Motoring Discussion > Car rubbish bin. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 27

Car rubbish bin. - Pat
What do we all do with the inevitable rubbish that collects in a car?

I know none of us here throw it out of the window but there never seems to be anywhere to put it until you get home.

Why don't cars have a small device to clip a carrier bag onto so that it can be kept tidy and emptied regularly?

Has anyone solved this problem?

Pat

Car rubbish bin. - Meldrew
I guess one could clip or peg a supermarket disposable carrier bag onto the "lip" of one of the pockets on the back of the front seats? The only rubbish I seem to generate is sweet wrappings and I put them in an open topped stowage at the back of my centre console. I don't do drinks on board.
 Car rubbish bin. - Zero
Passenger footwell floor. Nicole cleans it out when she can no longer get in.,
 Car rubbish bin. - BobbyG
My passenger footwell seems to get filled with plastic bottles. Taking two kids to various tae kwon do, football, athletics etc and they always get in the car with a bottle of water but it seems to rarely find its way back out until I can bear it no longer and scoop them all up.

As I am pretty much in the car myself apart from the evening children's taxi, rubbish usually gets put on passenger seat and lifted out at the end of the journey.
 Car rubbish bin. - Iffy
There were a couple of car rubbish bins available from car accessory shops.

One fitted over the the transmission tunnel behind the front seats, the other was smaller and clipped to the inside of the door where the trim meets the window.
 Car rubbish bin. - R.P.
My old CRV had a "curry clip" in the passenger foot-well..I suppose you could use that. The Roomster had a VAG option for a net that sat between the front seats, clipping - it could be used litter bag I suppose.
 Car rubbish bin. - Mike Hannon
I don't really understand this. Why should rubbish accumulate in the car?
I get the occasional build-up of specks of this and that on the footwell mats, like everyone else, but a good brush or even an occasional vacuum is all they need. And my collection of international car park tickets is hidden away in the otherwise unused front ashtray. I've never found a use for a cup-holder or curry hook in my life.
Long ago I taught SWMBO how to eat in the car without dropping crumbs, which has proved very useful over the years.
Prevention is better than cure.

Removes tongue from cheek...
 Car rubbish bin. - R.P.
The curry hook was/is very useful. None in the X1 - I expect I should have my curry delivered now ?
 Car rubbish bin. - VxFan
>> I don't really understand this. Why should rubbish accumulate in the car?

Quite. But if the windows couldn't be opened, then it might ;o)
 Car rubbish bin. - WillDeBeest
I remember a 1975 Capri in which I occasionally travelled to school, which had a plastic bin with bendy arms that gripped the tunnel just aft of the front seats. Don't think it was a Ford factory original but it was a similar shade of blue to the other interior plastics.

Predictably, Volvo has thought of this problem, although disappointingly not made the solution standard equipment. You get the windscreen clip for car park tickets as standard but the bag holder to put them in afterwards costs extra. I didn't order one with mine and I occasionally wish I had; this Amazon link suggests I could still have one: tinyurl.com/S60bagholder
 Car rubbish bin. - Mike Hannon
Very interesting. What sort of human being could ever add something like that to a 'wish list'? ;-)
 Car rubbish bin. - Stuu
I have a shelf that runs most of the way under my dashboard. Great place for quickly chucking stuff out the way till you get near a bin to empty it.

Not all cars these days are designed with storage in mind though, some very fancy dashboards about that have almost nowhere to put anything.
 Car rubbish bin. - bathtub tom
I don't see what the problem is, the Werther's wrappers add a certain je ne sais quoi.
Here is Halford's version of what I suggested earlier but a lot more expensive!

tinyurl.com/3esaloh
 Car rubbish bin. - Old Navy
tinyurl.com/3v35njy
 Car rubbish bin. - zookeeper
my old fiesta was so filthy you had to wipe your feet when you got out of it
 Car rubbish bin. - CGNorwich
"Has anyone solved this problem?"

This should do the trick.

www.metalinventions.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=24
 Car rubbish bin. - Crankcase
There was a time, perhaps, when writing copy as badly as that would have reflected on a company's reputation.

I wonder if it still does or if these days nobody cares.

Car rubbish bin. - zookeeper
wouldnt it just be easier to shove the bins to the curb rather than faff about with this contraption? if i recall the binmen come to you.
They only come to where your access meets the public road, in my case this is the 50 ft length of my drive. If you live 300 yards up a farm track you have to get the bins to the bottom of it for collection.
 Car rubbish bin. - Zero

>> I wonder if it still does or if these days nobody cares.

This is a time when people look at the product not the copy.
 Car rubbish bin. - teabelly
www.allysonhill.com/

She's come up with something. Lots of different designs.
 Car rubbish bin. - Alastairw
A common solution I have seen is a supermarket carrier with one handle over the gear lever, with the bag allowed to drape into the passenger footwell.
 Car rubbish bin. - Ted

I don't generate much rubbish...maybe the odd coffee cup and sandwich wrapper if I'm out and about in the city. I screw the wrapper up and put it in the cup. If there's a bin near where my job is then I'll dump it.
Otherwise it's home and the wheely.
I don't do sweets, being diabetic. Maybe a sugar free mint...the wrappers go between the seat and the tunnel until cleared out.
I have a supply of choc bars for emergencies, they.re in the bin in the boot floor so I can't just grab one....out of temptation's way, so to speak.
I carry a couple of bottles of Lucozade as well.

Ted
 Car rubbish bin. - Dutchie
Diana creates the rubbish when we'r on our travels.Anywhere where there is space it goes.

Petrol or food stop, rubbish in a bin.I have a slurp of whiskey in peace.;)
 Car rubbish bin. - Oldgit
What on earth are the inside of poster's houses like, if they treat their cars like rubbish bins? I can only hazard a guess, although my analogy or suggestion here, may be completely unfounded.
 Car rubbish bin. - Bromptonaut
>> What on earth are the inside of poster's houses like, if they treat their cars
>> like rubbish bins?

Read somewhere that men have tidy cars and messy houses while with women it's the other way round.
 Car rubbish bin. - Iffy
...Read somewhere that men have tidy cars and messy houses while with women it's the other way round...

Might be something in that.

A woman I know has a Volvo estate which is always a tip inside and rarely washed, but she is very house proud.

Her husband is a doctor, and his car is very tidy, but I think it has to be to deter thieves.
Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 11 Aug 11 at 16:11
Latest Forum Posts