Motoring Discussion > Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 13

Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - Londoner
www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/new_car_awards/

RR Evoque awarded "Car of the Year"

Now there's a surprise . . . not!

A good car, certainly, but a bit of patriotism creeping into the judgment maybe?
Or maybe its a thin year?

It's all personal, of course, but I would have thought that it was between the Skoda Superb, the Peugeot RCZ and the Audi A1. I'd give it to the Skoda.
Last edited by: Londoner on Sun 21 Aug 11 at 21:45
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - mikeyb
I guess if you are basing it on 2011 launches then that rules the others out
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - rtj70
The Superb and the RCZ has been around for a few years now. I think the Yeti won the Autoexpress award last year. Not sure I'd say the Audi A1 is better than the Evoque though.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 21 Aug 11 at 22:35
>> Not sure I'd say the Audi A1 is better than the Evoque though.
>>
I think that you are right, it isn't.
It is a more significant car, though. The A1 moves the game on in its sector, whereas the Evoque doesn't really bring anything new to its already overcrowded sector. Volvo, BMW, Audi, Honda all have cars which are arguably superior, while Nissan, VW and Ford have cars which are better value.

(And don't get me started on its looks - a marmite car if ever there was one!)
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - Zero

>> It is a more significant car, though. The A1 moves the game on in its
>> sector,

So in what way does an A1 move its sector on? Apart from adding several grand onto the price of the Polo it really is?
>> So in what way does an A1 move its sector on? Apart from adding several
>> grand onto the price of the Polo it really is?
>>
The real significance of the A1 is that it provides a genuine choice for people who want a premium supermini (or to downsize without feeling that they have also gone a bit "downmarket" as well).

What Car made the A1 their car of the year. The readers of that magazine said that it was the most eagerly awaited car of 2011 in their poll as well.

I don't think, that it is fair to call the A1 a Polo. VAG share a lot of mechanical components, it is true, but not all. Both the interior and external styling are better than the rather drab Polo, and a higher proportion of quality fittings are used. The A1 is not just a Polo with a different badge stuck on to it.

Whether that justifies the price premium is down to personal taste. Personally, I'd go for a Fiesta/Fabia if I wanted this size of car, but I do recognize the significance of what the A1 represents in its sector.

Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - corax
>> www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/new_car_awards/
>>
>> RR Evoque awarded "Car of the Year"

Car of the year for what reason? Yeah, it looks purposeful in a mean sort of way, and I'm sure it drives well, but judging by Land Rovers past efforts, there will no doubt be a long list of ailments a few years down the line.
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - rtj70
Corax probably thinks Land Rover is part of British Leyland or something ;-)

I'm not saying they are ultra reliable either mind.
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - Boxsterboy
Far from it. Bottom of Warranty Direct's Reliability Index for the last 10 years says a lot!
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - Alastairw
But the Freelander (on which the Evoque is based) is the best for LR reliability, istr. There was no problem with Jag X type quality while it was built at Halewood, either.
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - R.P.
Pressed my nose up against the glass of a parked one, the interior is a little disappointing, down to a budget maybe ?
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - Runfer D'Hills
An Evoque passed me on the M6 today. Looked like it had upset the same elephant which sat on the latest Scirocco. One of those new MGs too, it had the opposite problem in being far too bland.
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - The Melting Snowman
It looks great - the missus is putting her name down on the list for one. She will have that and I shall have the XF for retirement. We prefer to support our own factories, there's enough of our own out of work.
 Land Rover - Britain’s best new cars - Bill Payer
>> We prefer
>> to support our own factories, there's enough of our own out of work.
>>
Thankyou for that.

Apparently many of these mid-size SUVs, such as Evoque, X3, Q5, Tiguan etc, are on tremendous leadtimes. I wonder where the buyers are coming from - ie which cars are losing out in the switch to SUVs?
Latest Forum Posts