Motoring Discussion > What size car for USA flydrive? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stu Replies: 24

What size car for USA flydrive? - Stu
Hello I'm due to going on holiday in the USA in less than 2 months but haven't choosen the size of car we'll be using when we are there. We are starting in San Franciso and going onto Yosemite, Death Valley, Monument valley, Arches, Canyon lands,Zion etc and finishing outside of Las Vegas (can't remember the exact route right now and other places as my girlfriend has sorted all that!).
We did a similiar trip last year and booked an intermediate size saloon and ended up with a Cheverolet Malibu twice during the trip at 2 different depots. The car was fine and about the right size (although not as nice as the Impala we had in Orlando the other year) but we were thinking of going for the mid size SUV which is apparently a Ford Escape or similiar.
Does anyone have any experience of this size of rental car in the US as I do quite fancy going for the 4x4 but just worried about boot space and possible extra fuel costs over an intermediate?
There will only be 2 of us and two large suitcases and some smaller bags etc which shouldn't be a problem most of the time but at a few of the stops we'll have to leave the luggage in the car while we go walking in the parks and I don't like the idea of our cases being on show. Last year we had to leave all our luggage in our car ocassionally but it was obviously hidden from view in the boot.
Any suggestions or shall I just stick with the safe option and go for the intermediate/mid size?
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Stuu
In the land of plenty, surely the biggest land yacht possible is the only sensible option, only live once :-)
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Zero
Two large suitcases and some smaller bags? for two of you?

Me n' er indoors did a similar road trip last year with much less luggage so we could hire a soft top Get her trained man!

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 8 Aug 11 at 17:23
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Old Navy
Personally I would go for a mid sized saloon, SUVs are a compromise and you will want comfort for the distances involved, not off road ability.
>> Personally I would go for a mid sized saloon, SUVs are a compromise and you
>> will want comfort for the distances involved, not off road ability.

Americans seem to cope with them ok! Its US roads remember!
 What size car for USA flydrive? - rtj70
Since you're driving a long distance go for a large car that's a good cruiser. And hopefully with a decent sized engine so running the aircon when driving across Death Valley doesn't put too much strain on it.

You don't mention a budget though.
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Old Navy
>> Americans seem to cope with them ok! Its US roads remember!
>>

So do urban mums in the UK, (some can cope, most can't), it doesn't make them the best option though.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 8 Aug 11 at 17:33
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Stu
Hi thanks for the quick replies already. I thought 2 large cases and couple of smaller ones wasn't bad going for a nearly 3 week holiday last year! Did need to make sure had plenty of fresh clothes though especially when out walking in the parks and needed normal clothes for the evening and in the day for San Francisco, Vegas and Scotsdale plus walking boots etc. But still I'm guessing my clothes took up a lot less room than hers!
Re the air con, in Death Valley last year we went in July and the temparate reached 126 and with the air con on full in the car it still felt warm!
Budget should be ok as the mid size SUV is apparently only around £50 extra over the mid size saloon but the larger SUV will be a lot more I think.
Do you think the mid size SUV will be big enough for the luggage as we'll be away for 21 nights altogether?

>> Do you think the mid size SUV will be big enough for the luggage as
>> we'll be away for 21 nights altogether?

www.ford.com/suvs/escape/gallery/photos/interior/
 What size car for USA flydrive? - legacylad
Whenever we go we always get a Mustang soft top from Hertz. I know they are cheap & plasticky and the 4.0 V6 can be arthritic, but I have yet to find a renter with the V8.
I have just helped a friend of mine design a 3 week route for his recently married daughter, who has a belated honeymoon starting from SFO in mid Sept. They have got a Mustang.
In black, with cream leather, they look quite nice.
Venturing inland from Carmel to Yosemite last year we had to put the roof up for a few hours it was so hot! But we got over it.
Not recommended in winter though, especially if you are trying to enjoy snowsports.
>> they have got a Mustang. In black, with cream leather, they look quite nice.

Hope they get one then... you rent a particular class of vehicle as you know. Although likely to be a Mustang as it's American.
 What size car for USA flydrive? - R.P.
We got a blood red Mustang last year - a soft-top with the v6 - part of the bucket list. On a more serious note Japanese and Euroboxes have far better boots than homegrown cars - you have to be very lucky to get all that kit in the boot.
When I was last there relatives were travelling after the wedding we'd all gone for. Four of them in a mid-size type car. It was tiny inside but okay for a few days.

We picked them up in a mini bus anyway so luggage not an issue. But we had to force them to change (oldies!). Their luggage would not fit with the four of them. They ended up with a van/MPV.
You really need to conceal your luggage - otherwise it's an open invitation to break in.
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Dutchie
I would go for a mid size saloon big boot 2 litre.

Luggage out of sight.Still got to be vigilant I got lost once in Miami ended up in a rough area.

Got out safely.;)
In the coupe that was the car I mention above.... Uncle got lost in a bad area of SF! And would not listen to me how to get on the freeway.
 What size car for USA flydrive? - zippy
You will feel small in anything less than a Freelander sized car.

Also, it is important to consider that cars over there tend to have a book rather than a hatch and therefore are not as flexible.

We got a Durnago. It is about the size of a Discovery but no where near as well put together.

It is AWD and should be automatic. It is has a 3 speed gearbox and its a hatchback.

Take your own sat nav with American maps and change the voice to USA English so that it will pronounce the road names properly. It will probably work out cheaper than hiring one locally.

Agree with the above though I had Basil Fawlty on my Tom Tom !
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Auntie Lockbrakes
3-box saloon for long-distance cruising with a propoer boot to conceal luggage. Something like a Nissan Maxima 2.5. With 2 passengers you really don't need anything supersize.

I booked a Rav4 or similar last month, and foolishly took the size upgrade on arrival: a Chevy Traverse 3.6. Think of a Kia Sportage but 75% bigger. I really didn't need the extra space, or the low 20s mpg for 275 mile the freeway drive I made.

Petrol was US$3.70/gallon and rising btw...
 What size car for USA flydrive? - legacylad
The Hertz fleet is Ford, and the only Ford convertible is a Mustang.
We met renters with Chrysler Sebrings. Oh dear.
And we email the rental office, and/or ring in advance just to make sure, before we depart, that all is in order.
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Bagpuss
The most comfortable cars for cruising any distance in the US are the saloons, intermediate size upwards. The Chevrolet Impala is not going to set any pulses racing but is quiet, comfortable for 4 and with a good sized boot.

None of the home grown SUVs come close to meeting those criteria and the cramped cabin, bouncy suspension and fuel consumption which characterises Trailblazers, Grand Cherokees and the like soon causes the novelty to wear thin. I once got 9mpg from a Grand Cherokee in a week spent driving round Atlanta.

I've been increasingly offered foreign models as rental cars. On the last visit I actually got a Passat CC and the time before it was a Volvo S40. Also had a Toyota Camry, dull as dishwater but far nicer to drive than the alternative which was the frankly horrible Chrysler Sebring
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Alanovich
Much as I loathe American cars, I'd be disappointed to get a European car as a rental over there. I'd want the worst, most tasteless and hideous saloon car available. In Florida once I got one such thing, I can't remember what it was now but perhaps a Buick. White, and with a bright red interior. And when I say red interior, I mean everything, without exception, was red. Seats, dash, carpets, handbrake, seat belts, reef lining, everything. An utter, utter, abomination, but I really enjoyed it as part of a US experience.
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Bagpuss
>> I'd want the worst, most tasteless and hideous saloon car available.

I know what you mean. Back in the 90s I drove a few mobile gin palaces. To be honest the only tasteless and hideous US cars available these days are the really expensive ones. Lincoln Town Cars, Cadillac Escalades, that sort of thing. The more run of the mill models have had every bit of chintz and chrome cost reduced out of them. The interiors of modern Chevrolets and Chryslers make Kias seem excessively glitzy.

Colleague of mine on my last trip ended up with a Chrysler 300M, the latest model. The previous one I think was the by far the nicest US model to drive, its achilles heel was the build quality. The latest one unfortunately is worse to drive than its predecessor and the build quality is frankly shocking. My colleague's example had around 2,000 miles on the clock. The level of wear on the dull grey plastics used for the entire interior - making it look like a 1980s Hyundai - suggested more like 200,000.
 What size car for USA flydrive? - Bill Payer
>> Much as I loathe American cars, I'd be disappointed to get a European car as
>> a rental over there. I'd want the worst, most tasteless and hideous saloon car available.

Totally agree - you generally get Japanese or Korean cars as rentals now, and I've used the "but I want an American car" argument successfully to get a bigger vehicle several times. I got a Cadillac Escalade in Florida last year which was awesome!

I'm baffled by the posters who think SUV's are uncomfortable - the US ones are sprung for comfort and are effortless to drive. The elevated driving position is a lot better for touring. They do vary a bit in quality, but I've had several Grand Cherokees and Durangos and they've been fine. Has a GMC Acadia crossover (but looked like an SUV) a couple of years ago and they're regarded as not being very good but it was all but silent on the road and extremely comfortable. SUVs inthe US are often only 2WD but MPG isn't great which may be an issue on a long trip.

Boot space for two people should be fine in mid-size SUV and anyway, the rear seat split folds. The windows will be very dark from the B paost back so you can't easily see into the car, altough light coloured things ars visible. It is a bit on an issue vs a boot, but it's usually obvious if a car has a loaded boot and they're very easy to force.

>> I've been increasingly offered foreign models as rental cars. On the last visit I actually
>> got a Passat CC and the time before it was a Volvo S40. Also had
>> a Toyota Camry, dull as dishwater but far nicer to drive than the alternative which
>> was the frankly horrible Chrysler Sebring

I did over a thousand miles last year in a Sebring rag top, and actually it did the job well, it suited US roads and US driving. Wouldnt want one over here, but it was on the money over there.
Latest Forum Posts