Motoring Discussion > Police cars - satnav? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 4

Police cars - satnav? - Dieselboy
I've watched 'Traffic Cops', 'Coppers' and 'Road Wars' in the last few days and have noticd how police cars seem to have TomTom satnavs. We in the Ambulance Service have nifty built in satnavs that are connected to our internal onboard computers. They update automatically on receipt of a 'job'.

Appreciated that we travel long distances, but do the Police really rely on local knowledge and A-Zs?
 Police cars - satnav? - Meldrew
I think their prime navaid will be the TTs that you mention, followed by local knowledge and paper maps, in that order.
 Police cars - satnav? - a900ss
>> I think their prime navaid will be the TTs that you mention, followed by local
>> knowledge and paper maps, in that order.
>>

Although i'm not a police officer, I know many.

From this I would suggest the order is:

Local knowledge followed by TT. Then followed by getting on their radio and asking the control room.
Last edited by: a900ss on Sat 6 Aug 11 at 08:59
 Police cars - satnav? - Dutchie
A few weeks ago there was a program on the local TV station here, ambulances getting lost in Linconshire.The excuse was it being a rural area.

Sat Nav is fine,but local knowledge is essential in my opinion.
 Police cars - satnav? - Dieselboy
Very true. I will often ignore the satnav when in my own area. However, it proved invaluable in the early hours of last Saturday morning when we ended up running around Manchester - 40 miles out of our area.
Latest Forum Posts