bizzarely the climate controls "disappear" in the X1...

Worth a try if you get nicked for speeding - I've heard worse.

Although driving without being able to see the speedo is probably due care and attention, so perhaps not.

The big, friendly, sensible Speedo is visible in all light (apart in an eyes shut situation)
 Sunglasses in the rain - WillDeBeest
Try tilting your head (with the glasses on!) and see what happens.

And don't mention Speedos in case you wake Humph up again.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 5 Aug 11 at 17:53
I've done head tilting...:-)
 Sunglasses in the rain - -
You lot have just cost me a lot of nickers, bleating on about these blessed polarized glasses, i've just been and forked out for a pukka pair of Polaroid Aviators.
Thought about fashion designs...for a millisecond, but then sanity thankfully returned.

hey dude cool, me shiny tanker won't dazzle quite so much...oops that's torn it, goodbye sun and summer, hello torrential rain for the rest of the year.
 Sunglasses in the rain - Zero
you'll be driving in cowboy boots next...
 Sunglasses in the rain - bathtub tom
>>i've just been and forked out for a pukka pair of Polaroid Aviators.

And Stu getting his air-con re-gassed. I'm gonna wear shorts today, that'll make it snow tomorrow.
 Sunglasses in the rain - CGNorwich

Definitely the best glasses for glare - only trouble is trying to read the sat nav or radio display as the glass in these is polarised in the opposite direction to the sunglasses.

Latest Forum Posts