Motoring Discussion > Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 26

Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - RattleandSmoke
My car insurance is due in October, so I did a quote via Directline and it came back £500 cheaper than I am currently paying, and £1000 cheaper than the quote I got from them last year.

So for the first time in my life, providing I have no accidents etc I will be paying less than £600 for car insurance. Not bad considering I live in the middle of Manchester [although a decent part] and only been driving three years.

The reason it is so cheap? I suspect it is because it asks gave me three options about how long I have been driving and the one I picked was "three or more years". However I have no been driving three years yet, but from the insurance start date I will have, so it is ok to put that isn't it?

Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Zero

>> The reason it is so cheap? I suspect it is because it asks gave me
>> three options about how long I have been driving and the one I picked was
>> "three or more years". However I have no been driving three years yet, but from
>> the insurance start date I will have, so it is ok to put that isn't
>> it?
Yes. Its factual at the time the policy starts.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - -
Well done Rattie, that's more like it.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - mikeyb
Thought you had already been through this a few weeks back and the quotes were in the thousands???? Whats changed?
I put that I had been driving for three years this time, so I am guessing that is what has made the big difference.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Alastairw
Funny though, several women in the office have been saying their insurance has shot up by 40 or even 50% at this renewal, with no change in circumstances or claims. Are the insurers taking up this equality thing I have been hearing so much about.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Meldrew
Yes - they are not allowed to differentiate between the sexes when calculating premiums. Naturally women's premiums have gone up rather than men's one going down
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Zero
>> Yes - they are not allowed to differentiate between the sexes when calculating premiums. Naturally
>> women's premiums have gone up rather than men's one going down

Equality has its price.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - mikeyb
I wonder if the the boy/girl equality thing is starting to filter down?

Just had the renewall for Mrs B's insurance and it looks like we will be paying 50 quid more however I cut it. Only difference is 3 points dropped of my licence and her no fault claim is 5 years ago so no need to declare anymore......
With me I think it is really simple, Directline no longer class me as a young/new driver.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Dutchie
Daughter pays eleven hundred pound,she drives a Fiat Panda.One claim she be 26 in october.

Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Dave_
>> Directline no longer class me as a young/new driver

Good. The idea of getting a low group car is finally coming good too.

Of course the Panda is only worth half its new value now ;)
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - nice but dim
Same age as Rattle thereabouts and I have just paid £615 fully comp on group 15 V6 Mazda fully comp with 8 years (driving 11 years) protected no claims via Admiral

EDIT: forgot to say as my area in which I live is deemed high risk so well happy with price
Last edited by: nice but dim on Mon 15 Aug 11 at 22:41
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - AnotherJohnH
This may be relevant too:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23474426
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Falkirk Bairn
As an old codger I shake my head seeing premiums of £1000 for small runabouts.

I insure 2 x cars a newish CRV & a 15 yr old Xedos for slightly over £320.

2 x sons (36yo) pay £550 for a new Cayenne (clean licence) and £450 for a new Panamera (4 points) and they commute/work in a city!
This is a very old thread, I pay around £500 a year now for my Panda with the no claims protection.

My dad who is 61 got a quote for just over £200 for the Hyundai i10, and that is a central Manchester pot code, although he pays more as he has the no claims protection and all the other add ons.

As my insurance is due in October I thought I would play around, my cheapest quote is now £260!!.

Loads coming back at £300 or so as well. This is great news as I can pay it off cash and then use the savings I make to pay off my car loan quicker.
I have just run my details thru a price comparison site. Over 70, 2 litre Focus, 12k miles a year and SDP use. Premiums with PNCB ranged between£201 and £430 and one isolated one of £5840!
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - madf
>> I have just run my details thru a price comparison site. Over 70, 2 litre
>> Focus, 12k miles a year and SDP use. Premiums with PNCB ranged between£201 and £430
>> and one isolated one of £5840!
>>

No Foucs is over 70...
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - No FM2R
www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-FOCUS-ARTHUR-MILLER-BOOK-HC-DJ-BOOK-CLUB-1945-/251135532989
Over 70 is my age innit?
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - MJW1994
Anything under £1500 is cheap to me!
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - madf
Just renewed Swmbo's car insurance with Saga. They offer to meet any like for like quote so saved £60 on their quote.. net cost £156...
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - Fullchat
Just had a mailshot from Confused.com. On the Ceed. RIAS where coming in at £122, a few around the £183 mark and Bell at £315 (err no thanks).
£200 is my benchmark and have not exceeded it for many many years.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - The Nut
>> £200 for the Hyundai i10, and that is a central Manchester pot code

Saying central Manchester is a bit vague, insurance varies allot over small distances. Last year we moved house, less than a mile up the road and both houses have the same first half to the postcode, insurance dropped from £700 to £400, and that was the renewal, no shopping around.
 Car insurance - £500 cheaper - confused.me - CGNorwich
www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

Check how desirable your post code is.
It is off the scale, it is down as refer. I actually live in a good part of Manchester but car crime has always been an issue, there are a lot of very expensive cars round here as well which makes the problem worse.

My mates insurance did go down when he moved form east Manchester to Didsbury though, despite both postcodes been down as 'refer'.

I am just very pleased to finally have affordable car insurance.
Latest Forum Posts